chainsaw not cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

961kyle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have been sharpening my own chains for awhile and have never had this, i started with a newly sharpened chain, it cut about two or three inches into the log the stopped cutting into the log just, chain kept moving but i wasnt getting anywhere, and eventually just started smoking, next chain did the same thing, and the one after that, tried three chains, anyone have any ideas i would love to hear them

A picture of the bar would help to see if it is burnt up, any discolloration? Does the chain turn by hand freely on the bar? My first quess is you stuck the chain on backwards by accident, it happens. But, unlikely with 3 chains. Even a relatively dull chain will cut some, so I'm not gonna question your sharpening skills.

Reread your post and the chain is moving freely. Probably not a burnt up bar.
If the bar is going in a couple inches and curving to one side and stopping, could be dull on one side, ie cutting stumps will often dull the down hill side, or damaged bar. But, you said fresh sharpened chain. Still kinda sounds like chain on backwards. But if you do that it usally only goes through the bark before stopping.

Some other folks will jump in soon, Joe.

I had this happen once. Years earlier, someone repaired the tree with cement. I hit the cement directly. Ruined a new chain instantly. Resharpen your chain and try another log. It may be there is something, steel, cement, other tough object stuck in there.

Forgot the obvious, forieng matter in tree. Is this a yard tree? If you hit metal it usually jumps and you can hear it. If you hit concrete or brick it will just stop cutting and it will smoke. If you keep sticking the bar back in the same groove you'll just keep wiping out the chains, Joe.

When was the last time the bar was dressed? Is it mushroomed out? I've seen bars so bad that as soon as the chain was into the wood the bar hung up b/c the bar was wider than the chain.

961kyle, tell us how you are sharpening the chain and how you are adjusting the raker depth.

A close up pic of the chain would be helpful, if you have the ability to do so.

i vote for unfiled rakers. i just bought a saw from a fella that told me the chain needed sharpening. it didn't, he just kept filing the tooth and never dropped his rakers. ;)

thanks for all the ideas, im thinkin i need to file down the rakers, ive never done that, i have checked them in the past and they looked ok but im guessing it doesnt take much for them to cause a problem, i hope this is whats causeing the problem, im sharpening the chain with an electric sharpener, a cheap one i bought from menards, it has done the job so far, like i mentioned i have never done the rakes

Last edited:
it seems a little unusual that all 3 chains would suddenly need the rakers lowered at the same time. More than a little unusual.

Has to be something in the tree, rebar, nails, pipe etc. Sharpen your chains again, adress the rakers and try on a different piece of wood.
I've rocked a couple of chains hitting old hog wire in a tree before. A chain will usually cut through the small ga hog wire and then when you put on another chain and cut deeper you just keep on hitting strands.

Definatly sharpen with a file. I used an electric sharpener up till this year and now that I learnt to use a file and do it correctly I will never ruin another chain with that electric sharpner again. As far as why your not cutting sounds to me like your probly gettin crooked in the cut. Check the angles on your cutting teeth and see if maybe one side is different from the other. I had a streak of that happening to me a few months ago.

Sharpening with a machine has nothing to do with ruining chains. The operator using a machine correctly or incorrectly determines that.
After 35 years of hand filing imho as good as anyone I broke down and bought a grinder. Used properly it does a great job of sharpening, especially for firewood cutting. Can I get a chain sharper by hand filing, absolutely but many of the most respected guys here on AS use grinder, grinders are just a tool, and their are varying qualities of grinders but most are adequate, if a person is not good enough to hand file a rocked out chain, use a grinder to get consistent angles and then just touch them up with a file.

Has to be something in the tree, rebar, nails, pipe etc. Sharpen your chains again, adress the rakers and try on a different piece of wood.
I've rocked a couple of chains hitting old hog wire in a tree before. A chain will usually cut through the small ga hog wire and then when you put on another chain and cut deeper you just keep on hitting strands.
agreed!

Yeah I know its not the tools fault its the operator, I just dont have the patience or skill for a grinder. Plus the ones we have are just the cheap $30.
00 models from Harbor Freight.

sounds like you hit something . rock leaves scratches and metal sort of polishes . you need to sharpen back to the chrome on top of the chain or it wont cut , best way to do this is a grinder , this is what the new chain is sharpened with from the factory . metal ,rocks etc are comon in back yard trees ,and really mess up your chains . mate ruined 2 lucas mill chains 4.5ft long on a small brick . so when you push in and there aint no shavins coming out drop the throttle . and check the chain , cause you hit something :(

i dont know whats goin, i sharpened the chains, did the rakers, doubled and triple checked to make sure the chain is on right, got a different log, started cutting, and same thing, in a few inches then just spinning chain, went through 2 chains, 2 different logs, think im just going to go get a bar chain combo and see if that will help, not sure whatelse it would be, i have sharpened my own chains for 3 years now and have never had any problems with them

Hey 961Kyle,
Have you tried flipping the bar?
Could be that the rails are not level and the chain is tipping to one side which might be affecting the angle of the cutters.
Just a thought
Good luck

Latest posts

Back