Chain does not fit bar sprocket ... help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parotech

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

First of all i'm a noob when it comes to chain types.
Whent to the hardware store today for a new bar and chain for my XL, i don't want to put to much money in that saw, that's the reason i whent to the hardware store.
When i was back at home i realized the chain didn't fit the sprocket nose:
afb019.jpg

It's a .325 chain, i compared the old 12" chain (from wich i don't know the type) and that one did fit the sprocket nose:
afb020.jpg

afb022.jpg

I defenetly need a smaller chain, but wich type??:confused:

And i'm very, very very sorry about the crappy pics

Greetings

Looks like you also bought a semi skip or full skip chain. Why anyone would make a 12" chain in any form of skip is beyond me.

The drivers are spaced further apart as well...

Gary

Okay, first off, there are three measurements to chain.

1. Pitch.
  2. Gauge.
  3. Number of drive links.

Pitch is your problem here. This is the distance between drive links, basically.

Your sprocket must match the pitch of the chain. That's the sprocket on the tip of the bar, and the drive sprocket.

If you bought .325 chain, you probably needed .375, also known as 3/8".

The gauge is the thickness of the drive links where they ride in the groove of the bar.

Here's a good bunch of reading on the subject.

http://www.madsens1.com/MNUbarchain.htm

:cheers:

Thanks a lot for the info people!

there should be numbers on teh old chain,, use them to match it up... read the info others have offered you, and you will understand teh differences..
I checked for numbers but there weren't any:confused:

Okay, first off, there are three measurements to chain.

Pitch.
Gauge.
Number of drive links.

Pitch is your problem here. This is the distance between drive links, basically.

Your sprocket must match the pitch of the chain. That's the sprocket on the tip of the bar, and the drive sprocket.

If you bought .325 chain, you probably needed .375, also known as 3/8".

The gauge is the thickness of the drive links where they ride in the groove of the bar.

Here's a good bunch of reading on the subject.

http://www.madsens1.com/MNUbarchain.htm

So 3/8" would be the right chain? The bar sais .375 on it and the gauge should be .050"/1,3mm
Thanks for the link, i'll check it right now:cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the info people!

I checked for numbers but there weren't any:confused:

So 3/8" would be the right chain? The bar sais .375 on it and the pitch should be .050"/1,3mm
Thanks for the link, i'll check it right now:cheers:

Looking at the photo in your earlier post, your original chain looks like it`s Lo Profile as it`s smaller than the 325``so I would think you will need to cross ref the shops Lp chains, should be something like 3/8 x 050/1.3mm x No of drive links & it should say LP on the box/packet

Isn't there some sort of extended pitch 3/8?

Dad's Echo had the old 1/4" chain and I thought my guy set up as 3/8 extended pitch. Or is this the same as low pro?

Hi all,

First of all i'm a noob when it comes to chain types.
Whent to the hardware store today for a new bar and chain for my XL, i don't want to put to much money in that saw, that's the reason i whent to the hardware store.
When i was back at home i realized the chain didn't fit the sprocket nose:
afb019.jpg

It's a .325 chain, i compared the old 12" chain (from wich i don't know the type) and that one did fit the sprocket nose:
afb020.jpg

afb022.jpg

I defenetly need a smaller chain, but wich type??:confused:

And i'm very, very very sorry about the crappy pics

Greetings

Just eyeballing pictures looks like the top chain is a .325 pitch whereas the lower one is .375(3/8) pitch. Likely reason it won't fit sprocket or roller tip nose of bar.

Does the new chain fit the drive sprocket? Or is it mismatched too?
I think it does, not realy sure, the drive sprocket also fits the bigger Stihl 3/8" as well as the small old chain wich came with the saw.

Looking at the photo in your earlier post, your original chain looks like it`s Lo Profile as it`s smaller than the 325``so I would think you will need to cross ref the shops Lp chains, should be something like 3/8 x 050/1.3mm x No of drive links & it should say LP on the box/packet
The chain package sais: .325 pitch, .050 guage, will check later for the No of drive links.

Isn't there some sort of extended pitch 3/8?

Dad's Echo had the old 1/4" chain and I thought my guy set up as 3/8 extended pitch. Or is this the same as low pro?
The original old chain is defenetly low profile, the pitch i guess is 3/8" but i don't know of the guage, i don't even know the brand of that small chain, probably Oregon or Homelite.

Just eyeballing pictures looks like the top chain is a .325 pitch whereas the lower one is .375(3/8) pitch. Likely reason it won't fit sprocket or roller tip nose of bar.
Indeed, if i'm right i will be needing a 3/8" .050 guage chain.
The bar recommended .375 pitch on the package, if i only knew that was the same as 3/8" when i was standing there at the store ... lol
Just good i bought one of the cheapest ones.

original most likely 3/8 LP

I agree on that. If so, it could be either 1.3 mm or 1.5 gauge.
Most chains I have seen have a number stamped on drive link, hard to
see sometimes that will help on ID.
You can also check original chain with a caliper or micrometer; or bar
slot with feeler gauge.

Indeed, if i'm right i will be needing a 3/8" .050 guage chain.
The bar recommended .375 pitch on the package, if i only knew that was the same as 3/8" when i was standing there at the store ... lol

There ya go. :clap:

Just good i bought one of the cheapest ones.

It would have been even cheaper if you'd gotten the right thing first. ;)

Read that Madsen's link!

I agree on that. If so, it could be either 1.3 mm or 1.5 gauge.
Most chains I have seen have a number stamped on drive link, hard to
see sometimes that will help on ID.
You can also check original chain with a caliper or micrometer; or bar
slot with feeler gauge.
The drive links only have some sort of logo stamped, the parts that go into the bar groves are damaged and unreadable probably because the oiler did not work.

ive been there before man i bought a oregon chain for my echo cs400 for some strange reason it said the h72 chain fit it on the oregon package, it also wouldnt go on my bar like yours, my suspicions were correct it took a s62 chain although it said that one wouldnt fit.

ive been there before man i bought a oregon chain for my echo cs400 for some strange reason it said the h72 chain fit it on the oregon package, it also wouldnt go on my bar like yours, my suspicions were correct it took a s62 chain although it said that one wouldnt fit.
Strange, than you will also know it s:censored:cks pretty much comming home and realize it just won't fit.

Maybe a little off topic, but has anyone muffler modded one of these small XL's before? I was thinking of opening the muffler just a little bit and richen the L adjuster a little, they also don't have limiter tab's. It will be the first saw i ever modded.

[QUOTE
Maybe a little off topic, but has anyone muffler modded one of these small XL's before? I was thinking of opening the muffler just a little bit and richen the L adjuster a little, they also don't have limiter tab's. It will be the first saw i ever modded.[/QUOTE]

i opened up teh muffler on my 240,, its a little bigger than an xl, but it made teh saw run a lot better,, and cooler... do a search, you should find teh thread on it...

Latest posts

Back