Chainsaw Purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which saw

• Total voters
+1 vote for the Echo.

Out of the two mentioned in the original post though, I'd take the husky. I haven't used either but keep hearing all the time about 291s burning up.

Don't know where you are in the decision process, but how mechanically savvy are you? Do you "need" complete dealer support? If so, My vote would be the Husky

BUT, If you are reasonably handy with maintenance my suggestion is to buy used, possibly from a reputable person here. You would save a bunch and as others have stated could use the rest toward equipment, bars, chains etc.
It also opens you up to a wider variety of saws, professional level that would otherwise be out of your price range. I bought 2 such saws here for the same amount as your budget (also had the same husky/Stihl mindset as they were what i was most familiar with).

Husky 346's regularly come up for $350~
Stihl 026/260's for $200-$300.
Both of which would serve well as the 50cc part of a future 2 saw set up, and I would put either against the two you listed.
Or a 60cc one saw set up.
Or you could jump straight up to a 70cc saw like Stihl 044/440 or the 372xp. Either of those would eat up most of your budget and would be overkill unless you regularly need a 20" bar, but this is Arbiorst Site...

To me, it is hard to beat the cost/value ratio of the 026. Not the fastest but simple/reliable and leaves so much extra in the budget for future purchases

The OP will have no support for a Maruyama or Dolmar saw so why try to persuade him to buy something he will have no local dealer support for. He has stated there is a good Stihl dealer near him and a couple Husqvarna dealers not far away. Where would he go for support/repair when the non supported saw needs something? By local and have support if you are not a chainsaw mechanic/rebuilder, a 291 will last a homeowner/occasional saw user for a real long time if its just marginally looked after and he can get support if needed locally, no one needs the hassle of mailing their saw off to some remote repair center or scouring the web for parts.

He would whip out the cellphone and the Dolmar world is at his fingers. Oh, and depending on where he is in Ohio, he may be right around the corner from the best Dolmar dealer I've ever seen.

If you are considering a 291 Stihl, then the Echo 590 is a no brainer.

You'll be over your guilt trip of spending that extra $100. With that $100 in your pocket, and the $500 you'll save on heat this winter, you'll be able to go out and buy a nice small saw next year and your conscious will be clear. UNTIL YOU WANT (need) THAT BIG SAW.

He would whip out the cellphone and the Dolmar world is at his fingers. Oh, and depending on where he is in Ohio, he may be right around the corner from the best Dolmar dealer I've ever seen.
Where is that?

Well I received a decent sized Stihl gift card for christmas so that almost kind of makes up my mind for me, unless i want to buy a lot of 2 stroke oil and bar/chain oil LOL

I'm now leaning towards MS 261

Now you're talking!

261-CM for the win.

Make sure it's the new version. Google 261 new version. It's easy to spot the difference. Lighter and more powerful.

moobed261c-jpg.545856

If the OP, I'd still be considering the Maruyama, a Dolly on sale from @fordf150 (good fellow), or the Echo, before buying the 261cm. It's not that I don't like it (heck, I haven't even run it - that's Andrew in the video with my saw), but there are just some extremely good value for money deals on the others at the mo'. Maybe spend the vouchers on chaps, helmet, muffs, etc?

If the OP, I'd still be considering the Maruyama, a Dolly on sale from @ford150 (good fellow), or the Echo, before buying the 261cm. It's not that I don't like it (heck, I haven't even run it - that's Andrew in the video with my saw), but there are just some extremely good value for money deals on the others at the mo'. Maybe spend the vouchers on chaps, helmet, muffs, etc?
I'd do the same! The dolmar/maruyama is in the same power/quality range as the 261 for MUCH less money!

Well I received a decent sized Stihl gift card for christmas so that almost kind of makes up my mind for me, unless i want to buy a lot of 2 stroke oil and bar/chain oil LOL

I'm now leaning towards MS 261

The 261 is leaps and bounds nicer than the 290/291 you were considering, for many reason already mentioned.

Just saw that site sponsor Ford150 is doing a Christmas sale and has the Dolmar 5105 for $380! Really a no-brainer right there IMHO.

Use those stihl vouchers for chaps, chains, sharpener, motomix, whatever....

Latest posts

Back