calling on McCulloch guru's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrafirma

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, picked up a Mac 250 today thats in decent shape. Apparently it runs but the gas tank needs a serious cleaning before I attempt to start it.

Anyway, there's a hole going into the air/carb box used to adjust the carb that doesn't have any filtration measures...I'm wondering if there was a rubber boot that is supposed to go there to block off the hole. Any of you know?

Here's a pic (not my saw but a 250 and I feel it was a better example)
000_0001.jpg

And here is what my new, although obese, baby looks like. New .404 chain too! Never had a .404 before.
IMG_3502.jpg

Man those 250 Macs are strong! great older saw. (as long as you don't have to run it for long periods of time)
I think the adjustment screws should be sealed off from the area that the filter covers.

Man those 250 Macs are strong! great older saw. (as long as you don't have to run it for long periods of time)
I think the adjustment screws should be sealed off from the area that the filter covers.

Yup, there thinking might have been, if a chip falls in there, it might fall back out sometime.

Old Iron just needed a lot more service then todays saws.

I've got one of those 250's and there's nothing in that hole on mine, I too have wondered if there's supposed to be a plug or something there. I just cut a piece of foam rubber and stuck in mine. It's easy to remove for adjustments.

Be sure and check the gauge of your chain before you buy, most of those old 250s use .404 but it's .050 gauge. The common .404 chain that is now used is .063 gauge. I've not been able to find any loops for mine but I have seen rolls of it for sale on eBay, I just can't see buying a whole roll so my 250 is sitting. I'd like to find a bar that will work that uses the .063 gauge chain.

Mine has a plug that goes there. So do all the other Macs that I have that are the same vintage and design that are similar to that 250.

Larry

Mine has the rubber grommet also. I might have an extra off a parts saw. If not I know somebody who might have one.

It should have a black rubber plug with two or three holes for screws. Most got tossed or lost. When they get rock hard they can be a pain. Would not use it a lot without some sort of plug. Tune it and tape it for the cheap easy fix.

I've got one of those 250's and there's nothing in that hole on mine, I too have wondered if there's supposed to be a plug or something there. I just cut a piece of foam rubber and stuck in mine. It's easy to remove for adjustments.

Be sure and check the gauge of your chain before you buy, most of those old 250s use .404 but it's .050 gauge. The common .404 chain that is now used is .063 gauge. I've not been able to find any loops for mine but I have seen rolls of it for sale on eBay, I just can't see buying a whole roll so my 250 is sitting. I'd like to find a bar that will work that uses the .063 gauge chain.

I'v got a new 152DL loop of Oregon sq ground .404 in .050 How much is it worth?

Later,

I'm not sure what it's worth, I appreciate the offer but I really don't want square ground chain since I cut a lot of dirty hardwood.

Maybe...

I have a few older McCulloch saws, the original equipment for that hole is a black rubber plug that fits in the hole and over the L and H jets to seal out the sawdust. Make sure you put it in place before installing the carburetor.

Other saws have a large round metal plug with "fingers" that grip the hole when you press it in, normally tethered with a short piece of bead chain.

"How To" remove the clutch will vary depending on the saw and clutch used. On some the clutch is held on with a nut and the crankshaft has a taper, others the clutch body has an internal thread and external hex to fit the wrench over. Some need a puller to get them off once the nut is removed but I have not found any that came off as hard as the ones on my Jonsered 621's.

Anybody out there with completes or part saws I am always looking for stuff, so PM me and I will get back. Especially hard to find are the black rubber covers noted above, and the one that goes over the spark plug on the 200, 250, 300, 380, 450, etc. saws. Also looking for a screen to go under the starter on a 300, just about anything else you might have and don't want to keep lying around.

How about a clutch drum for the 1-71 with a .560 bore? Sorry to run on so but you know how old McCulloch guys get some times. Look at my one dozen McCulloch thread to see how bad I have it...

Mark

More for Podaltura

A little more information for you, on the models with the tapered shaft, the nut is normally 3/8-24 (3/8" with 24 threads per inch) and uses a 9/16" wrench. The others with the hex on the clutch require 3/4" wrench. Some experts advise against it but typically use a small butterfly impact wrench and socket for taking the clutch nut off (an on again). If I recall correctly, the ones with the internal threads/external hex use a left hand thread on the clutch, but all of those have a clear indication on the clutch which way to turn to remove.

Mark

Photo on one of my 300's with the plug in the air box, missing the spark plug cover and screen in the starter.

Help anyone?

Thanks,

Mark

PS, photo of the whole family last weekend

I don't have the starter screen but I have a plug cover. However, I think it is riveted on. I'd have to look.

Let me know

The spark plug cover is normally riveted on, but it is possible to drill the rivet out. McCulloch used to sell a replacement kit, some were held on with rivets and others were replaced with a screw and nut I believe. Anyway, if you can get the cover off in good shape let me know, I am willing to buy it from you and can come up with a reasonable way to attach it to one of my saws that are lacking the cover. Thanks

Mark

I think it's Duncan machine or something like that sells the spark plug cover in kit form, rivet and all 937-927-5429 ask for Hanson.

Back