Can Someone Explain the Three Saw Plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The multi-saw plan.....

shop.jpg

The three saw plan is easy to explain and understand. The 18 saw plan is a bit more difficult to explain. Once you get to a couple hundred saws, then there's an explanation for that. lol

Simple -

1 Passenger side side floor board
2 Jump-seat/club-cab drivers side, floor board
3 Bed box, driver side naturally...

So, in the event that you go out in a (hurricane, flood, wind storm, snow storm, blizzard, slight chance of sprinkles on a clear summers day) you can almost always make it home with the brews (vehicle dependent)

Sums it up quite nice (unless you quite drinkin' :msp_thumbsup: then the S.O. is the obvious choice)

(Hi, Honey...)

One saw is middle school.

Once you get the three saw plan you really have just graduated and have a CAD diploma.

From there you step up to the taking it to the next level which would be most likely north of 30 saws which would be your college CAD degree (where I'm at)

Then from there you can go big and get your masters degree which many here have which is most likely you more saws than you can admit to counting. A few names come to mind like BillG, MarkH, leeha they all have their masters degree in CAD and there are many reading this as well in that club:msp_thumbup:

3 saw plan? Convincing yourself that you can get by with just a paltry 3 saws, which if you spent any amount of time around here you will come to realize is just plain false.

here's the perfect three saw plan...

15", 20" and 24/25"....

3ED47132-7C01-4869-AE2F-EEDC9D185E63-361-000001E9DBE805A4.jpg

Then throw a 550xp in there for the small to medium stuff and a 660 for the big brutes...

Right now I subscribe to the four saw plan. I hope to expand that to the five saw plan in the near future. I don't justify it at all other than I like the different saw's I own. I also subscribe to the multi-firearm plan, the couple vehicle plan, but only one God plan.

If I could only have one saw, It would have to be a GOOD 70cc.

Two saws? Add a GOOD 50cc.

Third saw? A VERY Lightweight 35-40cc saw, well-made, with good power. "brushing saws" are Very Handy to me.

My signature agrees with your plan :D

I usually take 2 saws when i go cutting, but i know i don't want to be limbing with the 046 or felling a 30" with the 026. The small one isn't on any firewood duty, but it gets plenty of use when you have to make a few cuts in the orchard, clear some brush, or lug it around for 20 minutes to find the perfect post to cut down. Also the picco chain and low power and weight make it perfect for doing precision cuts when you're building something out of lumber :)

Ive always had one saw and sometimes a backup saw. I am wondering about the reasons and logic of having three saws to maintain and drag around?

I could have used that 3rd saw Saturday. Went to buck wood for our local heating assistance program. Since the donated wood is usually tops from a tree service, I rarely need anything more than my 261. But I always take my 039 as well, and leave the 066 at home.

Saturday I drove up to find a nice sized oak log, about 12' long sitting there waiting for us in addition to the usual fare. None of the guys were touching it. The nail in it had been painted green so it was obvious why they'd left it for us instead of taking it on to the mill.

About then I decided it might be a good day to warm up the 039 instead of the 261. The 039 has a 20" bar and an RSC chain that I had ground once and then lowered the depth gauges to about 6 degrees of drop. I went through two tanks of gas on that log. When I left for the day I got out a tape measure and checked the diameter where I'd made the last cut at the base of the trunk. It was oval and measured 41" x 36" diameter.

Sure the 066 with a 28" bar would have done it faster. But the 039 did well. It just goes to show it's not the dog in the fight that matters. What matters is the fight in the dog.

I started my 3 saw plan back in the late 90's with an 015, a 246, and a 625 all bought used. I also had my s50 but I didn't count it because I had already had it for 16 yrs. When I discovered AS in 2007 while I was searching for parts for my 29 yr old s50, I got interested in the 3 saw plan again since I only had the 625 left from my original plan. I then ended up with a gz400, a 350 and a 2165. Since then I have added a 2nd 3 saw plan that has a 346, a 365xt, and a 2171. My advice would be not to start a 3 saw plan because they just keep multiplying. I am currently looking for a 3rd 3 saw plan.

Last edited:
My first saw plan was ONE little baby top handle saw to play with and maybe someday it'll come in handy. Then, I got a bigger saw cause I moved to a place with wood stove heat. Then, I got a job that I needed an in-between size. Then I started cutting firewood that my big saw was too small for, so I got a bigger saw. Now the firewood is bigger yet, so I need an even bigger saw:dizzy:

I usually follow a five saw plan, all Stihl: two 200Ts, a 361 (24 in. bar), and an 046 (24 or 32 in. bar). Four...hmm right, and my groundies get to use the li'l' 170 to cut up big limbs, and the larger saws for wood AFTER I make sure that they have been reminded, once again, to check for nails and dirt and not to stick their bar where it shouldn't go :laugh:.

A sixth saw is just taken along to put the fear into scary trees (the 084) :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back