CAD to a new level!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice. I wish I had one and knew how to use it.

Yup, a whole new ballgame for me now. I have used a lathe a little before, plus I'm pretty mechanically inclined with this type of stuff.

I thought you had done stole mine till I saw how good yours looks.
Mine is a 1942 South Bend, but it's still true and works real well. It looks just like that one. Enjoy it and have a blast making stuff. Got most of the stuff like tooling from my BIL he runs his own job shop and he gets sale papers from Enco and all the other companies. If you need some of the names PM me and I'll hook you up.
Joe

I liked to be hooked up with anything you can help with. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-QUICK-CHANG...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad55e8804

There's one of Jeff's wedge types. I don't have any financial interest in this, he's just a little guy who has done a lot to make tooling and fixtures for these old lathes available. For instance, if you want a steady rest or a collet drawbar for your lathe, he's a good source if you don't have the time or money to go after original parts on ebay.

Jack

Thanks, yes I've already been in contact with him, he emailed back pretty fast, and for a Sunday too!!

The one that Howell just suggested is what I would go with if you don't want to go all the way to an actual Aloris. The boring bar holder is probably going to be 3/4" shank for which you can pick up a multi deal on carbide cemented boring bars.

Just looked it up and the Aloris at Enco is $576.38 for the same set.

That will definately get you started. Anybody with a mill should be able to get the T-nut to size for you. Just measure the width of the slot and have it cut with a couple .001s to spare. No more than a ten minute job for someone competent on a mill.

Thanks, I deal with a machine shop on a weekly basis for my job, hopefully they can do me a favor.

I agree, Jeff is a good guy to deal with, and ships quick. Unfortunately it usually takes time to get to the west coast as Jeff uses UPS, but I have no complaints.

I also despise buying import tooling whenever possible, and I bought an AXA toolholder from Jeff. After a while I hated to see it on my lathe when I drove into the garage, "CHINA" was on the side looking me in the face. I bought an Aloris used and sold the import to my friend for $75 without any holders. Worked out great for me as I got the Aloris AXA for $125, and everyone was happy. If your going to buy import tooling, buy it from Jeff rather than someone like Enco or CDCO.

You definitely want an AXA for that lathe, NOT a BXA (too big). Tools4Cheap has the wedge style (not piston style) AXA with holders for $125, or at least used to. Enco got the same for the piston model. The wedge is quite a bit better, although the piston style is capable of doing good work.

Thanks, I'm gona go with the cheaper one to get me started.

Now.... Do you know what to do with it? LOL. Don't forget the chuck key in the chuck!!! #1 rule

I wish I had one in my garage. Oh well. I have 2 at work...

Now.... Do you know what to do with it? LOL. Don't forget the chuck key in the chuck!!! #1 rule

LOL, yes I do know that, same rule with a drill press. You ever see anybody leave one in there and turn it on. I've seen it happen with a drill press, it goes zinging across the room pretty darn good!!

LOL, yes I do know that, same rule with a drill press. You ever see anybody leave one in there and turn it on. I've seen it happen with a drill press, it goes zinging across the room pretty darn good!!

problem with leaving the chuck key in the lathe chuck is it doesn't go zinging everywhere. The lathe operator's forehead stops it from doing so...... 'nuff said. ( I swear while being an apprentice, I thought my Scottish teachers were going to kill me for such infractions)

problem with leaving the chuck key in the lathe chuck is it doesn't go zinging everywhere. The lathe operator's forehead stops it from doing so...... 'nuff said. ( I swear while being an apprentice, I thought my Scottish teachers were going to kill me for such infractions)

Ya, I've never done it, and don't plan on doing it.

Nice lookin machine .... Aussie made, of course. :clap: :clap:

Talk about sellin fridges to Eskimo's! Hercus must have got a deal on backloads into NA.

Good Luck with it. They are excellent machines if taken care of / restored properly.

b4b.

I was 15' away from a guy that started a lathe @ 1500rpm with the key in it.

It sounded like a gunshot when it hit the wall....he turned white as a ghost...

P.S.

A four jaw is a must for doing any kind of precision work on existing parts....

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I was 15' away from a guy that started a lathe @ 1500rpm with the key in it.

It sounded like a gunshot when it hit the wall....he turned white as a ghost...

P.S.

A four jaw is a must for doing any kind of precision work on existing parts....

Yes I'd like to pick up a 4jaw.

Now that you have a lathe, you won't know how you lived without it!!!:cheers:

I have one too, and it makes everything easier......I just saved a Stihl 028 that someone oversized the oversized bar stud hole on and was using a "BIG" fine thread capscrew to hold everything together.....I made a home version of a "timesert" on the lathe and it looks like it was never messed up......There's just so many things like that, that you can do yourself that wouldn't be practical to take to a machine shop. You're gonna love it!:clap:

AXA tool post

Only difference is size. If that's a 13 inch lathe, you'll need a BXA, but it looks smaller. The you want the correct tool post to put the cutter on center. Too small a post and you won't be able to get the cutter high enough, too big and you won't be able to get it low enough. AXA is for 9 to 11, some 12s.

Jack

I purchased the BSA size tool post and use it on my Heavy 10 southbend . If I did it again I would definitely go with the AXA as everyone suggests.

You will find new things to make or repair all the time when you have a lathe .

Jack

That pic too a while to come up, however, it was worth looking at! You have a very nice collection of laths! Do you have that many so you can keep them set up for a certain operation?

Regards

Dan

LAD, yes, but I know guys who are worse. : ) I've gotten rid of a few, too, couple of 1920s SB 9s and a 1923 SB 11. I have a Logan 10 inch cabinet model with underdrive yet to restore.

The lathes are for different operations, and because they're old -- something always needs to be fixed. The Hardinge is handy because it has a lever collet closer and I can use abrasives on it without guilt since I can just unbolt the cross slide and remove it, but it's down until I have time to pull the spindle and replace the belts. The Logan 11 is handy because it has the quick change gearbox and power apron, but it also has a wonky motor; runs fine so long as I only use it for a few minutes, but if I run it for long cuts the motor heats up. I'm going to replace it with a 3-phase motor and frequency drive. The Logan 10 is reliable with a freshly rebuilt headstock but needs a new crossfeed screw and nut.

Jack

i bought the import bxa piston type off of jeff at tools4cheap. i bought it and a few other things for my sb13" to get it up and running. he seems to be a good guy to deal with. as for the aloris style tool post... it rocks compared to lantern style! now that you have your lathe, get ready to spend your money on what really costs the big bucks....... TOOLING!

Latest posts

Back