Chain Filing techniques

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, What is you chain filing technique when you out in the woods and don't have a vise to chuck the saw in? I am looking for a better method. There must be a better way than my current method of kneeling behind the powerhead,bar against the base of a tree with the tip elevated.Any suggestions other than a stumpvise or replacing the chain?

Last edited:
Cut a groove a few inches into a wide stump and drop the bar in. If you only have smaller trees, cut the groove and then support the saw body on another block of wood or the ground.

Lakeside53 said:
Cut a groove a few inches into a wide stump and drop the bar in. If you only have smaller trees, cut the groove and then support the saw body on another block of wood or the ground.

This makes so much sense. The simplicity is almost insulting. :buttkick:

Chaser (kick me!)

Wear gloves. Sit on the ground with a the saw between your legs (supported on the end of the rear handle, with the bar pointed skywards).

Hold the bar from behind with one hand and file with the other. You'll have to swap hands to file the other half of the cutters.

Don't forget safety. ALWAYS make sure the saw isn't running and the throttle isn't wide open. I've seen people loose some dandy file kits that way. :biggrinbounce2:

I like to put a grove in a stump too. Stump vices look like a great ideal, But the less I have to carry the less I lose.
A stump keeps the chain out of the dirt.

Lakeside53 said:
He probably lost it! Like a couple of mine that are somewhere in the woods!

They can seem to grow legs can't they? I carry mine in a fanny pack, along with a fire extinguisher, role of duct tape, file, flathead screwdriver, extra chain and bar nuts, and cell phone or epirb, depending on where I'm at.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
They can seem to grow legs can't they? I carry mine in a fanny pack, along with a fire extinguisher, role of duct tape, file, flathead screwdriver, extra chain and bar nuts, and cell phone or epirb, depending on where I'm at. ...
You forgot the extra e-clips ......:hmm3grin2orange:

manual said:
I like to put a grove in a stump too. Stump vices look like a great ideal, But the less I have to carry the less I lose.
A stump keeps the chain out of the dirt.
I agree.

Some people over here like to bore-cut an about 4-5" high slit vertically trough a small standing tree, and fix the saw with the bar trough it with the scrench as a wedge.

fishhuntcutwood said:
They can seem to grow legs can't they? I carry mine in a fanny pack, along with a fire extinguisher, role of duct tape, file, flathead screwdriver, extra chain and bar nuts, and cell phone or epirb, depending on where I'm at.

Jeff
Hay Jeff did you realy have to show off your Fanny pack. "Joking"
With all that you carry you forgot the T.P.

manual said:
Hay Jeff did you realy have to show off your Fanny pack. "Joking"
With all that you carry you forgot the T.P.

And the girl scout cookies for the honey bears...:hmm3grin2orange:

Hmmm, seriously, wish I was a prepared sometimes. Usually have everything I need in the truck, but finding it...

Being prepared

Lakeside53 said:
And the girl scout cookies for the honey bears...:hmm3grin2orange:

Hmmm, seriously, wish I was a prepared sometimes. Usually have everything I need in the truck, but finding it...

Yea, know what you mean their's always something I forgot.

Latest posts

Back