carlton file-o-plate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the file will cut into the top of the drive plate, but I don't think it's an issue.
It'd happen whether you use an FOP or any other method of filing to get the hook and angle correct when that far back on the cutter.

The only way I can think of to avoid it is use a 13/64" file.

[edit]
Used the FOP for the cutters tonight, only ever used it for the rakers in the past. I needed to correct the angles as i've only ever used my old Oregon guide for touching up in the field (not enough hook/angle. Usually use a Pro sharpener to do the angles properly at home)
Definitely more aggressive/faster in the cut and IMO easier to use than the Oregon guide I'm sold.

Last edited:
<snip>
Its fair to say that my chains cop a bit of a flogging. When you get asked to drop a dead old gum for someone that's full of termites and associated dirt they always seem to ask that you flush cut the stump down to ground level then chop the mangey tree up into bits that will fit their fireplace! What starts out as a 15 minute job ends up an hour with half a dozen blunt chains as a rule :)

Ditto.
Two filings tonight for six cuts in a log 15-20" diameter. (second filing so it's sharp for next time)
Termite chimney 2" wide straight up the middle, and I'm only 1/4 the way through cross cutting it :bang:
(I'll need that roll of chain very soon....)

Matt looked at it :laugh:

:laugh: It looks like it's about to rip some ones face off !

Yes, the file will cut into the top of the drive plate, but I don't think it's an issue.
It'd happen whether you use an FOP or any other method of filing to get the hook and angle correct when that far back on the cutter.

The only way I can think of to avoid it is use a 13/64" file.

[edit]
Used the FOP for the cutters tonight, only ever used it for the rakers in the past. I needed to correct the angles as i've only ever used my old Oregon guide for touching up in the field (not enough hook/angle. Usually use a Pro sharpener to do the angles properly at home)
Definitely more aggressive/faster in the cut and IMO easier to use than the Oregon guide I'm sold.

Good idea and thank you. I guess I could try a 3/16 & guide near the end if need be, but it was more of a curiosity than anything else, I'm not overly worried about it.

Thanks again for the replies.

I don't know what the hell is up with the cat in my avatar :) I got it as an email a while back and thought it was funny.
To be honest I've never used a File-O-Plate to sharpen chains so best that Rick answered that one, I don't even carry one with me in the field. The ones I have are all hanging from little nails above my grinder and properly labelled to do depth guages on customer's and my own chains.
I was using 13/64" files on Stihl chain yesterday with a Vallorbe guide and didn't have any real success. I found it was "just" missing the lead cutting edge so chains appeared sharp but didn't actually cut (BobL posted pictures of this). Even though Stihl recommend 13/64" files on their 3/8" chain I have had more success with 7/32" files. Funnily enough I have a Stihl file guide that successfully sharpens their 3/8" chain with 13/64" files so got me knackered :confused:
I've got too many chain pitches, styles, and brand in my own collection so get a bit confused sometimes as I forget what file setup used to work well before I started grinding.
Thats why I generally grind all my chains and only file occasionally to keep my eye in ;)

No worries Matt, I use both 7/32 and 13/64 on the Stihl guide, works well. My all time favorite is the Oregon roller guide, but not available for semi chissel, although someone here modified one to fit at one stage I think.

Hello everybody,
I am looking for one Carlton File-O Plate to fit my Stihl MS171's chain.
On paper it should be a 3/8" PMM3 x 0.50" (Picco Micro Mini 3) , I think this refers to a different (lower ?) pitch of the cutters, otherwise described as 'low-profile'.
Only other info I have on the chain is the 3/8" value in mm. = 9,32 and its thickness of 1,3 mm. or .050"
Unfortunately these fab-plates are not for sale in Italy, nor do they seem to be common anywhere else in Europe.
I checked with Baileys but their minimum order to consider overseas shipping is $ 90 and at the moment I don't need to buy anything else.
Amazon has them for sale, but the item costs more then ten times as much as on Baileys, plus shipment: a rip-off.
To me the Carlton File-O Plate has the appeal of simplicity: a guide is all I need, otherwise I'll keep filing the chains freehand. Besides, I think is one of the few tools that allows to check the depth gauges in relation with the cutters wear, which is paramount. Stihl offers their 2 in 1 Easy Sharpener, which I find a bit on the overpriced side, as many of the brand's accessories.
So, I am looking for a kind soul that can help me from overseas, buying a couple of the right sized plates, chucking them in a padded envelope and putting it in the mail. I offer to send my payment in advance, preferably through PayPal, so there's no risk of loosing money for whoever agrees to help me.
I know it's a big favour I'm asking, but a few minutes of your time would really help me solve my problem.
No hurry, either, as falling season is ending in a few days here, but I wish to be prepared for next autumn.
If anybody can be so goodhearted to help me, please get in touch at <vernocchi (at) g m a i l (dot) com> to exchange addresses, or post a private conversation in this forum.
Thank you very much in advance.

Back