Buy New Felling Saw ? 20acre Hardwood Stand, 20 Acre Pine- 50 year old

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I missing something here? You have a potential tax liability of tens of thousands of dollars and yet are going to take on a job that will require 100's of hours to complete? You seem to indicate you own a business, what is your hourly rate? There is no way I would disrupt my income stream to do this when there are better options.

I would find a qualified logger to do the harvesting for me. Not only will it generate income it will also save your equipment. What I find interesting is you are moaning about spending $700 on a saw but have not given a second thought to buying a loader whose cost might exceed that of your tax liability.

I think you need a lesson in economics.

With all due respect GS, I think you missed several things. He said business was slow in the winter. And he didn't say he was buying a track loader just for this job. For all we know, the taxes are just enough incentive to do something he enjoys doing anyway. If not, I'm sure "economics" are not all that is at play in his plan. With no disrespect to reputable loggers in WNC, there are plenty that will leave you with a real mess. I don't know any who remove stumps as part of the job - there are no positive economics for the LO in that exercise. Ron

Husky 365 or jonsered 2166. 70cc with a 60 cc price tag. No autotune carbs on them either. A 461 is your only choice in stihl and it's going to run $1k give or take.
+1 on the 365. Got one the end of October, probably put about 10 tanks through cutting big, downed ash for firewood. Strong and well built saw - a detuned 372XP actually...

A good deal for someone who cuts firewood and doesn't need a "pro" designated saw, but likes all the pro features.

Am I missing something here? You have a potential tax liability of tens of thousands of dollars and yet are going to take on a job that will require 100's of hours to complete? You seem to indicate you own a business, what is your hourly rate? There is no way I would disrupt my income stream to do this when there are better options. 1.

I would find a qualified logger to do the harvesting for me. Not only will it generate income it will also save your equipment. What I find interesting is you are moaning about spending $700 on a saw but have not given a second thought to buying a loader whose cost might exceed that of your tax liability. 2.

I think you need a lesson in economics.

1. As far as I understood winter time is slow in his business so that is why he is thinking of doing it.
40 acre forest, that plot anyway.
My shop gets slow anyway in the winter- so I will get started over this winter. I have a couple trailers, a dump truck and an S1854 I can haul with, a dozer, backhoe, a couple 4x4 tractors(50hp minimum), and I'm about to get a track loader.
I'm not worried about the job, I am worried that I will have to spend down time screwing around with old Homelites when I could be felling trees, skidding, loading, and hauling.
I'm going to start checking out the saws that have been suggested.

2. Didn't see him complaining on spending 700$ on a saw. Only complaining on spending money on a modded saw.
I just don't want $900 tied up in used, modded saw. I'm at a stage in life where the extra power and enjoyment I got from using a blue printed, ported saw is no longer worth it to me.

So long as everybody else is happy with theirs, I make no judgements either way, and I'm extremely happy they're happy with 'em. I think it is great that they have something they love and can enjoy making better.
Sounds completely sensible to me. But to be honest that is something very unpopular on this site.

Why Would I need a Felling Saw and What Size Trees Will I be Working With ?
My dad put some property in a USFS land program, and they finally made him do a land use and management plan for that land. He's in his mid-late 60's and he cannot do what is necessary to make the plan a reality, so it has fallen to me to either make the plan a reality or pay shitload of back taxes.

The bottom line is that there is a 20 acre section of pine and a 20 acre section of hard woods(Oak mostly, some Chinese chestnut, many Sourwoods, but the Sourwood trees will not be harvested).

The pine trees are white pine and lob-lolly.

The stands of trees are from 1958-1964 plantings. This is the southern Appalachian Mountains along a hillside, the trees were not planted on a plan, they were not professionally spaced, they are overcrowded, so while they are good size trees, they are not what a 50 year old tree would be if spacing had been observed, if competition had been controlled, and etc...

I have to harvest the pine and a good deal of the non-Sourwood trees to make the "G" happy.
I'm wondering if I should get a newer saw, how new a saw I should get, and what brand/model.
Again I understand that you don't mind carrying a heavy old school saw, but working along a hillside is not bucking up delivered firewood! 20 acre isn't that much depending on terrain. Here in some alpin regions 20 acres mean you have to unpack your rock climbing gear . The only flat spots are the stumps in the mountain. It means what you carry in is what your back can take. I would definately look at the weight question.
And as you mentioned nothing is more annoying than having a saw out of commision because you have to look on ebay to find used spare parts in questionable quality! Get a new saw of proven quality & design like my above recomendations and you will get the job done probably without any problems.

You had two good saws of times past (some would say among the best that these manufacturers made). Between the lines I read that you don't particularly like having to work on saws. If that is the case, you'll be much happier shelling out the coins and buying new - and hopefully getting a dependable saw that will last you for many years to come.

Ron

The carbs on new saws can be adjusted. The limiters will need to be trimmed off or modified. It is important to make sure the saw is getting enough fuel to live a long life. Some of the new saws are so lean they fry. I bought 3 new Stihls last winter for fire wood. I picked up a 362 1st. It was a great saw but just not enough balls for cutting bigger frozen hard wood. Sold the 362 on craigslist in a day and got the 441 cm. This is the saw I would recommend. With the M tronic it runs at peak performance all the time and is good on fuel. I have a Ms261 for smaller stuff and wish it had the M tronic.

With all due respect GS, I think you missed several things. He said business was slow in the winter. And he didn't say he was buying a track loader just for this job. For all we know, the taxes are just enough incentive to do something he enjoys doing anyway. If not, I'm sure "economics" are not all that is at play in his plan. With no disrespect to reputable loggers in WNC, there are plenty that will leave you with a real mess. I don't know any who remove stumps as part of the job - there are no positive economics for the LO in that exercise. Ron

And he mentioned that he wanted to do selective cutting and save the Sourwoods. That's gonna take some finese (not sure on the spelling- sorry up front). He's trying to manage and thin the trees not strip the land. Op for the most part Im jealous. I'd love to have that problem and have weekends of sweet chainsaw music feeling the mountains. I also second the suggestion on WIgglesworth's 046 in the classifieds- I assure you he is meticulous with his saws and you would absolutely be getting a jewel of a saw at a very reasonable price.

You got the loot for all that other expensive equipment. And it sounds like a lot of cutting, so you need something tried and true. Just find a new 372xp or stihl 461 and be done with it. They are still out there with regular carbs, etc, you could find one.

Send a PM to tlandrum. He will help you. He knows logging from top to bottom from doing it. He can get you into the proper saw for your task without breaking the bank.

40 acre forest, that plot anyway.

I have a couple trailers, a dump truck and an S1854 I can haul with, a dozer, backhoe, a couple 4x4 tractors(50hp minimum), and I'm about to get a track loader.

So let me get this straight. You have $50k in equipment. That is obviously an estimation, could be more or less. But you are too cheap to buy a good pro saw for $800-1000 and would rather head into the woods with a hatchet than buy something that will work reliably? I think you found the wrong forum. Get over it and buy a real saw, your life will be changed forever.

If you want a new saw and don't need heated handles get a 365 like others have stated and remove the restrictors. You have a pro saw for a homeowner price. Don't worry about the low top and air cleaner, no big improvement other than needing cleaned less with the high top and bigger air filter. CJ

I just ran across this old thread and wonder how it l worked out. The OP has been on since 2017 so I doubt we will ever know

Latest posts

Back