Chaisaw brand recommendations please??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a few Kiwi's on here that use saws professionally and mostly they use Huskies.
PPG's a regular, he likes his Huskies (as did Steve the Kiwi, whatever happened to him ?) and PPG hates Echo's, just ask him. (if anyone's game:D)

Makita are available too and a damned good saw, but I think servicing dealers might be similar to this side of The Tasman, hit and miss.

BTW, what are you cutting ?

If you have any Aussie Eucs on your block you'll want something bigger than a 346, it's just too small for a decent sized Euc IMO.
I have no idea regarding your hardwoods, they are totally unknown to me.

You're not getting the problem. We do have most brands here in NZ, the problem is they are too expensive here.
That is why I keep saying that my intention is to purchase from the USA. The only stuff that is cheap here is the unknown, rebadged crap from China. Like I stated in my thread earlier, for a good name here (Stihl or Husky etc) we pay about three times the price that you guys in the US do....... ie a saw costing $500 over ther costs about $1500 here.

After taking advice from the forum, I will be going with the 346XP at about $500US

Thanks.

As far as buying a used saw from the classifieds here...if you look around ask around...theres a few folks who dont sell worn out crap....in fact very few who do....I have a 346xp I bought from a guy on here who has a hobby of rebuilding chainsaws...I have an MS460 that I bought from another member on here.Both of these saws are top notch great running machines at a fraction of the price...I have a ported 064 with an 066 topend that I only have the money it cost to have ported in it.....In all of these saws Im still even or a shade under what a new 460 would cost......just a thought....Id ask/check around

As far as buying a used saw from the classifieds here...if you look around ask around...theres a few folks who dont sell worn out crap....in fact very few who do....I have a 346xp I bought from a guy on here who has a hobby of rebuilding chainsaws...I have an MS460 that I bought from another member on here.Both of these saws are top notch great running machines at a fraction of the price...I have a ported 064 with an 066 topend that I only have the money it cost to have ported in it.....In all of these saws Im still even or a shade under what a new 460 would cost......just a thought....Id ask/check around

When I said "here", I meant here in New Zealand. :msp_smile:

There's a few Kiwi's on here that use saws professionally and mostly they use Huskies.
PPG's a regular, he likes his Huskies (as did Steve the Kiwi, whatever happened to him ?) and PPG hates Echo's, just ask him. (if anyone's game:D)

Makita are available too and a damned good saw, but I think servicing dealers might be similar to this side of The Tasman, hit and miss.

BTW, what are you cutting ?

If you have any Aussie Eucs on your block you'll want something bigger than a 346, it's just too small for a decent sized Euc IMO.
I have no idea regarding your hardwoods, they are totally unknown to me.

We have some Gum, some that has been dead for years, and as hard as steel too. Also Macracarpa, beech, poplar and ol man pine.

I assume you will be cutting firewood ?.
Depends on what size wood you will find.
50cc 18'' bar eg Stihls 261
70cc 20'' or 25'' bar 440,441,460
90cc 25'' or 36'' bar 660

Yes from the US is the go.

You're not getting the problem. We do have most brands here in NZ, the problem is they are too expensive here.
That is why I keep saying that my intention is to purchase from the USA. The only stuff that is cheap here is the unknown, rebadged crap from China. Like I stated in my thread earlier, for a good name here (Stihl or Husky etc) we pay about three times the price that you guys in the US do....... ie a saw costing $500 over ther costs about $1500 here.

After taking advice from the forum, I will be going with the 346XP at about $500US

Thanks.

Congrats on your decision.

Now reading your other comments and taking into account your long term living situation there, I will recommend you get some tools and learn to work on your own equipment. Start with your poulan. Yes, it is completely possible to make that work properly and not have to take it to a dealer. There are a lot of us out here who can make those cheap saws work like they should. I just started working on saws last year, and based on what knowledge I garner off this site, and just sitting down and *doing it*, have resurrected quite a few junkers now.

This will pay you over and over again living where you are and having to always pay big bucks for stuff. Any time you can do it yourself with a repair, it will pay you.

Then you will have that poulan for a backup saw, and be able to score used busted ones locally and ..expand your fleet. I cut a LOT of wood with poulans, newer plasticy ones, and older magnesium ones, none are hard to work on that I have encountered so far. Pretty easy actually. There's just not that much to them.

You hear the same story all the time on different internet forums, either someone says they "aren't mechanical", or they don't "get" computers, that sort of thing. moreso "computers" on this site, but you know what I am saying. Just do it, just get in there, read and have at it.

Guys who can tear down an engine can "get" computers if they just try, same with people who can code and build a machine, but then need a working whatever with an engine but say they aren't "mechanical". Get the tools, do some research, have at it.

Good luck man!

To make a worthwhile comparison between the Major brands (Husky/Jonsered, Stihl and Dolmar), you need to compare specific models, not brands.

Surely there are trends with each brand, but there mostly will be exceptions as well.

I am really surprised the "chainsaw brand recommendation" has not started a big fight between the stihl boys and the husky boys(my camp). I read its hard for you to get your hands on a stihl. I think youd be happy with the husky 346 if thats the route you go. I remember years past that this "topic" would get some heated feedback at times :D Id toss in the Dolmar/makita mention. there sometimes hard to find parts for but there great saws!

I am really surprised the "chainsaw brand recommendation" has not started a big fight between the stihl boys and the husky boys(my camp). I read its hard for you to get your hands on a stihl. I think youd be happy with the husky 346 if thats the route you go. I remember years past that this "topic" would get some heated feedback at times :D Id toss in the Dolmar/makita mention. there sometimes hard to find parts for but there great saws!

Please don't! :givebeer:

If it is a lot of money I would buy a ms 440 stihl seems like they last forever, it would be worth it to me but make sure you research your model of chainsaw huskys are good but some models are not what I heard, same goes for stihl.

If it is a lot of money I would buy a ms 440 stihl seems like they last forever, it would be worth it to me but make sure you research your model of chainsaw huskys are good but some models are not what I heard, same goes for stihl.

It is like that with all the top brands - and it is much worse with the others! :biggrin:

As I said, judge by model, not by brand - but stick with Husky, Jonsered, Stihl or Dolmar.

I've recently used a few Dolmar saws my friends own. 6400 had great power even considering its weight. 5105 which I own which is a speed demon for a 50 cc saw IMO, and the 7300 which cut like a dream with superb power.

I would love to own a 7900 because its even better than the 7300, but I don't have the money for such a saw. The price with up in Canada about last year by $100 or more.

I bought 3 Huskys over the last 4 years and they're excellent. Sh!tty for me, they went down in price "some what" recently. Their actually not much more than Stihl at this point ( here) and not many people own one here because they're generally heavier than Husky.

If I were going to splurge on a saw from the states, I might go for a few more cc's. I am far from an expert though:msp_unsure: Russ

Ive never known you to not like dolmar:msp_ohmy: No I didnt mean to physically toss the saw either :smile2: and im out of beer!

I don't dislike them in general, but most of them aren't what some on here claim that they are, and the brand hasn't been able to handle the steadily "tighter" emission rules well.....

Back