Buying a new "Clone" saw?? What do you think?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been looking for an upgrade to my O26. Thought around the 70cc mark. I like the 440 and 460 s but they are still crazy priced around me and look to be worn the heck out. Cant do the 1300 or whatever for a new one. BUT I found a guy that builds nothing but clones with all new aftermarket parts. I can pick up one of these for around 700. He has a 441 up right now and said he is going to start on a 660 soon which will cost about the same , for some reason he said the 441 was just as much to build as the 660. What do you think? I just like the idea of a new saw and the bigger cc.

There's a couple threads in the equipment-chainsaw forum reviewing the kits. Seem to do okay but seems very un-American, maybe even treasonous, to buy stolen German designs. :)
At least he is acknowledging that they are clones. Around me, they put a Stihl bar on it and just sell it saying its a MS660 and rip off unsuspecting buyers.

W

For $700 dollars could find a 372,385,390 used and rebuild with oem parts. For that amount buy lightly used. Some am parts are good and some are not. IMHO. Have a 372 with new rings, full wrap and new 24 inch bar and chain you can take home for $600. Contact Clipper1 he always has a nice Stihl or Husky for sale. I hate saying stihl.:yes:

For about $750/$800 you can have a new 372xp, add another $150 and you can have yourself a new 390xp, a grand and you can pick up 441, maybe a 461 if you can find the right dealer.

Saving a a few hundred bucks is not worth the inevitable hassle you'll have with the Chinese clone saws. These things are really just toys to have fun building and messing around with, I wouldn't consider them to be real tools you can depend on. You will most definitely have to upgrade some parts to oem and even than the other components are at best subpar. Following the build threads and videos on clone saws has proven that.

Stihl saws are always priced crazy high for one reason and one reason only, they have Stihl written on them.

I have not seen a clone kit for a 441 so the seller is already suspect.

You are going to find a range of opinions on the China saw kits, but I agree with the opinions above. For $700 you can buy a whole lot of "real" saw, slightly used or mechanically new. Take a look at what's offered in the trading post.

As someone who has built a clone saw, don't expect it to perform like an original. They do well for what they are but I'm always doing something to mine. $700 for one already assembled is to steep in my opinion. A used 372 or 440 should be cheaper and less headache.

Building a clone was a great learning experience, and with the info on here, not difficult. Just don't expect to tighten the last screw and never have to take it back apart.

ok I found a local "barely" used ms441. firm at 750 with 25" on it. What are opinions on that saw?

ok I found a local "barely" used ms441. firm at 750 with 25" on it. What are opinions on that saw?

Is it an M-Tronic? Come with multiple chains? Too high IMO.

It just comes with the 25 inch bar and chain. He said it does not have the mtronic but I looked up and thought I saw they started that on the 441 s in 2010..?

May have been available in 2010 but my dealers often kept both models- original and M-tronic- on the shelves to meet buyer preference. For example, I only just got my first m-tronic saw a month or so ago...

W

Wessa20 do you like the M tronic? Seems like a lot of stinking computer stuff in there....?

I'm guessing you're dealing with the yahoos on CL in the mid-MI area? Whenever I ask the guy in Jackson/Parma with the clone questions about his equipment he never has a response. I haven't looked closely at that 441. Not a lot of bigger saws at decent prices in our area right now. Over towards the west side there's a 372 at a halfway decent price.

Latest posts

Back