chance to get a cheap older saw whats you opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spittindurt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So a buddy of mine told me about a couple old saws that are for sale
Ones a 046 a couple years old and the other is an old 288 don't believe
its an xp. Guess the 288 is 100 bucks and the 046 is 200. Just wondering
What do you guys think is a better deal. Ill just be using it for larch and red fir
Firewood. Im currently running a 346xp and a 24" bar but its just not
enough saw.

I don't have any more info on the saws yet. Just know the stihl hasn't been
rebuilt, don't know about the husky.

That is a SCREAMING good deal. If it were me I would be knocking on his door right now at 11:30 at night trying to get the saws.:msp_thumbsup:

Both

What do you guys think is a better deal. Ill just be using it for larch and red fir
enough saw.

..err, both sound like deals to me. I'd go hock something tomorrow to get the cash if I didn't have it for a running 288 for a hundred bucks, as long as it wasn't like run over by a skidder and everything smashed and a hosed p/c. short of that..go get 'em.

Buy both man, work 'em! Or keep one, swap or sell the other one, or fix it up for a spare.

enough saw.

One word, STIHL :rock:

What are you waiting for go get um both and run don't look back. If either one of um is trash there's enough parts that you can get your money back. Both are great saws and hard to beat for a work saw.

its an xp.
Guess the 288 is 100 bucks and the 046 is 200. Just wondering
enough saw.

046's were replaced by the MS460 nearly 10 years ago now, So the 046 gotta be older than a couple of years -all 288's are xp's so ya can't go wrong there.

I don't think you could go wrong either way if both saws run. I would personally buy both and resale the one I did not like, could end up with a saw for almost nothing.
Yep, Just like Roanoker said...I'd buy both and sell whichever one you didn't like for whatever reason, They're both great saws. You'd end up with a free saw!

Last edited:
Yah, jump all over that deal! :rock:

But let's take the longer view here ..... Sell one for a really nice profit and use some of the $$ to put a 20" B&C on the overmatched 346XP.

Just my $.02 .... :hmm3grin2orange:

Yah, jump all over that deal! :rock:

But let's take the longer view here ..... Sell one for a really nice profit and use some of the $$ to put a 20" B&C on the overmatched 346XP.

Just my $.02 .... :hmm3grin2orange:

Lol I actually have a 20" .325 nk bar and chain on the way from baileys for the 346. The 24" was just for slashing and limbing. I am looking really hard at getting both. Going to go look at them tonight if I can.

The 346XP spec says max bar length of 20", most guys seem to like it best at 16" or 18"...many think its lacking oomph on a 20" bar. Its a great saw, but it doesn't have the displacement for a 24" bar, I don't know if it really has the oil capacity either.

The 24" was just for slashing and limbing.

What the heck kind of limbs are you running into that you want a 24" bar anyway? This seems like backwards logic to me. Wouldn't you want a short bar on a light saw for limbing?

I could use that 24" bar on my 359 though...

Don't have to bend over with a 24" bar :msp_sneaky:

Got some more info on the saws today but wont be able to go check them out till tomorrow.

The 288 is ooolllddd (early 90's) and has been rebuilt several times 4 or 5 i guess and it sounds like he might want 150. Still think the 288 would be worth pickin up if its been worked on that much?

Pretty sure Im getting the 046 just dont know about the 288 with it being rebuilt so many times.

What the heck kind of limbs are you running into that you want a 24" bar anyway? This seems like backwards logic to me. Wouldn't you want a short bar on a light saw for limbing?
With a longer bar - you don't have to bend over as far when cutting limbs close to ground.
:cheers:
J2F

I guess I can see that. Just seems like you want the right tool for the right job and adding 4-5 lb to your rig for limbing is making the right tool into the worng one.

Back