Can I do a muffler mod on 555 without cutting muffler in half?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taxi1249

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just did a mm on 445 and now i would like to try one on my 555 and 562xp. The only way i see this is going to happen is to cut the unit in half then re-weld. Is this correct? Please help and any pics are very appreciated. Thanks

On the 562 I cut the area out that contains the deflector in a saddle shape from seam to seam. Then I cut out the baffle tunnel and the area under the screen and weld it back together. I could do some opening through the inlet and outlet but I worry about leaving metal chips inside.

I did mine through the inlet and outlet. It took a little longer and getting the metal chips out took a little while.

Yes it does. It made enough of a difference it's noticeable. I let my buddy run it and his reaction is what I go by. He ran it stock and then after in some slick bark hickory and said it felt like a big difference.

Yes it does. It made enough of a difference it's noticeable. I let my buddy run it and his reaction is what I go by. He ran it stock and then after in some slick bark hickory and said it felt like a big difference.

Never have done a MM, do you use a dremel? Are you just opening everything up? I have the spark screen out where do I go from there, besides pulling the muffler off.

Last edited:
I mostly used a 1/4 electric pencil grinder. I don't remember if I had to use the dremel or not.

I mostly used a 1/4 electric pencil grinder. I don't remember if I had to use the dremel or not.

So really you are not gutting anything on the inside, just opening up the exit hole? What about drilling into the front of the muffler, would that work to or not?

Last edited:
I cut out all the baffles inside through the inlet and outlet. It took awhile and is tedious work since you have to go through both ports to do it.

Hey Mdavlee how did you get the grinder down in there, i looked at the muff today and it looks hard to do without cutting it open to get to the baffles.

I also looked today and dont see how you did it. Please tell me ive got two to try so i would like to try one each way. Cut one open and leave on closed and see how they both come out.

It is aggravating to do but can be done. You spend a lot of time flipping the muffler around to get the bits on what you need to grind. Sorry i'm not close to the saw to be able to snap pictures of it.

It is aggravating to do but can be done. You spend a lot of time flipping the muffler around to get the bits on what you need to grind. Sorry i'm not close to the saw to be able to snap pictures of it.

Oh yeah it can be done. Through the inlet you would just need to enlarge the hole that is in the baffle. That would let it breathe plenty. Same for the outlet, just open the area under the screen. You would have a heck of a time getting the whole baffle tube out but you can still defeat it.

I got the whole baffle and tube out. The muffler is just a shell now.

I got the whole baffle and tube out. The muffler is just a shell now.

I did it too on a Shindaiwa 488 muffler, and like you say it is tedious and time consuming but so worth it once I got it all back together. It will outrun an 026 with a mm ;)

Glad you got it done. They do have a sound that's different from most other saws with the muffler gutted.

Back