Can I switch MS291 to 3/8" Pitch, .050" Gauge, 60 links?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biglefty25

Reaction score
Hello,

I own a MS291 that currently has .325" pitch ,063" gauge, 67 links. I've currently moved back home where my dad runs a MS290 where he runs 3/8" pitch, .050" gauge, 60 links. My question is can I switch my MS291 over to his setup, he has a lot of chains, so I can use his chains (3/8" pitch, .050" gauge, 60 links)? I know I'll have to get a new sprocket and bar. He runs Stihl bar 3003 008 8913 on his, can I buy one of those and put it on the MS291? Will the oil ports still line up so the bar and chain get proper lubrication during cutting?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ben

It should work but be prepared for more leisurely cutting speed. I made the switch on my stock 261 and it slowed down a bit.

Straight swap Ben and an 029 will have absolutely no trouble running a 16" 3/8" bar and chain setup. The 3003 mount bar is exactly what you need.

Great, thanks everybody! I love my 291.... Only thing I don't like is it seems to be a little light on the bar oil... Wish it had an adjustable oiler like the 290. There's been a few times I've got the chain smoking.... But I usually just take the bar off and blow it out really good with compressed air, problem solved.

Going from a .050" bar to .063" will definitely help with clogging and oiling issues. In your case it's a bit different but in Australia Huskys are all .058" and Stihl's are all .063" with the exception of low profile (picco/micro picco) 3/8" chain and of course 1/4".

Bump. I know, thread revival, old thread, ect.
But I just had a conversation with a friend about 3/8" chain on a 291.
Mine handles it great, actually cuts way faster with 3/8" than the .325. ever did, although I rarely use it aymore.
I think because I don't use it much in wood above 14", and because higher chain speed with the larger dia. of the 3/8" sprocket, along with 18" vs, 20" & fewer cutters in the wood at a time.
Any way, hopefully this will show up on google searches.

Latest posts

Back