Carlton bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...and the clear coat will melt everywhere in extreme cross cutting or ripping, gluing bloody saw dust and chips to the bar. It took a bit of effort with paint stripper and a scraper to get it all off.

So that's what that is. I was concerned I wasn't getting enough oil and the bar was heating up too much.

Most of the current ones Baileys are flogging are the German ones which are pretty good but no where near the same finish as the Tsumura/Carlton bars.
The steel quality seems very comparable, but they do need a little re-finishing work to meet the Japanese made bars standards which I would rate as possibly the best in the world, at least the best that I have seen.

There are some Taiwanese Carlton bars too, but I have no idea what they are like. They could be very, very good, some Taiwanese manufactured/machined products are equal of the best in the world these days or they may be just average.

We Still have a few of the Carlton Branded Tsumura bars.

/www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?SKW=CPS&catID=703

Just redoing the bar section. Should be much easier to find all the closeout stuff soon.

Nik

Wow! Did another dozen cuts tonight with this bar and it needs to go for a haircut. Sawdust melts into the clearcoat so fast, not pretty. Maybe that's why they're on special. Factory cosmetic problem?

Just redoing the bar section. Should be much easier to find all the closeout stuff soon.

Nik

Thanks Nik!!!

Anybody ever tell you, that you guys are an inspiration to Crack Dealers everywhere? LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I eyeballed the Carlton Bars a bit closer today thanks to this thread.

Both large mount Husky bars I got recently were fine, just like an older one I have had for a year or so. One had just a bit of the clear in the groove that easily scraped out with a bar groove cleaner.

One of the two 16 Small husky mount bars I got was choked with clear coat, and I had to go medival on it with an X-acto knife to scrape/cut the gorp out in order for a chain to even fit. Today I noticed the depth issue...the crap is in the groove and there's enough in some places to affect the depth, and possibly oil flow. That one is definately getting the Airplane stripper.

The other was just fine, and for some reason isn't melting and causing any problems yet. I have about 6-7 tank fulls through the saw with it mounted so far, cutting on Cherry and some nasty swamp Maple.

Maybe it's just a Lot variation.?

This one is fine....

attachment.php

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I have some German ones and some rebadged GB pro tops all from Baileys at stolen prices. Love them all!!!

Nik

Thanks for getting my hopes up. Just .058 and .063 left. But, I suppose having a longer bar that is a little wider isn't going to make too much difference, would it?

I second that on the clearcoat. Used mine for the first time yesterday and the clearcoat is trashed with sawdust sticking in it. What would be the easiest way to remove it short of using a wire wheel?

I soda blast and dress all the oil holes on the carltons I use. I got mine from Baileys and they are a good value.

I soda blast and dress all the oil holes on the carltons I use. I got mine from Baileys and they are a good value.

I do this to the oiler holes on the German made bars.
Probably doesn't really matter, but it makes sure I'm getting absolutely everything the oiler is putting out on the longer bars.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Nik

Cheers Nik.
You had me all excited that there was something I'd missed, but I'd already found those, and the 24"ers have the wrong mount for me. :cheers:

{edit}Hmm, wouldn't take much to turn up a couple of 0.020" stud spacers.........:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
This one works good

Just put this one on, but the clear coat wasn't too thick. Price is definitely spectacular. Wish I could blame that stump on the new bar. It was earley in the morning, and the sun was in my eyes, and there wasn't much room to work, and, and...
026birchstump.jpg

What is soda blasting?

Did you ever shake up a pop?...just kidding. Soda blasting is done in a sandblaster, only difference is the gun shoots a mixture of soda granules, the benefit is no metal is removed. The process is also used to restore old cars on a larger scale.

Nik

Well, it took me exactly 1 day of drooling over those... I just rang up the register for one to put on the 288... Didn't need it, but wanted it!!! CAD!!!

Well before I made an order to Baileys, I was talking to a buddy whos wifes Grandfather own saw shop next county over. Called him and he advised he had a 25" stihl bar and chain that he had used about 2 times and then took it off his 660 and replaced it with a 32". I bought bar and chain both for
$35.00. Bar has a few scratches but in excellent shape and chain looks like it hasn't been used. I just couldn't pass this one up.

I did pick up a 24" and 28" Carlton/Tsumura bar as I just couldn't resist a good deal (of course, not as quite as good a deal when you add in the .058 chain).

I do need to get my 20" German Carlton cleaned up and is there a reason you would need to use airplane stripper vs. paint stripper? Is there something else you could use that would work, i.e., mineral spirits? After you remove all of the clearcoat, do you need to put something back on besides some WD-40?

I did find that the sprocket was quite loose in the tip of the 24" but fit tight in the 28" so I guess it isn't just an issue with the German made ones.

Such a good deal at Bailey's that I had to order a couple of 24's for the 372. I am stuck in academic misery right now, so will not be able to try out until this weekend. The grooves look pretty clean on mine will have to find out how it does. The only negative was that I had to get 063, as that was all that was left in stock. Oh well, stocked up on chains as well, can't wait to get home this weekend!!!

Tim

I did pick up a 24" and 28" Carlton/Tsumura bar as I just couldn't resist a good deal (of course, not as quite as good a deal when you add in the .058 chain).

I do need to get my 20" German Carlton cleaned up and is there a reason you would need to use airplane stripper vs. paint stripper? Is there something else you could use that would work, i.e., mineral spirits? After you remove all of the clearcoat, do you need to put something back on besides some WD-40?

Wendell,

No reason for airplane stripper except that it will eat just about ANY varnish or paint made and quickly. Regular paint stripper might work.

If you remove the clearcoat rust will be an issue during storage, so just give 'em a spritz and a wipe before hanging 'em up for a while.
Then again, if ya cut every other week or so you'll never have a problem LOL!!

I ran one of the little Carltons today for a bit and got it plenty hot with no issues from the clearcoat. I don't think summer being 30 degrees warmer will be an issue. I'm gonna hold off cleaning them up to see, but the one Bar that has gobs in the groove will definately get stripped.

On that loose nose sprocket, try smacking the rivets with a punch a little.
They might just not be fully seated.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Such a good deal at Bailey's that I had to order a couple of 24's for the 372. I am stuck in academic misery right now, so will not be able to try out until this weekend. The grooves look pretty clean on mine will have to find out how it does. The only negative was that I had to get 063, as that was all that was left in stock. Oh well, stocked up on chains as well, can't wait to get home this weekend!!!

Tim

:clap::clap:

I snagged one in .050 when the gettin' was good.
I normally stay with the 20" on the 372 and just grab the 28" or 32" when I need more reach, but for the price...... why the heck not.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back