Buying timber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermit

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I talked to a logger today about selling some timber and it seems they want to pay so much a ton now instead of by MBF. My question is how much will hardwood weigh, oak, hickory etc, per board foot. I know it will vary some but I want to get an idea how weighing compares to MBF. Mostly sawlogs and mini-logs for pallet. I want to clean up some ice storm damage. I thought about firewood but that would take to long and I need to recover some cash, taxes ain't cheap plus the cost of land.

From this page...

Sawlogs:
Pine - 8 Tons = 1 Thousand Board Feet (MBF) Doyle Log Rule
Hardwood - 8 Tons = 1 MBF Doyle Log Rule

Pulpwood:
Pine - 2.5 Tons = 1 Cord
Hardwood - 3.0 Tons = 1 Cord

These conversion factors are averages. For example, 1 MBF of large pine sawtimber can weigh 5.9 tons while 1 MBF of small pine sawtimber can weigh 9.8 tons. Hardwood log weights vary between different species.

Edit: When we cruise timber here and figure our volume, we use 7 tons/MBF for pine sawtimber.

The hardwoods in this part of Oklahoma are of poor quality. I haven't been in your area of Arkansas in over a decade, but I would guess the hardwood quality is better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back