Can you tell me what wood this is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwboomer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got a chunk of this in the load of wood I bought. Curious what it is. It's very heavy despite being about 2" thick and dry.
1217082139a.jpg

The inside layer is a bit rotten, but I have a couple other pieces with no bark with a solid redish center while the outside inch or so is white.
1217082140.jpg

Looked at google images but couldn't come up with anything.

Firewood? Doesn't look like lumber or plywood to me? You can usually spot a difference in how it's made up. Lumber is usually 8' and longer, while plywood is usually 1/2" thick in 4x8 sheets. Firewood is usually 12-18" in length, unless you have an OWB. It's typically jagged along one face.

Best way to tell is to try and do something with it. If it's too small to build a house out of, than it's probably firewod. Burn it and find out!

Type firewood into your google image search. You might see something that maches up with your specimen!

Firewood? Doesn't look like lumber or plywood to me? You can usually spot a difference in how it's made up. Lumber is usually 8' and longer, while plywood is usually 1/2" thick in 4x8 sheets. Firewood is usually 12-18" in length, unless you have an OWB. It's typically jagged along one face.

Best way to tell is to try and do something with it. If it's too small to build a house out of, than it's probably firewod. Burn it and find out!

Type firewood into your google image search. You might see something that maches up with your specimen!

Type in juglans niagra and see if that's it!

Type in juglans niagra and see if that's it!

This is a pic from the first page on teh google search.

Grape_Niagara.jpg

I've never tried burning grapes! Just drinkin em! Perhaps rope meant to search juglans nigra?

Something to add, if you consider burning plywood. Some times it comes in 5/8 and 3/4 thickness also. Don't ever burn it if it's green, unless your house is full of inlaws and nobody else.

To me, The bark looks like Black Locust Robina Pseudoacasia. The wood resembles it too, given that it was deseased with heart rot from an open wound. It should still make good heat.

Hickory or BL is excellent firewood whichever it is go back and look for some more. If it is Hickory, you will know it when you burn it, mmmmmmmmmm.

Hickory has an unmistakably sweet nutty aroma while burning.

pignut hickory has that smoother bark,
the mass of the small piece, the heaviness in hand, indicates a dense wood variety, again hickory can fit the bill.

My vote is hickory.

Sapwood on walnut does not remain so light shaded after exposure.

I'll throw in a Black Locust vote.

Black Walnut would be fairly light. We are burning some now. It's okay, just doesn't last very long.

The Black Locust that is here in PA. doesn't look anything like that, especially that it's yellow inside not brown. I'm GUESSING Shellbark Hickory? I had some of that years ago and it was great, but I can't recall if the inside is Brown or not...

Pictures of black locust and hickory both come close so it may be. Wish I had a bigger sample. like a cord. That little piece weighs upwards of 10lbs.

Truthfully I had never heard of black locust before reading up when I got my house with wood burner. And I certainly didn't think it was in this area - but apparently it is.
Now to find some!

Back