"Chainsaw Buddy"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
ok, i saw it on one of the sponsors sites and figured i had to try one of these gizmos as it looked like a good idea for 1-man cleanup jobs on small stuff like saplings and downed downed tree tops. it arrived yesterday, it is very simple, lightweight, easy to use and does what it claims to do.
i tried it out today on a lil area i plan to get cleared in the sping, cutting up fallen tree tops and fallen trees/saplings up to 5" diameter (IMO it will not work on much bigger cause of the weight of the tree and pinch possibilities). instead of picking up the dead wood and laying it over other logs, cutting a few pieces, stopping, repositioning the wood, cutting more, stopping again, and so on.......i was able to slide this gizmo under the wood while it was laying on the ground, cut the piece, move to the next cut.....IMO, i was surprised, i was able to cut up a 20ft. fallen small tree of a 4"-5" diameter without dragging, lifting, repositioning the tree. the added weight to saw is minimal and to me was not noticeable....especially since it will probably be used on a smaller saw since it is used for smaller wood. in a 1/2 hour i got done what may have taken over an hour with 2 people (1 feeding the wood and 1 cutting). it kept my chain out of the dirt, it was light and simple/easy/fast to use, and for the price, IMO it was worth it if u have clean-up of small wood. one small mod is gonna be adding lock-washers to the thumb bolts that hold on the serrated stops since one of them vibrated loose on me.
P1010107.jpg

Hi Vman,

Your report is interesting, glad to hear that it is working out.

How quickly can you detach that device from the saw if you wanted to use it for felling or limbing?

Another option could be to limb those small trees as much as possible while standing and then lay them down on each other in a jackpot. Then just cut your way through the pile, working from the uppermost supported portions to the bottoms.

Russ

jokers ...... detaching it takes about 15 seconds, just 3 allen head bolts that seat up against the bar...(they are on the other side of the bar from the pic), to put it back on i will say 1 minute to be sure positioning is right (the positioning is very simple). i can take a pic of the other side of the mount if u want to see it. for $30 i find it a handy rig, i can just walk around the areas i am clearing up, walk up to the downed wood, cut it up on the ground, than come back with the lawn tractor w/cart, and throw in the cut wood.
if i can figure out how my camera can take a short video, ill take a quick one of it in use.

A chainsaw buddy here in Ky. is the guy carrying the cooler, and loading the
firewood.
Nice post, looks like a neat idea.

Hi Vman,

It is a pretty clever device, looks more useful than many other chainsaw devices I have seen.

I`ve seen the manufacturers video on the Buddy in use, looks simple enough.
Chainsaw Buddy Video

Russ

Fish said:
A chainsaw buddy here in Ky. is the guy carrying the cooler, and loading the
firewood.
Nice post, looks like a neat idea.

Same here in Canada except you bring a buddette and a couple of blankets also ! :laugh: :cool:

Well depending were your going to be ;) :rolleyes:

Not this weekend however

jokers said:
I`ve seen the manufacturers video on the Buddy in use, looks simple enough.
Chainsaw Buddy Video

yea, the thing that amazes me is that it actually works as simple and good as the advertisement video.......that don't happen too often..LOL

Fish ....we have those chainsaw buddies here too, but the price of gas has lessened availabilty!!!!

hey, just for laughs, can anyone ID that saw? it don't compare to my 440, but was a cheapie about 5 years ago, has done tons of cutting, and is still pretty strong and reliable.

Vman said:
hey, just for laughs, can anyone ID that saw? it don't compare to my 440, but was a cheapie about 5 years ago, has done tons of cutting, and is still pretty strong and reliable.
Looks like a saw made by Poulan, probably Jonsered 2036 or 2040.

If I had to guess on that little craftsman probably around 40 ccs or so 16 or 18 in bar. I wouldn't put money on it but that would be my guess.

Glad to hear a chainsaw buddy is actually as good as its supposed to be.

I'm betting that saw is a smaller Poulan disguised as a Jonsered, or a craftsman saw of the same variety.

the saw is a Snapper 1838 (18"/38CC) :)
i am not sure, but IMO it may be made by poulan.
i did more work with the chainsaw buddy yesterday, it is probably the best $30 i ever spent...providing it holds up a while. definitley getting a scrappy piece of my property cleaned up without a hassle and in a timely manner.

Fish said:
My old girlfriend had the nickname Snapper/ Wild thing.

She was ugly, but I miss that girl.

and man could she ever !!!! :laugh:

Chainsaw buddy

Where did you purchase your Chainsaw Buddy? It looks like just the item I need for cutting up smaller Alders on my property.

Addendum: I found one on the Bailey's site and put in an order. There was something similar or maybe the same thing available on e-Bay but after shipping it was a push when it came to cost. I'll go with a site sponsor as I've gotten lots of good information from this site.

I'll stick it on my little Homelite and use it exclusively for the smaller stuff.

Thanks for the heads up on this product.

Last edited:
alderman.....yep, i got it from Bailey's. your lil homelite just needs to have at least a 14" bar. there is 2 positions for the serrated stops and the position closest to the bar nose seemed to work for everything i cut with it so far. if cutting larger than 6", the lengths really need to be on the short side cause of the weight factor IMO. but for the 5" and less, it has really been great.
just keep an eye on the thumb screws (snug them down good or add a lock washer to them) as 1 vibrated loose on me and i almost lost one of the serrated stops, i noticed it before the screw fell out.....that is actually the only "gliche" i had with it and was not a big deal at all.
when u get it, i would like to hear how u make out with it.

Chainsaw Buddy arrived today

Well I sure can't kick about Bailey's delivery system. The Chainsaw Buddy arrived this morning. I slapped her together and put it on the Homelite. It worked great until one of the lower pins that keep the swing arm from dropping too far fell out.

I tried some lock tite on it too see if I can keep it in place as well as e-mailing Baileys about the problem. I hate to hassle with sending it back if I don't have to.

I can see where this is going to come in handy on the smaller stuff around here, especially the Maple which tends to roll up the chain more than the Alder.

wow,,,i'm gonna double check my pins too!! also, if u read one of my previous posts, i would suggest lock washers on the thumb screws for the serrated stops.

well, besides the fact that the pin fell out, how did u feel about this gizmo? ...i want to hear another opinion besides mine :)

Chainsaw Buddy

I think it will work great for cutting up the smaller stuff. I'll probably leave it on the Homelite and use my other saws for the bigger cutting. It'll get a bigger workout after hunting season when I start cutting firewood. I really don't need any right now as I got busy last winter. The PUD dropped a bunch of trees along their power line right of way and I cut up enough for a couple of years.
While I was trying it out, I had a couple of small branches roll up the chain and the buddy stopped them before they reached the motor. A safer option than using a foot to hold them.

I was wondering what would be the best method for securing the pins in the body?

Back