Chainsaws...FL perspective

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timistall

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Greetings from sunny Florida. Just thought I would give my perspective of chainsaws from central Florida. For the most part we don’t cut wood to heat. Fireplaces are for looks and it’s cool to burn when we have a “frost”. Whats snow? We cut a lot of pine and different kinds of oak, china berry and some campfer trees. The oak is mostly used for BBQ and campfires. I do storm damage and local home removals. Instead of high dump fees we stack the oak on the curbs and locals take it for BBQ cooking. I’ve been a member since 05 and have seen a lot of changes. Back in the day, porting was a trade secret. I’ve been blessed to be able to try most of the brands. I have my favorites, but I’m not going to fight over it. I think AS members go way overboard at times. I run all ported saws. My EHP372wp wears a 24in bar, EHP361 wears a 20in. and my DN5100 wears a 18in. bar. I’ve had a ported 346xp, when you cut and drag all day I got tired of the Husky rolling over on its side. I don’t buy this “side way balance” stuff. I have one of the first ported 5100s and if it was any faster it would be a laser. I had a DN6400 Dolmar and did not realize how fast and strong it was till after I sold it. I have the MS361 “tweener” for when I grab only one saw. The 372xp has the full wrap handle and I put the smaller dawgs on it. Speaking for myself, I see no use for a saw under 50cc except for the 200T. I mix 32:1 syn and mostly use Stihl chain. In central FL we have no “ma and pa” saw shops. Dealer support and help is zero. Dolmar left my area and the Stihl dealers are mostly lawn mower shops(we cut a lot of grass down here) I’m waiting for the MS261, but I’d keep it strato. That’s about it.

Greetings from sunny Florida. Just thought I would give my perspective of chainsaws from central Florida. For the most part we don’t cut wood to heat. Fireplaces are for looks and it’s cool to burn when we have a “frost”. Whats snow? We cut a lot of pine and different kinds of oak, china berry and some campfer trees. The oak is mostly used for BBQ and campfires. I do storm damage and local home removals. Instead of high dump fees we stack the oak on the curbs and locals take it for BBQ cooking. I’ve been a member since 05 and have seen a lot of changes. Back in the day, porting was a trade secret. I’ve been blessed to be able to try most of the brands. I have my favorites, but I’m not going to fight over it. I think AS members go way overboard at times. I run all ported saws. My EHP372wp wears a 24in bar, EHP361 wears a 20in. and my DN5100 wears a 18in. bar. I’ve had a ported 346xp, when you cut and drag all day I got tired of the Husky rolling over on its side. I don’t buy this “side way balance” stuff. I have one of the first ported 5100s and if it was any faster it would be a laser. I had a DN6400 Dolmar and did not realize how fast and strong it was till after I sold it. I have the MS361 “tweener” for when I grab only one saw. The 372xp has the full wrap handle and I put the smaller dawgs on it. Speaking for myself, I see no use for a saw under 50cc except for the 200T. I mix 32:1 syn and mostly use Stihl chain. In central FL we have no “ma and pa” saw shops. Dealer support and help is zero. Dolmar left my area and the Stihl dealers are mostly lawn mower shops(we cut a lot of grass down here) I’m waiting for the MS261, but I’d keep it strato. That’s about it.

nice saws. really love my 361. Interesting story. I have wood in garage for grill too.

I used to live in Naples. I owned a lawn care business that I ran on Marco. That far south there really was not very many trees that I ever came across that required anything more than a small arborist saw.

I cannot even recall what I carried on the trailer other than it was a small Stihl. Which I did not clean one time and the sap ate through the case and I put epoxy in the holes and it worked. And yes the dealer was more for selling lawn mowers and trimmers than they ever were saws.

We always hired out to have Palm trees cleaned and trimmed. Skinny Cubans did very nice work with that. There was no way slightly overweight person as myself would have ever climber a swaying coconut tree.

I did cut some Australian pines at my house down though as they were nuisance tree and non-native.

Last edited:
After 4 major hurricanes hit my hotel in New Smyrna Beach FLorida that me and my wife just bought in 2004 you couldn't get a chainsaw or a generator in 4 states a chainsaw was gold with so many trees down in the whole state. No gators in the lakes here in Oregon:):)

We went through Andrew. But thankfully on the west coast and not in Homestead.

My parents were on a gen set for weeks after the last hit they took in Naples.

I remember it like it was yesterday during Andrew the water was pushing in around the windows seams in the frames. Watching neighbors shingles flap in the wind like the pages of a book being flipped through. We did not have storm shutters. The crazy long lines for fuel and food. I was taking care of 50 plus residential home landscapes by myself and worked what seemed like endless hours trying to get things back to normal and we where hit light compared to the East coast.

Now I just fear Midwest tornado's. Not as much warning with these.

What part of Florida are you in? I am in Sarasota and have been there most of my life. I agree totally with you, here in Fla. fire places are just for show, and the biggest use of wood is for BBQ and camp fires. Hell most of the fire places down here are run off gas anyways.

whats up!!!!

What part of Florida are you in? I am in Sarasota and have been there most of my life. I agree totally with you, here in Fla. fire places are just for show, and the biggest use of wood is for BBQ and camp fires. Hell most of the fire places down here are run off gas anyways.

howdy ya all!!!! nice to see some other members from florida!!!Im in the west central area st pete yea it seems like we got more grass then trees eh?Plent of palm tree trimming heheheeh!

I think its good to see things from other folks perspective. We might all do better to remember that we dont all live and operate.

Texas is much the same as Florida, we do get snow and ice. In the rural community I live in a lot of folks heat with wood. Its more an economic issue here as anything else.

Good take on it.

I grew up in North Florida, cuttin, selling and heating with wood.
A lot different that central or south FL :)

Thanks guys, I feel bad for yall up north. You cut wood for weeks on end to heat your homes and I'm down here using sunscreen fishing. I live outside Orlando in a small "cow town". Heck, my power bill with water and garbage pickup was 159.00. With gas at over 3.00 I doubt I'll every run my generator on the next hurricane. Told the wife it will be like a camping trip. Hope all fair well this week with the snow storms.

hmmm

Thanks guys, I feel bad for yall up north. You cut wood for weeks on end to heat your homes and I'm down here using sunscreen fishing. I live outside Orlando in a small "cow town". Heck, my power bill with water and garbage pickup was 159.00. With gas at over 3.00 I doubt I'll every run my generator on the next hurricane. Told the wife it will be like a camping trip. Hope all fair well this week with the snow storms.

Titus ville has some darn good red and trout fishing!!!

I fished all around Marco Island and Isle of Capri during my 8th grade through high school. Went close to Everglades city by boat as well. Became PADI certified in a check out dive in the keys. I have done many trip s out to what they called the blue hole off Marco fishing.

You know you trust your boat when you go off shore 26+miles in a 21" cuddy cabin with one motor.

I miss the fishing down there and the warm weather but never the people. To many ten cent millionaires for my liking. THE northerners come down and act like they are all their own gods' and expect the world to revolve around them.

Anyone that has lived in FL for any length of time knows what I am saying.

I fished all around Marco Island and Isle of Capri during my 8th grade through high school. Went close to Everglades city by boat as well. Became PADI certified in a check out dive in the keys. I have done many trip s out to what they called the blue hole off Marco fishing.

You know you trust your boat when you go off shore 26+miles in a 21" cuddy cabin with one motor.

I miss the fishing down there and the warm weather but never the people. To many ten cent millionaires for my liking. m. THE northerners come down and act like they are all their own gods' and expect the world to revolve around them.

Anyone that has lived in FL for any length of time knows what I am saying.

Very true, especially so in my area. And the worst part is, our economy thrives on them. Sarasota is known for beaches and retirement.

Have family still in Englewood and we would go to Sarasota I think it was and look for sharks teeth. You could find them there. Never found one in Naples area though.

Did find quite a few Snook and Red fish:clapn:

After 4 major hurricanes hit my hotel in New Smyrna Beach FLorida that me and my wife just bought in 2004 you couldn't get a chainsaw or a generator in 4 states a chainsaw was gold with so many trees down in the whole state. No gators in the lakes here in Oregon:):)

New Smyrna Beach here also. I have lived here all of my 50 years and that was a freak occurrence. Only time I can ever remember being without power for more than a few hours. I know there are really bad hurricanes, but I have never experienced one. Always stay. However if a cat 4 or 5 is coming straight in from the east I'm outta here.

Just installed a wood burning stove and we have used it quite a bit this year. It's the hot summers that I can't stand.

Have family still in Englewood and we would go to Sarasota I think it was and look for sharks teeth. You could find them there. Never found one in Naples area though.

Did find quite a few Snook and Red fish:clapn:

Venice is very big for sharks teeth. That is where they have the sharks tooth festival every year. The fishing is pretty here, dont get to do as much as I like but always have a good time. Now is the time of year for river fishing for snook.

I still have a prayer, the blizzard isn't here yet... Brian, can I come stay with you for a week?

All will be quiet for now, but 12 hours out, I expect to live on the tractor pushing up snow.

Venice is very big for sharks teeth. That is where they have the sharks tooth festival every year. The fishing is pretty here, dont get to do as much as I like but always have a good time. Now is the time of year for river fishing for snook.

Live finger mullet.....here snookie snookie. Never can go wrong with a Golden eye and some dock lights. Spent many nights doing that.= cruising the docks.

Back