Burning 2x4's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a bunch of 2x4 ends and other demensional lumber ends in my basement and was wondering if it's ok to burn in my stove, does anyone do this.

I like to save the short cut-offs and split them up for kinlin. I just toss them in a 5 gal pail and let them accumulate. If I have a whole bunch of cut-offs with nails in them from the pallets I collect, I save them and burn them on a warmer. I burn them in a small pile so all the nals are kept to the center of the stove then I fish them out with a magnet...

I believe he has a cat stove and might be inquiring if its safe for the cat. While IDK how PT lumber would effect the cat, I probably wouldnt gamble on burning it.

SPF cutoffs are fine for a wood stove as long as you don't over feed and get the stove too hot.

I have a bunch of 2x4 ends and other demensional lumber ends in my basement and was wondering if it's ok to burn in my stove, does anyone do this.

People working in sawmills used to (may still do) heat their houses every year with the trim ends. Park truck at the end of the cut off conveyor and load up during breaks.

Harry K

The stove in my shop burns mostly tablesaw scraps. Good stuff. I even throw in a bit of treated wood, but only if I somehow missed the occasional piece when taking it to the dumpster.

I also burn my uglies out there, but my ugly pile is growing and I don't know where to get rid of it. I hate to throw out all that good wood.

I throw whatever in the box... whatever is handy, whatever I wanna' dispose of.
You don't even wanna' know what the box out in the shop has converted into heat and ash.
However, I will tell you the glue used in plywood burns really, really hot and gets a good fire goin' real quick.

Marshy is right, those cat stoves are expensive and fussy. Too much heat might melt things it shouldn't. Throw a few in at a time and be safe.
It has nothing to do with the heat on the cat and everything to do with chemicals from PT wood doing harm to the cat. Prolonged and direct flame on the cat can damage it but chemicals and solvents being burnt are a larger concern.
My stove doesnt have a cat so I can burn whatever I like. I only burn small piles of the cutoffs with nails because I don't want to fish for them through the whole firebox to retrieve them. Otherwise I wouldn't think twice about burning a whole bunch of kiln dried wood.

I looked at some fancy little stove for a guy from work last summer and it had some kind of exchanger inside it. I assume it was a cat but I have no idea. It was cracked from over heating, at least that's what the owner said. He used to burn popcorn dry cherry in it and figured that's what cracked it.
My father in law used to burn OSB (chipboard) in his shop stove using straight black pipe thru the roof. Went in for lunch one day and forgot to close the air off. Came back hour later to a boiling hot shop and a cherry red stove. No more OSB after that one. Everything in moderation I say.

The stove in my shop burns mostly tablesaw scraps. Good stuff. I even throw in a bit of treated wood, but only if I somehow missed the occasional piece when taking it to the dumpster.

I also burn my uglies out there, but my ugly pile is growing and I don't know where to get rid of it. I hate to throw out all that good wood.

I feed my uglies through the stove at the first of the season before I start using the 'pretty' splits. I didn't have the usual half cord this year, more like a quarter cord.

Another use for thos cut-offs is to build houses, barns, sheds laying them up like bricks. Had a neighbor who built a reallyi nice house that way, both the exterior and interior walls and another who did a big shed. Uses rather a lot of nails but when you get the material for free...

Harry K

Back