chainsaw style, help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randemgun

Reaction score
Hey guys, need some of you pros to help me make the right choice. I am going to be working in the National Forest this April clearing any dead fall trees on the hiking and horse trails. This is my first year as a sawyer. I am in the lawn business but leave the tree work to the tree pros but I do use a chainsaw every week and consider myself to be pretty good. I have a 290 farm boss. What I have decided to buy for the forest work is the 192. The issues we face is the weight and how much I can carry on my horse. Every single item that goes on that horse must be weighed and we have a max weight for every horse depending on his size and age. Were talking back country here. Seems like most guys use the 192 but I cannot decide over the ce or tce. I have never used a saw with no rear handle. We may cut out 10 to 15 trees on a 10 mile trail usually about 20 inches. We keep the saws really sharp and let the chain do the work and we understand the power issues of the 192 vs the 150 vs the 201. All we cut out is enough room to open the trail back up for users to walk through. Very little if any of the cutting is above head but a good bit is shoulder high. What do you guys think? Front or read handle? Rear handle is 3 ounces heavier and $75 more. Thanks for any replies!!

yes the 3 oz is not an issue, I guess its the handling and the cost is what I was more interested in. Do you have an opinion on that Guido?

yes the 3 oz is not an issue, I guess its the handling and the cost is what I was more interested in. Do you have an opinion on that Guido?

I have lots of opinions on a vast array of topics. In this case you need to go to your local dealer and fondle the saws you have identified and see which one best suits your needs (and hands).

You might also want to check that you will not be working in a designated wilderness area where power equipment is not allowed.

that's a good thought but when we work in the national forest we have to call in every day and give our location as well as our names. We are actually considered employees of the usda and covered under workmans comp. we also have to abide by all the usda requirements such as boots, lace, 8 inch, full chaps with at least 3100 cutting, gloves, hard hat etc. Really would like your opinion. Been to the dealer and held both and it feels like a toy compared to my 290 but its one of those thing I need opinions of ones who have actually used both.

I have an 020avp which is a lot like the 192c-e. I like the rear handle it just feels better to me. But like stated above go play with them. You will get your answer. Congrats on the saw, post what you choose.

Sounds like you got a pretty cool job.:cool:

Latest posts

Back