buyer beware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnshaker

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Bought a new ms362 off a guy with no gas or oil ever in it. Guy knew people I know locally in the saw business and he seemed trustworthy as his story seemed to check out and had told me an certain person at a dealer ran the #'s on the saw at the dealer from the next local town which is my hometown ...again seemed to check out. Took it to my local dealer who I do a lot of business with he ran the serial and came back stolen from the other dealer in town. So police where called and I am out the cash from the saw.

Not uncommon around here. Unfortunately, most times in Arkansas the guilty party is required to pay "restitution" to the victim who's out the cash. Problem is, the thief didn't have any money to start with so the chances of getting any money back is just above zero.

Tnshaker did the right thing and went so far as to pick the thief out of a line-up. Good karma for you, my friend. I've picked up a saw or two that concerned me and ran the numbers but haven't got burned yet. I've even went so far as to check reports with similar stolen saws where the owner didn't know the serial numbers but could ID the saw. Again, I haven't got burned yet but I'd rather be burned than do something to help a thief.

Like Jimmy in NC said, maybe the dealer will try to do something to make it right with you. If I could "rep" ya on this new format I would.

dd

You bought a saw from someone that knew someone you knew and the seller said he had the numbers run by someone in the next town over? What story did that guy tell you about the story that the guy that he bought it from tell him??? Have you called this dealer from one town over??? I'm sorry you got taken, and I'm glad the thief was caught, but it's like buying a saw from someone that won it in a raffle...you better know for sure before or have someone you trust run the numbers.

He told me he had in ran by the dealer in the next town...my hometown and knew the guy at the dealer by name...so at that point I trusted him. His story of how he got the saw seemed lefit...I halved traded dozens of saws on here and on the local internet site...first time burned.....but u can bet that I will do whatever I can to see thisnfuyngets what is coming to him.

I hope the next stop for the police was the guy you got it from!!
sorry your out the cash, but you did the right thing in running that number.
The next stop for the cops is dunkins and some simple traffic violations, while they try to forget about real police work. my house got broken into, usless lazy arse cop didn't even get outta the car. scumbags!

. . . but it's like buying a saw from someone that won it in a raffle....

I entered to win an Echo chainsaw on FaceBook. Won a leaf blower instead. Posted it on CL and put the money towards the CS400 I really wanted.

****But I kept all the paperwork from Echo (e-mails , correspondence, shipping labels, etc.) to show the CL buyer that this was not a HD back door deal****

OP - you did the right thing. Hope that you get your $ back from the perp or some from the saw shop.

Philbert

I'd be suspicious of buying any stihl saw that hasn't had gas through it. Red flag right there. Even if he claimed to have gotten it from a friend at a dealership or whatever. I'd tell him I needed a day to think about during which time I would call all the local dealers, asking if they have a missing saw.

You bought a saw from someone that knew someone you knew and the seller said he had the numbers run by someone in the next town over? What story did that guy tell you about the story that the guy that he bought it from tell him??? Have you called this dealer from one town over??? I'm sorry you got taken, and I'm glad the thief was caught, but it's like buying a saw from someone that won it in a raffle...you better know for sure before or have someone you trust run the numbers.

Yup, what he said. Most, if not all prizes in a raffle are more likely than not, stolen. And, they never give away top shelf prizes. It's always crap from China, or stuff purchased from Walmart that was on close-out.

And, it's always best to have someone with no law enforcement experience what-so-ever, check to make sure it's legit, vs. someone who has almost 30 yrs. of it, and knows their way around the block.

To the OP. Sorry about what happened. Hope that in some way, you get compensated.

I'd be suspicious of buying any stihl saw that hasn't had gas through it. Red flag right there. Even if he claimed to have gotten it from a friend at a dealership or whatever. I'd tell him I needed a day to think about during which time I would call all the local dealers, asking if they have a missing saw.

Yep. Buyer too greedy to chance letting a "sweet deal" pass. I don't really get why the buyer would run the numbers after the purchase? Something about this story doesn't add up.

To OP, what did you pay for the "new MS362"?

Anything that seems to good to be true, generally is.

The basis of all scams is relying on the inherent greed in people.

He had an elaborate story that actually seemed to make sense...too long to type as I did that twice for the police today. Apparantley these guys...yes in say guys were involved in a local crime ring that not only robbed several local stores but have been wanted for several crimes in the area over the last 6 months. Not complete amateur s as they eluded police for a while. This was the first saw that was liked to them as it was stolen over 6 months ago and was just now trying to sell as a Xmas present not wanted posted on the net with # for everyone to see..apparantley a few guys involved. Police stated they made the mistake of posting info as this was the first link of info about these guys in 6 months.

Latest posts

Back