Can Someone Explain the Three Saw Plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralph in MN

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ive always had one saw and sometimes a backup saw. I am wondering about the reasons and logic of having three saws to maintain and drag around?

Well, I've never been a big believer in the 3 saw plan, I run the 7 saw plan, with 1 on the way! lol. It's not so much a plan as it is a disease. I usually only bring 2 or 3 at a time to cut, but if on a job I'll often have 4. It's nice as I'll always have several at the house, usually 1 in the side by side, 1 in the truck, and usually 1 or two out on the farm. It's hard to explain unless you've been bitten by the bug!

Just a method some people use to justify having more than one saw. I am at the point now where I have several saw models where I have 8-10 examples stashed away.

If I could only have one saw, It would have to be a GOOD 70cc.

Two saws? Add a GOOD 50cc.

Third saw? A VERY Lightweight 35-40cc saw, well-made, with good power. "brushing saws" are Very Handy to me.

Well the smart answer is because I can.
I always have a plan c .
If I gas up two saws and go back to back I know that pretty close to two hours have gone by , break time.
If I nick one I can set it aside and use it on dirty stuff and I would still have two Sharp ones, in thero
I may also be running different bar lengths to minimize or maximize .
My .02

The three saw plan don't mean you gotta have three saws, it means you gotta have at least three saws. To make wood afraid of you, the three saw plan works. If you have three 70cc saws, that's not really a good three saw plan. If you have three 70cc saws, two 90cc saws, and five 50cc saws, that's a good three saw plan. It doesn't refer to how many saws you actually have, it refers to how many classes of saws you have. Disclaimer, this is all pulled right outta my gluteous maximus, but it makes sense to me.:msp_thumbup:

I've stayed with the two saw plan. A big 'un and a small one. I keep the small one for brushing/limbing, my skinny old arms don't care for swinging a 71cc saw around. The 2171 is pretty much used below waist level. Too may other interest and too poor to feed CAD!!

It is an excuse offered by those who have not run a 6ci. Compensation by aggregation.

Last edited:
Ive always had one saw and sometimes a backup saw. I am wondering about the reasons and logic of having three saws to maintain and drag around?

The three saw plan is A LIE!!! It really is more like the as many as I can as soon as possible plan without regard...

Well you always need a backup in case you pinch your main saw and can't get it out.:msp_thumbup:

Oh and I gotta answer your other question about lugging around 3 saws. If you go to start a job and you have three fueled up saws with freshly sharpened chains, you can get done more quicker. Once one gets low on fuel (don't run saw outta fuel), you grab the next saw and keep going, then the next. When it's time to fill up, you can line them up for filling, going down the line with a tank of fuel makes it quicker, and it will spread the wear on the chains out more evenly so maybe now you won't have to stop to file until further down the line. Makes everything quicker.

Three saw plan usally follows a two saw plan but not always. Three saw plan most often is made up of saws that you can justify their need/usage, this is middle stage of CAD. When moving to the famed 4 saw plan your getting to a hard to justify spot so you have to admit to full blow CAD, after which nobody except the wife will need to ask for reason for the next saw. All downhill after that.

I usually carry two...one little, one bigger...

I do not like cleaning them so I stick to two....and lately it has not been stihl as the white takes a while to get all clean and purdy:hmm3grin2orange:

A three saw plan is a good plan. Like others have said, one to buck, one to limb, and one to fell. However, when your three saw plan has so many saws in your truck that there is no room for firewood, something has to give. Makes another trip back to get the firewood.

Ted

365 days in a year.
3 saws for each day=chainsaw collection. Goal to work towards.

Everybody needs a hobby.

six....

i suppose im odd i have a six saw plan 2 small ones 2 medium and 2 big.... i always have a back up to everything just me.....

I done made me a study on the topic and come to figure that you should just try out the 3 saw plan, just go and blow alot of money on three saws (50cc, 70cc, 90cc), and that will explain what the 3 saw plan is real good, proberly better than anyone can describe it to you.

I'm using the three saw plan and have been for years!:msp_w00t:

I have a 346 for the small stuff, a 262 for general use, a 372 for the bigger stuff, a 394 for the really big stuff.... a couple of JD twins 'cause they're neat, a pair of 090's, some MS200T's a few 266's, a 288 'cause it sounds so cool...

Oh wait... Did I say three saw plan!??:msp_unsure:

I thinks I gots CAD. :help:

:hmm3grin2orange:

Back