Chain Oiling Machine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rleonard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After I sharpen my chains I like to get them completely oiled. I had something years ago like this in my dirt bike days but wanted to build something more professional. I had this little Bodine gear motor and control and it is perfect for the job.

The chain loops over the rotating spindle and drapes into the oil. I let it run overnight then drip off. The oil container slides up and down for different chains. It locks with the hand nut.

A simple project, some Unistrut, plywood and misc.

Bob
detail

detail

detail

detail

Complete oiling chains

Old metal baking sheet from yard sale $1.00 it's 16"x24" with 2" sides put 2qts. of oil in it and let them soak. Then hang them right back over it and let them drip put in back in a new box. Works Great. And it goes right under the bench when I'm done. But I Like those pics Tony

Are you guys being for real? I hang chains on the wall for years, take them down & use them, they work fine, they only need oil to slide in the bar.

Read his signature. He's a machinist, engineer, and fabricator. I say if you want to invent something to oil your chains, more power to you. I oil mine also, but I just use a Maxwell house can of oil and a piece of tubing twisted into a big s-hook. Why, because I like the shiny, oily, like new look they get. I'll bet there's a few closet chain oilers around here.

Where did the pictures I attached go???????????

You didn't attach any files, I can see you tried to link them but it looks like you have the files wrong. There shouldn't be any text after .jpg

Try editing them in your first post.

I know that I could have done this cheaper, I try to do things better. This works.

This project used things laying around in the shop and cost next to nothing to complete. I have the time of about 3 episodes of rerun "Law and Order" invested. Even the paint was left over from the Lister diesel generator set project. No beer was consumed but 2 diet cokes were sacrificed.

Figuring things out and building machines is what I do.

Bob

Interesting. Not of much use, but interesting none the less. My chains reside in one of those zip up vinyl bank bags that businesses use. I just toss a bag-o-chains into the saw case when I go out. All that extra oil would make a mess of my bag.

Ian

I know that I could have done this cheaper, I try to do things better. This works.

This project used things laying around in the shop and cost next to nothing to complete. I have the time of about 3 episodes of rerun "Law and Order" invested. Even the paint was left over from the Lister diesel generator set project. No beer was consumed but 2 diet cokes were sacrificed.

Bob

Isnt that the meaning of life? :hmm3grin2orange:

Bob

Did you invent Stihl's new style oil and fuel caps too?:hmm3grin2orange:

Read his signature. He's a machinist, engineer, and fabricator. I say if you want to invent something to oil your chains, more power to you. I oil mine also, but I just use a Maxwell house can of oil and a piece of tubing twisted into a big s-hook. Why, because I like the shiny, oily, like new look they get. I'll bet there's a few closet chain oilers around here.
Tom , you are correct . I've seen the difference .

Back