cc concerns

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crater

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, new to site so maybe this is posted already but here it goes.
I am considering buying a Jonsred 2188 w/ 36"bar, My concern is that it isn't really big enough to handle the 36"er as a everyday bar. almost 88cc's seem quite a bit smaller than Stihl's MS660 @91cc or the 880 @121.
What's everyone think of the Jsred 2188 or the Jsred 2187 (they have this one in stock) but even smaller cc's (84)
I don't plan on using this saw for limbing but I don't anticipate change bars either on it either, I'll just as a feller saw.

Hi, new to site so maybe this is posted already but here it goes.
I am considering buying a Jonsred 2188 w/ 36"bar, My concern is that it isn't really big enough to handle the 36"er as a everyday bar. almost 88cc's seem quite a bit smaller than Stihl's MS660 @91cc or the 880 @121.
What's everyone think of the Jsred 2188 or the Jsred 2187 (they have this one in stock) but even smaller cc's (84)
I don't plan on using this saw for limbing but I don't anticipate change bars either on it either, I'll just as a feller saw.

2188 will run a 36" just fine.

ok, now I'm really wondering if the dealer is honest. He just told me that a local tree service was running a 50" on a 2187. Now can this really handle that big.
I guess if the 2187 will really handle the 36" that is probally what im gonna buy. I just want to get some feedback, and weather to order the 2188 or just go for the 2187.

ok, now I'm really wondering if the dealer is honest. He just told me that a local tree service was running a 50" on a 2187. Now can this really handle that big.
I guess if the 2187 will really handle the 36" that is probally what im gonna buy. I just want to get some feedback, and weather to order the 2188 or just go for the 2187.

2188 is a much better saw

I know they bumped the cc's up a little for the 2188, what other diff's are there?
the 2188 is like $65 more but it may be well worth it?

sorry the old model is a 2186,
So is the 2188 really worth the extra $$, not alot I know, is 3cc's and a heaver clutch worth it. I have no experience with large saws, current saw is a Husqvarna 450 with a 18" bar but need somthing that'll rip through a 5' soft maple.

ok I know I'm dumb but why would the jsred recommend up to a 28" bar if it'll run a 36" with no problem? the 2188 is there largest saw I think.

ok I know I'm dumb but why would the jsred recommend up to a 28" bar if it'll run a 36" with no problem? the 2188 is there largest saw I think.

these manufactures!?! i bought a 6400 and dolmar claims it'll run a 32 but i've been told on here not to go past a 24. perhaps your will do fine with a 36?

there is a difference between what it "can" run and what it "can safely" run ;)
they are covering their ass,

its so they don't have alot of guys with damaged saws saying the manufacturer said it could run it

yep, alot of hear-say around so I came here for some sound advice. I've got 2 problems, well maybe more but only 2 I'll discuss here, (1st) is that I don't personlly know of anyone that has a 2186 or 2188 to get there advice from and, (2nd) I'm impatient, kinda like a fine lady, man just has to have it. So my dealer has a 2186 in stock that looks good enough to eat. but on the other hand for $65.00 I can get the 2188 but would have to order it. I'm taking down a soft maple with a base that is like 5' in Dia. in 2 weeks so I need to do something pretty quick. what would you do?

The majority of the folks that post on this joint will give you some of the best advice in the world when it comes to buying, operating and repairing the saw of your choice. The key thing to remember it's your choice. The only experience I have with J-reds is the 2094. Great saw, only had a 24 inch bar running in white oak. Not even so much of a hick-up for the limited amount of time I got to play with it. The J-Red product line has allot of fans on this site and the 2186 or the 2188 will pull a 36 inch bar in soft maple all day long. If you're going to invest in a large cc saw, buy what you can afford, get more than just a 36 inch bar, buy a 20 and a 28 to go with it. After running a big saw with a 36 inch bar and sticking in the dirt a time or two, you'll be glad to pick up your smaller saw.

By the way, welcome to the site.

:cheers:

yea, I was gonna get a 24" for it anyway. I think I'll try and play the dealer against my Stihl dealer maybe get the 24"er and chain thrown in then I'll defiently buy the 2188.

On the longer bars like the 36" that your talking about, I would suggest running a full skip tooth chain. Your saw wont have to work as hard cause it wont be pulling as many cutters as a full comp or a semi skip chains.

I am looking at a 2188 as well. I believe you are correct that Jonsered recommends a 28” bar max for this saw. Could it pull a larger bar?? Probably, but you risk strain on the saw,oiler,bar and chain when you try to push the envelope. A run a 36” bar on one of my 395xp’s and it does well but not as well as the one pulling a 32” bar. My 3120 hauls a 42” bar with authority but strap on the 50” cannon and you will know it. Contractors love to push equipment, I don’t. Talk on this site is cheap. In the real world its your saw,your money and ultimately your choice. Good Luck.

On huskys website they recommend up to a 28" for the 390/2188 and a 32" on the 576. That doesn't make good sense to me unless they have upgraded the case on the 576. I have run a 32" on my 390 a time or two. It is ported so it will pull it pretty good. I don't know how good it would pull a bar that big stock.

Latest posts

Back