Burning desire to climb trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Bauman

Reaction score
Hello! First time on this site and my name is Jacob and I am the owner of JMB LLC. I’m 17 years old and recently got a desire to climb trees as an add-on to the services I already offer. I have been doing some tree work as a business and when it comes to the big tress I’ve only been able to get at them with a lift which is $500 to rent for a day. I recently got an arborist chainsaw so now I’m looking into the best climbing harness and best way to learn how to climb. If you guys have suggestions, please let me know. Thank you!

Welcome aboard partner, glad to see more young guys like me join. I'm not the most savvy on saddles/harnesses but so far been liking my monkey beaver 2.0 with suspenders, just a little heavy. mrs (moving rope system) the best for starters, IMO. Split tail/prussic hitch climber setup, also get ya a wire core lanyard, and all the osha/ansi safety books/booklets.

I recommend training by ACRT. I attended their basic arborist course in Feb 2021 and got right to work after purchasing equipment. By the end of the year my hobby and service had turned into a business by referrals.

I took ACRT's advanced arborist course in April 2022.

This is still Saturday and evening work for me, as I kept my day job. So I've not been able to learn on the job from others. Lots of YouTube and figuring things out as I go. I go slow and small to stay safe. But I've improved a lot by spending whatever time is necessary.

This summer, I've schedule my first two crane removals, and I've hired a contact climber recommended by the crane company. My crane operator is a former climber, and my contract climber is a former crane operator. And they're willing to have me along with them. It'll be a while till I'm comfortable climbing solo on a crane job. These guys are willing to teach me as time and safety allow. I would take a similar approach with any new, risky job.

Building a network of local colleagues is very helpful. I have lots of people I can hire to help, and they call me for what skills and tools I have

It's best to learn on the job from experienced men.

Latest posts

Back