Chaisaw brand recommendations please??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxguy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Okay, it seems I cannot get a Stihl chainsaw (see first post)… well I can but not from the USA. Problem is cost here in New Zealand. They are ridiculously overpriced here (like everything else). Hence my trying to order one from overseas.

To be honest I have purchased quite a few goods from the US, like many folk do now. International trade (sales) is obviously great for any local economy, and it helps keep your local prices low by adding to the turnover. There are also quite a few US shipping companies who have appeared on the strength of this alone!... Anyways, that wont solve my problem here. So, with that in mind, what brand of chainsaw would you more experienced sorts recommend, with the obvious exception of the elusive “Stihl” brand that is. Preferably a 20” bar setup.

Basically, my wife and I live on a small lifestyle block that has a few trees. Our home is wood heated, so I will be cutting firewood every year, and also ringing up the occasional larger tree, some hardwood. My last chainsaw was a Poulan pro, which had a 16” bar. It was basically a piece of crap, and spent more time in the shop than cutting wood! Although saying that, maybe I did ask it to do more than it was supposed to, as we had a few large trees that needed sorting when we bought the place. However, the Poulan was very finicky, and the choke linkage was always coming loose, it struggled starting when warm, it constantly drained itself of chain lube when idle……Borrowed my friends Stihl one time, it was like moving up from a Mini to a Rolls..! I dream about that chainsaw :msp_unsure:

Would love a new Stihl, which should easily even see me out to the end of my days, but we just cant afford one with everything else we have to contend with (repairs to our house following the Earthquakes that took our city down)… but more than that, its almost criminal what we get ripped off for here. A Farm Boss that costs around equivalent of $500NZ in the US, is about $1400NZ here.

Sorry, enough of my crying, but that leaves me looking for something other than a Stihl. Bearing in mind that I need something that I can get repaired (we have a Stihl agent two miles away dam it) when needed.

Thanks to all you knowledgeable sorts out there, who may be able to give me advice.:smile2:

Can you get a Husqvarna 353? 346XP? Dolmar 5105? Makita 6401? 510? Any of these would make an excellent firewood saw. Could you buy a used Stihl online like an 028 Super, 026 Pro, MS260, MS261? You stated the prices are 2.8 times higher. Is that true with everything there? I noticed your dollar is now equal to ours.

With your proximity to Japan, wouldn't it be cheaper to get a japanese saw, Echo, for instance. The CS500p gets good reviews and has that nice 5yr warranty and would make an awesome firewood saw for a homeowner.

Saxguy, have you considered an older saw that is still a great contender amongst the saws available to a guy today? A saw that was produced by the millions, is easy to work on, that you can get parts for via the www, and is a great value? I am thinking of the venerable McCulloch 10-10 of course. Good luck in your quest. Whichever way you go there are a lot of good saws out there.

Okay, it seems I cannot get a Stihl chainsaw (see first post)… well I can but not from the USA. Problem is cost here in New Zealand. They are ridiculously overpriced here (like everything else). Hence my trying to order one from overseas.

To be honest I have purchased quite a few goods from the US, like many folk do now. International trade (sales) is obviously great for any local economy, and it helps keep your local prices low by adding to the turnover. There are also quite a few US shipping companies who have appeared on the strength of this alone!... Anyways, that wont solve my problem here. So, with that in mind, what brand of chainsaw would you more experienced sorts recommend, with the obvious exception of the elusive “Stihl” brand that is. Preferably a 20” bar setup.

Basically, my wife and I live on a small lifestyle block that has a few trees. Our home is wood heated, so I will be cutting firewood every year, and also ringing up the occasional larger tree, some hardwood. My last chainsaw was a Poulan pro, which had a 16” bar. It was basically a piece of crap, and spent more time in the shop than cutting wood! Although saying that, maybe I did ask it to do more than it was supposed to, as we had a few large trees that needed sorting when we bought the place. However, the Poulan was very finicky, and the choke linkage was always coming loose, it struggled starting when warm, it constantly drained itself of chain lube when idle……Borrowed my friends Stihl one time, it was like moving up from a Mini to a Rolls..! I dream about that chainsaw :msp_unsure:

Would love a new Stihl, which should easily even see me out to the end of my days, but we just cant afford one with everything else we have to contend with (repairs to our house following the Earthquakes that took our city down)… but more than that, its almost criminal what we get ripped off for here. A Farm Boss that costs around equivalent of $500NZ in the US, is about $1400NZ here.

Sorry, enough of my crying, but that leaves me looking for something other than a Stihl. Bearing in mind that I need something that I can get repaired (we have a Stihl agent two miles away dam it) when needed.

Thanks to all you knowledgeable sorts out there, who may be able to give me advice.:smile2:

Shipping is going to be shipping, doesn't seem to be any diff for used or new, so why not just a used rebuilt one off the classifieds here? Then you can get a stihl if that is what you want.

It's probably 2am over there, may be awhile before we get a response.

Response to all...

Hey guys, thanks for the great response, much appreciated.

To answer some of your questions,

Dsell, the 346XP costs $1550.00NZ here, which is equal $1170.00US…. same saw in USA is what $500 or less?, shipping is around $110.00 on top of course.
The 2.8 times the cost you mention, well no, but most stuff is MUCH more expensive here than in the USA (ask anyone who has moved here from your parts!!) I thought stuff was expensive living in the UK, but now we get stuff sent over from there.
Got a single gas wok burner sent over two years ago, for our kitchen. Cost over there was about £240 (around $450 NZ then), the same thing here but OLDER MODEL was $1800NZ. Some things are getting better, with the advent of “web shopping”. NZ folk are still in the dark ages I’m afraid. The older generation had no idea it seems, that they were being ripped off so badly. My wife and I wondered when we moved, why so many folk “made do” with old sh*t, including clothes, household wares, cars etc….. There are so many old looking houses that scream out for a paint job. But, when a gallon of decent paint costs around $180.00 and wages are so low… well you see my point. Bottom line, cost of living is very high, and “stuff” is generally overpriced. I would love to set up a business with someone out there, importing stuff here... chainsaws for example LOL.... but seriously, it could be a winner. As it is I already have a shipping fowarder account there. Thats how I was planning on sending a Stihl, but I got stuffed with the old "must pick up from store" policy.

Timmcat, we are not that close to Japan, around 10,000 km away.
Getting stuff from the good ‘ol USA is easier. Everything is in English, able to use credit card to purchase, can understand postal service as it is compatible with ours etc etc…. also I have always liked dealing with you guys (over China for example).. even though much of what you have may have come from there unfortunately LOL. But, that’s our lot now huh?

Mad Murdock, I would sooner get a new one, only because I know that people here tend to hang on to stuff that works, then sell when they crap out. Learned this through experience. There are exceptions, but where chainsaws are concerned, it would not be a good gamble I fear.

Rburg, that is interesting. Even so, the price would be much higher than the US I think. I would like to find out more though. Thank you.

Somesawguy, we have many brands available, especially from our larger chain stores. However, after my Poulan, I would like to go with a solid brand, and maybe a semi-pro model that will be less prone to hiccups and letdowns. I haven’t looked on ebay for the same reasons I gave Mad Murdock, and no, I never thought to look on the forum.

Zogger, Yes, shipping a new or used one is the same cost. So in a way it makes sense to get as much “saw” as possible, for example if I bought a used one costing $300 I would still have to pay around $110 shipping (dead money), but something new, maybe costing $500-$700 the shipping is the same, but the ratio of what I have landed against the dead money for shipping is greater.

Dsell, yes that time thingy can be a problem… I have to think about it when dealing with the US, unless it is a straight forward web transaction that is.

Saw Troll, I have hear a few folks say that, so thank you, I will heed the advice.

Lastly, thank you all for your advice, a great bunch of chaps. … And, I think I may go with the Husky 346XP, as I see it is on offer at $489 at present, which will save me about $800 landed!:msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
Get a hold of one of the members fro Auz

They can hook you up I know that some of them just pick up a few saw's in the last month from here (USA) :)

My choice would be MS 261 :)

Hey guys, thanks for the great response, much appreciated.

To answer some of your questions,

Dsell, the 346XP costs $1550.00NZ here, which is equal $1170.00US…. same saw in USA is what $500 or less?, shipping is around $110.00 on top of course.
The 2.8 times the cost you mention, well no, but most stuff is MUCH more expensive here than in the USA (ask anyone who has moved here from your parts!!) I thought stuff was expensive living in the UK, but now we get stuff sent over from there.
Got a single gas wok burner sent over two years ago, for our kitchen. Cost over there was about £240 (around $450 NZ then), the same thing here but OLDER MODEL was $1800NZ. Some things are getting better, with the advent of “web shopping”. NZ folk are still in the dark ages I’m afraid. The older generation had no idea it seems, that they were being ripped off so badly. My wife and I wondered when we moved, why so many folk “made do” with old ####, including clothes, household wares, cars etc….. There are so many old looking houses that scream out for a paint job. But, when a gallon of decent paint costs around $180.00 and wages are so low… well you see my point. Bottom line, cost of living is very high, and “stuff” is generally overpriced.

Timmcat, we are not that close to Japan, around 10,000 km away.
Getting stuff from the good ‘ol USA is easier. Everything is in English, able to use credit card to purchase, can understand postal service as it is compatible with ours etc etc…. also I have always liked dealing with you guys (over China for example).. even though much of what you have may have come from there unfortunately LOL. But, that’s our lot now huh?

Mad Murdock, I would sooner get a new one, only because I know that people here tend to hang on to stuff that works, then sell when they crap out. Learned this through experience. There are exceptions, but where chainsaws are concerned, it would not be a good gamble I fear.

Rburg, that is interesting. Even so, the price would be much higher than the US I think. I would like to find out more though. Thank you.

Somesawguy, we have many brands available, especially from our larger chain stores. However, after my Poulan, I would like to go with a solid brand, and maybe a semi-pro model that will be less prone to hiccups and letdowns. I haven’t looked on ebay for the same reasons I gave Mad Murdock, and no, I never thought to look on the forum.

Zogger, Yes, shipping a new or used one is the same cost. So in a way it makes sense to get as much “saw” as possible, for example if I bought a used one costing $300 I would still have to pay around $110 shipping (dead money), but something new, maybe costing $500-$700 the shipping is the same, but the ratio of what I have landed against the dead money for shipping is greater.

Dsell, yes that time thingy can be a problem… I have to think about it when dealing with the US, unless it is a straight forward web transaction that is.

Saw Troll, I have hear a few folks say that, so thank you, I will heed the advice.

Lastly, thank you all for your advice, a great bunch of chaps. … And, I think I may go with the Husky 346XP, as I see it is on offer at $489 at present, which will save me about $800 landed!:msp_thumbup:

Do you have a John Deere Dealer? maybe John deere chainsaw.

No, I would sooner not, after reading up on them on this very website. Also, they will be similarly costly here...... as anything else. Hence my preference for shopping in the USA.

The only "cheap" things we have here are wine (sometimes) and Chinese crap. That said, even the chinese crap can be bought cheaper from the USA often then not. Its all about quantity and market size. We are a country of around 4 million all told, hence our "marketplace" is a small one. ie less turnover, more profit required.....

Get a Husqvarna, pretty much any saw with an -xp at the end of the number will last you for many years. I have a whole bunch of them, and every single one has outlasted all my Stihls. That's right. All my Husqys are older than all my Stihls, and they still run better than most of them.

Ooops. Not quite true. I bought a used top-handly Husqy recently, forgot the number on it...

Well give us a list of the brands that you can buy so we can recommend a saw.

You're not getting the problem. We do have most brands here in NZ, the problem is they are too expensive here.
That is why I keep saying that my intention is to purchase from the USA. The only stuff that is cheap here is the unknown, rebadged crap from China. Like I stated in my thread earlier, for a good name here (Stihl or Husky etc) we pay about three times the price that you guys in the US do....... ie a saw costing $500 over ther costs about $1500 here.

After taking advice from the forum, I will be going with the 346XP at about $500US

Thanks.

Back