Buying my first chainsaw. Lowe's OK?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mark, he had a friend suggest shop that sells used Stihls, I would say consider all options, especially if he has another purchase where the Gift cards would go to a good use.

I Really Like my Huskys, and my saw collection is all Orange, but I don't blame others for considering Stihl, they make a Great Saw too.

Back around 91' when I bought my first saws, I compared Both Stihl and Husqvarna, knew people that had each, and at the time, I felt they were both Quality Tools, but that Husqvarna just gave me more saw for the money.

Now, I Stihl:) think that both companies produce Excellent Tools, but that the price on comparable saws is now much closer, not worth worrying about anymore. But now, unfortunately partly BECAUSE of Husqvarna selling through Lowe's, the Husqvarna dealer network leaves a LOT to be desired, there just isn't the dealer support that there used to be:(. I do Like my Huskies, and to me it just makes sense to stick with one brand that has a saw for any of my needs, and that I am Happy with, so for the foreseeable future, I will stick with Husqvarna, but if due to Fire, Theft or some other reason, I had to replace all my saws, I would consider Stihl, their Dealer support is now so much stronger than Husqvarna's that it would factor into my decision. The shop that I now deal with a lot is a Stihl dealer, that used to be a Husky shop, I wish that Sandy Chainsaw was still a Husqvarna dealer(and I have mentioned that to Jim one or two THOUSAND times ;)) Great Shop, that I give as much busniess to as I can, even if their saws are the wrong colors:D.

Doug

Snap a 450 P&C on that bad boy and run the heck out of it.
Same specs as a 353 in a plastic cased saw for a reasonable price, hard to dismiss the value, for a few cords a year.
The next best option to me would be to buy a low hr used pro saw(non computer carb model) for what you would spend on a new farm ranch saw.

Apologies, I got my Husqapoulans mixed up........

I suppose that I can forgive you Harley:), I will give you that the 455 Rancher, isn't a 550XP, but for the price point, and the use it is intended for, and what the OP expects to use it for, the 455, isn't a Bad saw, and should serve him well for many years, especially if properly cared for, which it sounds like the OP is familiar with small engine care.

Doug

You all don't expect me to actually read all of this **** do you?

Hey plenty don't and reply what size bar should be used on a Zippy XYZ, when the OP asked about finding touch up paint for his splitter;)

We'll still accept you Harley:), I'm not Perfect either(Just Damn Close:yes:) The last time that I tried to Walk on Water, I got Wet well past the ears :D

Doug :cheers:

Hey plenty don't and reply what size bar should be used on a Zippy XYZ, when the OP asked about finding touch up paint for his splitter;)

We'll still accept you Harley:), I'm not Perfect either(Just Damn Close:yes:) The last time that I tried to Walk on Water, I got Wet well past the ears :D

Doug :cheers:
If you read the long MS241 Diaries, I kept asking questions, not telling folks what they should run.
Rather asking others why they were telling others what to run....
And giving a guy hell for trying out other options.

As far as Husqvarnas go....

They all pretty much look alike to me.....

Hi Mark, he had a friend suggest shop that sells used Stihls, I would say consider all options, especially if he has another purchase where the Gift cards would go to a good use.

I Really Like my Huskys, and my saw collection is all Orange, but I don't blame others for considering Stihl, they make a Great Saw too.

Back around 91' when I bought my first saws, I compared Both Stihl and Husqvarna, knew people that had each, and at the time, I felt they were both Quality Tools, but that Husqvarna just gave me more saw for the money.

Now, I Stihl:) think that both companies produce Excellent Tools, but that the price on comparable saws is now much closer, not worth worrying about anymore. But now, unfortunately partly BECAUSE of Husqvarna selling through Lowe's, the Husqvarna dealer network leaves a LOT to be desired, there just isn't the dealer support that there used to be:(. I do Like my Huskies, and to me it just makes sense to stick with one brand that has a saw for any of my needs, and that I am Happy with, so for the foreseeable future, I will stick with Husqvarna, but if due to Fire, Theft or some other reason, I had to replace all my saws, I would consider Stihl, their Dealer support is now so much stronger than Husqvarna's that it would factor into my decision. The shop that I now deal with a lot is a Stihl dealer, that used to be a Husky shop, I wish that Sandy Chainsaw was still a Husqvarna dealer(and I have mentioned that to Jim one or two THOUSAND times ;)) Great Shop, that I give as much busniess to as I can, even if their saws are the wrong colors:D.

Doug

Go back to post 164 and read my last sentence then understand why I quit reading this after your first sentence. :ices_rofl:

My response here is for the OP. I prefer to support small businesses. However, and for what it’s worth, my dad bought a Husqvarna from Lowe’s. He ended up straight gassing it. Took it back to Lowe’s, told them he straight gassed it. They said, no problem, and gave him a full refund. The fact that he is an 80 year old veteran may have had something to do with that. Not saying big box is better or worse, just something to think about. But if you go pro saw you better be able to work on them yourself or have a good dealer who can.

I wasn't going to reply to this as I have my own opinions on this but I think for now I will keep them to myself.

I do want to ask some questions about this though.

Do you think it's right/ok for a 80 year old veteran or anyone else for that matter to straight gas a saw and even being honest about it, take it back to the place of purchase for warranty, replacement or refund?

Do you think it was right for that store to make any warranty, replacement or refund since it was user abuse?

If you sold a saw to someone and they straight gassed it would you be ok with them bringing it back to you for a refund?

Would you refund the money on a saw you sold to someone if they brought it back and told you they straight gassed it?

Just curious to your opinion on this..

I wasn't going to reply to this as I have my own opinions on this but I think for now I will keep them to myself.

I do want to ask some questions about this though.

Do you think it's right/ok for a 80 year old veteran or anyone else for that matter to straight gas a saw and even being honest about it, take it back to the place of purchase for warranty, replacement or refund?

Do you think it was right for that store to make any warranty, replacement or refund since it was user abuse?

If you sold a saw to someone and they straight gassed it would you be ok with them bringing it back to you for a refund?

Would you refund the money on a saw you sold to someone if they brought it back and told you they straight gassed it?

Just curious to your opinion on this..
I can assume you are asking my opinion since it was my post. The answer is - No! The customer screwed up. However, it’s not unusual for big retailers, how can I word this without being too colorful, bend over backwards in the name of customer service even when the customer is way out of line.

I thought my post was obvious so why would you care about my opinion?

I can assume you are asking my opinion since it was my post. The answer is - No! The customer screwed up. However, it’s not unusual for big retailers, how can I word this without being too colorful, bend over backwards in the name of customer service even when the customer is way out of line.

I thought my post was obvious so why would you care about my opinion?

Yes I was asking for your thoughts on this, thanks for your reply. I just thought your post could have interpreted by some that you could have been advocating this was a option for others who would by from someplace like Lowes and am glad to hear that was not the intent.

Nothing implied good bad or otherwise.

Latest posts

Back