Buy A Better Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50+ here... and I find that enough whiskey before bed will keep ya' snoring straight through the night.
Just a little tip for y'all.

I'd rather get up to pee rather than sleep through it!:hmm3grin2orange:

My brother told me that when he hit 35, he couldn't sleep through the night anymore. Now, I'm 35 and in the same boat. I don't really wake up for it though. My dad is 59 and had his prostate out this year. (cancer):msp_scared:

Mntn Man we should set up a get together for our area as I don't see any around here. Hell I can't even find anybody that wants to cut wood around here.

Mntn Man we should set up a get together for our area as I don't see any around here. Hell I can't even find anybody that wants to cut wood around here.

Sounds good to me, I am in central Nebraska, but that isn't anywhere near Lake Minitare, lol.

You're sure it's "The Wife" ???? :hmm3grin2orange:

Once upon a time I had one of those yacht delivery calls from Hamilton. Owner said they'd fly me over with a crew of my choosing, plus $100/day to share with the crew onboard and downtime on shore before the run. Only 2 out of my 3 usual cronys were available so we got one of those yacht club round-the-buoy racers who wanted to try going off shore to fill in. The run from Bermuda to Marion, Mass is usually 3-5 days wind dependent.
Well, that deck gorilla snored like an out of tune 372XP off watch; none of us could sleep or take it after a day. Jack, who had been in my unit, had the bright idea to kiss this snorer full and hard and wet on the lips during his off watch sound effects. (Jack said that he'd used the technique before in the field.) Hey, it worked ! Not only did the snoring stop, but he didn't sleep until we made landfall. Funny looks from him for the rest of the trip.

Moral, Coldfront ? Be sure you know who's elbowing.

I just peed myself....oops
but that was too damn funny.

You're sure it's "The Wife" ???? :hmm3grin2orange:

Once upon a time I had one of those yacht delivery calls from Hamilton. Owner said they'd fly me over with a crew of my choosing, plus $100/day to share with the crew onboard and downtime on shore before the run. Only 2 out of my 3 usual cronys were available so we got one of those yacht club round-the-buoy racers who wanted to try going off shore to fill in. The run from Bermuda to Marion, Mass is usually 3-5 days wind dependent.
Well, that deck gorilla snored like an out of tune 372XP off watch; none of us could sleep or take it after a day. Jack, who had been in my unit, had the bright idea to kiss this snorer full and hard and wet on the lips during his off watch sound effects. (Jack said that he'd used the technique before in the field.) Hey, it worked ! Not only did the snoring stop, but he didn't sleep until we made landfall. Funny looks from him for the rest of the trip.

Moral, Coldfront ? Be sure you know who's elbowing.

Its 5 in the morning and I just woke the sife and dog up laughing at that, lol:rock:

2000$ isn't an expensive stove. My little stone stove sells for 3000$ right now, and the PE Alderlea T6 mentioned earlier sells for 2600$. The largerst hearthstone stone stove sells for 4245$ which I consider expensive.

You can find an englander 30 on sale for 649$ this year if you try but it is an economy plate steel non-cat stove. A very good one to be sure and cheap too.

The BK line is about in the middle.
on edit: I don't own a BK, not biased, I know that there is not another stove available that can compete. Also, I don't have to wake up to pee or reload the fire.

Last edited:
All members that awake at least two times per night should urgently visit a urologist. The chances are high that you have an enlarged prostate. The consequence is sooner or later a severe bladder infection or urine retention with the potential of a permanant damage to your bladder muscle.

Believe me you don't want that. And in the early phase medicational treatment is very simple.

Too much info...LMAO.....beside youlive in freaking Wa. where it's never really cold...at least knee slappin cold.:hmm3grin2orange:

True, never too cold just single digits on occasion. Mostly long, dark, wet, 35 degree days and nights with a very long burn season. I burn from October to June.

Something keeps slapping my knees, but it's not the cold.

True, never too cold just single digits on occasion. Mostly long, dark, wet, 35 degree days and nights with a very long burn season. I burn from October to June.

Something keeps slapping my knees, but it's not the cold.

They do make sports bras for man boobs...:rock::msp_scared::msp_scared::msp_scared:

For jollies (like many getting their 'facts' online :frown: ) I checked out the Blaze King specs for that wondrous stove that one here said"...puts out for 40 (count 'em, "40" ) hours.

Well yes, BUTT even the makers say "at low heat". "Low heat" means my butt is frost bitten. :msp_mad:

And yes, it does have a big firebox "60 lbs of wood @ 4.9 cu ft" . Now the kicker: 47,000 BTU/hr max. That's less than many of the high quality cat AND non-cat stoves. Read "less than" please. Our two stand alone wood stoves heat our home 24/7, 99 44/100 % with no central furnace. Neither of them will produce any sufficient heat for more than 4-6 hours ( room ~ 65 F, outdoor winter temp ~ 20 F ). At the lowest air on both the cat and non-cat, there is slight heating; it is what we do for the overnight burn. Then, coals in the morning for startup.

Look it up, compare, speak WITH those who actually heat with any stove, OWB, wood furnace gasifier, masonry/Russian Fireplace, any wood heater. Discover the real world of wood heating from those who actually do it. Will all those who do it kindly raise their callused hand ?:waaaht:

This thread is totally ruined now.

A guy just can't have any fun being a troll anymore....:msp_sneaky::msp_sneaky::msp_sneaky:
Threads can go awry after everything that needs to be said has been said....actually as far as I'm concerned Logbutcher did a fine job explaining the realities of the original post...

Last edited:
For jollies (like many getting their 'facts' online :frown: ) I checked out the Blaze King specs for that wondrous stove that one here said"...puts out for 40 (count 'em, "40" ) hours.

Well yes, BUTT even the makers say "at low heat". "Low heat" means my butt is frost bitten. :msp_mad:

And yes, it does have a big firebox "60 lbs of wood @ 4.9 cu ft" . Now the kicker: 47,000 BTU/hr max. That's less than many of the high quality cat AND non-cat stoves. Read "less than" please. Our two stand alone wood stoves heat our home 24/7, 99 44/100 % with no central furnace. Neither of them will produce any sufficient heat for more than 4-6 hours ( room ~ 65 F, outdoor winter temp ~ 20 F ). At the lowest air on both the cat and non-cat, there is slight heating; it is what we do for the overnight burn. Then, coals in the morning for startup.

Look it up, compare, speak WITH those who actually heat with any stove, OWB, wood furnace gasifier, masonry/Russian Fireplace, any wood heater. Discover the real world of wood heating from those who actually do it. Will all those who do it kindly raise their callused hand ?:waaaht:

I think we all heat our homes with wood. Blaze king offers the "real world average high heat output" rating of 47000btu/hr. That is them being honest and it is not stated as a max. If you actually read the brochure:

https://www.blazeking.com/PDF/brochures/en/current/wood/78135_BK_King.pdf

You will find that the BK can make 90,000 btu/hr max which is much higher than all but the largest stoves out there. Oh and the low 40 hour burn puts out low heat if you choose. You can't do that with any other stove. It is an optional heat output setting and you might be surprised how often you can use that setting without freezing.

I think we all heat our homes with wood. Blaze king offers the "real world average high heat output" rating of 47000btu/hr. That is them being honest and it is not stated as a max. If you actually read the brochure:

https://www.blazeking.com/PDF/brochures/en/current/wood/78135_BK_King.pdf

You will find that the BK can make 90,000 btu/hr max which is much higher than all but the largest stoves out there. Oh and the low 40 hour burn puts out low heat if you choose. You can't do that with any other stove. It is an optional heat output setting and you might be surprised how often you can use that setting without freezing.

And HB, " I will love you in the morning." et. al.

As for "we all heat our homes with wood", au contraire. Most use wood heat as a supplement to a central furnace set at say 65 F. And HB, you live in a very very very temperate zone with average temperatures well above what most of northern North America faces. Big difference in "heating with wood".

Now check Blaze King specs ON THEIR SITE...please. You and your Blaze King would break and violate the Laws of Thermodynamics to get any kind of heat (re: BTUs ) out of any stove at low primary air. So I called BK. No, not "90,000 Btu/hr", 47,000 BTU/hr max at "high".

I will concede that in your warm climate ( Puget Sound snow is kinda like ____________ {fill in blank} ) "low burns" may heat your sorry BUTT. However, we in more northern climes ( e.g. Montana, Minn, Maine, Quebec ) need to heat BUTT.....seriously. We don like no frosty BUTTS.

So, let's have the inconvenient truth: what heating appliances do you have besides your wondrous BK ? The truth, or else. :(

P.S. I am "surprised". Shocked in fact, shocked. So much so that I came in to the house for lunch. Instead, I will have an early drink on you. Thank you. Thank you very much.

P.P. S. Never use "..that is them being honest." There are those here who will strike you for this felony of language. Read Strunk and White.

Last edited:
Maybe this is just me, but as I read many of the posts on new stoves, many people are spending way too much on stoves that will only burn for 8-10 hours at best on a low setting? I for one cannot be tied to my stove or babysit it. I will not get up in the middle of the night to feed it, I will not rush to see if there are coals left to restart a fire in the morning, I will not run propane or have a friend feed my fire if I decide to go out of town for a weekend.

There are stoves on the market that will burn for 40 plus hours using so-so, middle of the road wood. I researched almost every stove on the market before I found one that seemed to be a clear winner in quality, heat output, and burn time. I believed many people were buying inferior stoves to save on the purchase price only to find out they could have bought a better stove for the same or less money.

So why are people buying stoves that have a short burn time, are expensive, and don't measure up to other stoves. I cannot wrap my head around this. I could see if you wanted a decorative parlor stove or the like, and were not trying to heat a home with it. So what does everyone think, has everyone lost their minds, have too much money, need an excuse to cut wood till hell wouldn't have it just to feed their stove, or is this just a lack or research?

So what stoves do you guys have? What are the burn times and cord per year usage? How hot do you keep it in the house? Any explanation for having a stove you have to feed everyday that was more than 1000$

logbutcher "For jollies (like many getting their 'facts' online ) I checked out the Blaze King specs for that wondrous stove that one here said"...puts out for 40 (count 'em, "40" ) hours.

Well yes, BUTT even the makers say "at low heat". "Low heat" means my butt is frost bitten. "

Here is the original thread I posted, would you please read the first sentence aloud to the class? Pay special attention and try to follow along would you. "many people are spending way too much on stoves that will only burn for 8-10 hours at best on a low setting?" Did you notice we were talking about low burn or what most people burn overnight or when they leave to go to work, which I would say would be a majority of the time. 8 hours sleeping, 8 hours working= 16 hours out of 24 with stove turned down, dampened low, or whatever term you want to call it. I do not think many put wood in there stove and turn it up on high every time they leave. So like I said most guys burn 8 hours and only have coals left, so who know how long they are actually burning, may only be 5 or 6 hours, and I can get 40 hours on a load of wood on low setting. My stove may put out less heat on low then some stoves will, however, that being said, an even heat all night will keep your house warmer than a high heat for a couple of hours before your fire goes out and so quits heating your home.

Logbutcher "At the lowest air on both the cat and non-cat, there is slight heating; it is what we do for the overnight burn. Then, coals in the morning for startup."

So you must enjoy um... how did that go? "at low heat". "Low heat" means my butt is frost bitten. " Yes, yes, now I remember! So what is the point in burning with two of your stoves on low overnight if your butt is frost bitten in the morning??? Why even burn at all at night??? After all, frost bitten is frost bitten right? I am guessing you must enjoy that sort of thing, and actually that makes perfect sense, as it probably takes the sting out of kicking yourself in the ass in the morning because you didn't buy a Blaze King!!! My stove will heat my home most of the time on low keeping it 75 degrees or better.

Oh logbutcher head and eyes forward to the front of the class! Good now where were we? Oh yes.

logbutcher "And yes, it does have a big firebox "60 lbs of wood @ 4.9 cu ft" .

Well part of this is true I guess, depending on type of wood you are using. First since you "For jollies (like many getting their 'facts' online ) I checked out the Blaze King specs" you would have noticed it has a 4.32 cubic foot firebox not 4.9. Now considering on average a dry cord of cotton wood is 2,108 lbs divide by 128=16.46875 lbs per cubic foot, now multiply by 4.32 cu ft= 71.145 lbs of wood. Now we all know you cannot fully fill a firebox with wood as you would liquid, and being so that is why Blaze King, being real and honest with their customers so as to under-promise and over deliver making happy customers, says it will hold 90 lbs of oak instead of the possible 4012 lbs per cord divided by 128=31.34375 x 4.32=135.405 lbs of oak that is theoretically possible. Not too sure where you got the 60 lbs of wood clearly you were dozing off in class again!

logbutcher "Now the kicker: 47,000 BTU/hr max. That's less than many of the high quality cat AND non-cat stoves. Read "less than" please."

Here again you must have had to use the bathroom pass to go potty down the hall when this was discussed in class, when you get back with the hall pass I will try to catch you up to the rest of the class. First 47,000 BTU's per hour is not the max output, but as you put it, "Discover the real world of wood heating from those who actually do it." it is rather the REAL WORLD of what to expect for heat output per hour. Blaze King can produce many more BTU's than that, 90,000 actually but, they are not trying to mislead anyone, as many stove manufacturers do, claiming higher btu's in perfect conditions than you are likely to see over a normal burn cycle.

Now, not sure what stoves you are running, as you have never said, or what comic book you get your info from, but most stoves do not produce real world heat of over 50,000 BTU's per hour on average. Meaning in the real world. Here is a list from the EPA on heat output of stoves.

http://www.epa.gov/Compliance/resources/publications/monitoring/caa/woodstoves/certifiedwood.pdf

logbutcher "Look it up, compare, speak WITH those who actually heat with any stove, OWB, wood furnace gasifier, masonry/Russian Fireplace, any wood heater. Discover the real world of wood heating from those who actually do it. Will all those who do it kindly raise their callused hand?"

There is no need to raise you hand logbutcher, class has been dismissed, just leave your apple on my desk and make sure to do your homework this time! School is dismissed, I have wood to split!!!

P.S. If you don't find any humor in this something is wrong!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back