Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayerser

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was thinking about buying an oregon 20lp chain for my MS270. I was wondering if it is better then the stihl .325 chain or not.

Cant answer your chain question, I like the Stihl chain on my MS390. I also enjoy seeking out free fire wood, cutting it, loading it, spliting it, I think it is a sickness.......

try the 20nk from bailey's.. might need a new bar to but for my MS260 it has been great.

I run stihl chains only. Never ran anything else. As in my area the husky stihl jonsered dealer only stock's stihl by the roll.

KFC i can agree with you that i think it is a sckness. like they say once you get the saw chips in your blood you cant stop cutting.

sdt7618- i have never looked at the baileys chains i will have to check them out.

Stihl chain is the best that I've found.

That said the Baileys Woodland Pro is probably the best value, being decent quality at a very good price.

I do not run much Oregon chain anymore, doesn't seem to keep an edge like the Stihl or Woodland Pro chain.

Take Care

Stihl chains are the best (hold their edge etc) but for the price I buy from baileys, woodland pro. Not as good as stihl but for the money good. I do stick with stihl on my long (over 26" bars) because they have oil holes in the drive links to aid in lubrication on long bars.

I just bought a new stihl chain today local for $23. Baileys wants $25 for the woodland pro shipped to the house. I think I will stay with the Stihl chain.

I just bought a new stihl chain today local for $23. Baileys wants $25 for the woodland pro shipped to the house. I think I will stay with the Stihl chain.

I have found in my opinion that baileys is very high to ship one item, but if you get many many many items, they shipping is almost the same as shipping one item for some rason, so you can spread the cost of shipping out over many items and its usually cheaper

My dealer just sold me some oregon lpx chain, he said the cutters are harder than the regular lp chain. I have been using it this week, and it seems to hold an edge a bit better than the old lp chain. Not sure about price comparison though.
Also the cutters have a pretty blue colour to them (nice!):greenchainsaw:

Find someone with Carlton chain and get them to make you a few loops so far that has been the best chain I have found for my Mac and baby Stihl

I was thinking about buying an oregon 20lp chain for my MS270. I was wondering if it is better then the stihl .325 chain or not.
I like the lp chain for limbing, less grabby. that said if your saw has a .325 sprocket and bar it ani't gonna work. the distance between drive links will be different. I think

Only Stihl chains for me from now on. I used to use Oregon chains on my old saw, and would have to sharpen after a days wood cutting.

It has now been two years since I bought my 440. I got 2 chains with the saw, and I still have not yet sharpened either one of them. That is two years worth of cutting firewood on two chains. I need to get them both touched up a bit but they both still cut better than a sharp Oregon did for me.:greenchainsaw:

Only Stihl chains for me from now on. I used to use Oregon chains on my old saw, and would have to sharpen after a days wood cutting.

It has now been two years since I bought my 440. I got 2 chains with the saw, and I still have not yet sharpened either one of them. That is two years worth of cutting firewood on two chains. I need to get them both touched up a bit but they both still cut better than a sharp Oregon did for me.:greenchainsaw:

the stihl chain either ani't dull or the oregons ani't sharp. I ani't got no stock in either company but I know BS when I step in it or see it

i think i am just going to stick with the stihl chains now.

Photog95- i think either you dont have to cut that much firewood or your chains somehow get sharpened when you dont know it. If i had two chains that i didnt have to sharpen after cutting wood for two year i would be on my knees praising who ever the hell made that chain.

My dealer just sold me some oregon lpx chain, he said the cutters are harder than the regular lp chain. I have been using it this week, and it seems to hold an edge a bit better than the old lp chain. Not sure about price comparison though.
Also the cutters have a pretty blue colour to them (nice!):greenchainsaw:

The newer LPX is nice stuff. I have a couple loops in 3/8 for my 120si. I like it! Only problem is most dealers (around here) have bought 100ft rolls of the older stuff and will sell that first before ordering the new. So most haven't got it yet.

Natural sharpening

At the end of a long day of cutting, I just drop the bar nose into a nice pile of gravel and go full throttle. The natural abrasive action of the fine pumice-like stones hone the cutters to a razor sharp edge that is second to none. Keep wasting your $$$ on files and grinders you suckers......:jester:

i think i am just going to stick with the stihl chains now.

Photog95- i think either you dont have to cut that much firewood or your chains somehow get sharpened when you dont know it. If i had two chains that i didnt have to sharpen after cutting wood for two year i would be on my knees praising who ever the hell made that chain.

I use a short box Ford Ranger and cut about 20 loads in that every year. By most peoples standards it probably isn't that much. You are more than welcome to come on down and inspect the chains for yourself. You can see that they have never been touched. I will also show you the bill of sale for the saw when I bought it in April of 2007.

Now the Oregon chains didn't hold an edge for me at all. I did sharpen them myself and never claimed to be an expert at the art of saw chain grinding but they felt sharp when I started but would not last trough a full day of cutting.

I've got no reason to BS on this. I hold no stock in the company and I am no longer a 16 year old punk bragging about my fast honda accord with fart can exhaust and V-tec decals. If you don't wish to beleive me it is your choiceand I will not hold that decision against you

I use a short box Ford Ranger and cut about 20 loads in that every year. By most peoples standards it probably isn't that much. You are more than welcome to come on down and inspect the chains for yourself. You can see that they have never been touched. I will also show you the bill of sale for the saw when I bought it in April of 2007.

Now the Oregon chains didn't hold an edge for me at all. I did sharpen them myself and never claimed to be an expert at the art of saw chain grinding but they felt sharp when I started but would not last trough a full day of cutting.

I've got no reason to BS on this. I hold no stock in the company and I am no longer a 16 year old punk bragging about my fast honda accord with fart can exhaust and V-tec decals. If you don't wish to beleive me it is your choiceand I will not hold that decision against you

It's been my experience that a lot of guys here have bought into the theory of cutting longer lengths and bucking them at another location. Big mistake in my personal opinion and probably get flamed for saying it but you WILL use more chains doing that. Rolling logs around and getting dirt on them equals dulling chains quicker, period. We cut where it falls.

That said, 2 years is a heck of a long time and my hats off to you as you obviously don't hit the ground.:clap: Do you lift logs in the air or cut close and roll it over to finish the cut? If you want to keep your record don't ever cut dead osage orange(hedgeapple). It'll dull it quicker than any wood I've dealt with.

Back