Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
59FDF6CB-B2A1-4465-AAA8-30B8C8CC659E.jpeg
73778B8A-F963-44FC-88DC-D075EAB33CF4.jpeg
My mom cleaned this one up and sent me this picture. She likes to craft

Ok, so I kinda messed up. I was cooking pancakes or fried eggs in my cast iron, no problems. It was nicely seasoned.

Then i tried to cook some Chinese dumplings but didn't have the oil hot enough...and they stuck...bad. My normal 'scrub with stiff plastic brush and detergent while still warm' got some of it off...but its still stuck.

What to do?

Green nylon scourer gentry to get it off, then fully reseason? Steel wool back to metal? On the stove real hot to burn it off? Season over it and move on?

I have several carbon steel pans. They're great and I'm using them quite a bit right alongside my new and vintage cast iron pieces.

They weigh less , heat up faster, cool down faster, will last just as long as cast iron if treated well, less brittle than cast iron...they definitely have their use.

Not as good for searing steaks, you want cast iron for that for better heat retention. But for most things, carbon steel works well and they're available right now for good prices.
May I ask which brands you use or recommend?

Thanks!

Philbert

May I ask which brands you use or recommend?

Thanks!

Philbert
I haven't found a huge difference in any of them. I only own Matfer at the moment. I have used a few different brands (lodge, De Buyer, Ballarini) and really it comes down to the exact type of handles they use and how the handles are shaped/affixed.

Some people are really drawn to riveted pans over spot welded...some pans have flatter handles which can store better, some have more angled handles...

To me, the cooking surfaces on all of them were the same. Never a problem in that regard which is what I'm really worried about, so I get the cheapest ones which are usually spot welded and kind of ugly. More utilitarian.

The only one I didn't like was the Lodge that I used. The handle felt flimsy to me, but it was absolutely usable. Other than that, I haven't really used any I didn't like. I can get used to just about any handle angle.

Well, that raises a good question for discussion: what cooks better in carbon steel pans / skillets, and what is better in a cast iron pan?

Philbert

The only thing I have found a major difference with so far is searing meat. Cast iron is thicker and holds more heat. Doesn't cool down as fast with a large steak on it, so it gets a better sear.

Other than that, the seasoning and care is identical. Cooking most things is much the same. Carbon steel takes less time to heat up and cool down. It's much lighter and less brittle than cast iron. You won't crack the handle off carbon steel if you drop it.

At this point, most of my cooking is in carbon steel. I still have, use, and love my cast iron regularly though. However, the pan that never leaves the stove is now a 10" Matfer instead of my #8 Griswold large logo.

I just thought of something else...I've never tried making cornbread in a carbon steel...I still do that in CI. I'm sure it could be done in either though.

I’m a gas guy. Friend has electric induction stove, which might be interesting in some applications (precise control of heat, portable burner, etc.).

I am keeping an eye out for ‘gas infrared burners’. Google them when you have some time to spend down a rabbit hole.

Philbert

I’m a gas guy. Friend has electric induction stove, which might be interesting in some applications (precise control of heat, portable burner, etc.).

I am keeping an eye out for ‘gas infrared burners’. Google them when you have some time to spend down a rabbit hole.

Philbert
I used to install those style heaters in oil patch buildings.

We even designed an off grid heat tracing unit using this style of a heater.

Ok, so I kinda messed up. I was cooking pancakes or fried eggs in my cast iron, no problems. It was nicely seasoned.

Then i tried to cook some Chinese dumplings but didn't have the oil hot enough...and they stuck...bad. My normal 'scrub with stiff plastic brush and detergent while still warm' got some of it off...but its still stuck.

What to do?

Green nylon scourer gentry to get it off, then fully reseason? Steel wool back to metal? On the stove real hot to burn it off? Season over it and move on?
i would want it gone. that or wire wheel 1/4" etc... lightly. then clean... etc

Latest posts

Back