Checking in - 026 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looks like I joined further back than I remember. I always found answers to any questions that I had through searching so I never got around to posting anything myself.

I picked up two running 026 chainsaws about a year ago and I am currently going through them. Both have the red master control lever, riveted name tag, and the wt 194 carburetor. They are not the pro version with the adjustable oilier and compensating carburetor but I understand they are still considered a pro saw. The guy I bought them from also included an 015 with an original case. I was told it runs but sounds like it needs bearings.

Between the two 026 saws one was a little worse than the other. On the worse one I found both bar studs had previously been repaired. One with a helicoil that was pulling out again, that stud was also installed backwards. The other stud repair was done by tapping the case for a 1/2" bolt that was installed and then drilled and tapped for the bar stud, that one was installed correctly but not straight. That saw also had a 3/8" bar and chain running with a .325" sprocket, not running well.

Originally I was going to go through both of them together but after finding one cylinder with the spark plug threads repaired and both pistons may need to be replaced i think I may finish the better one first and then see about the second one. The pistons don't have many horizontal lines left on the sides, I had read that they help by holding oil. I think I have everything else to finish the first one.

I'm debating stripping or blasting the paint on the case halves and re powdercoating. I have the powder and could probably paint it at work, we sandblast and powdercoating all our parts. I just have to decide if I want to pick up a blast cabinet or not, what we do at work would be too aggressive.

I don't really have much for questions right now. It's crazy how much into is here. I will mostly be using these saws for firewood and storm cleanup at home. At this point I don't mind spending a little more on them if the result is a stronger longer lasting saw.

I do have another 015 that I pulled out of a scrap metal pile a number of years ago. I rebuilt that one and converted it from 1/4" pitch to 3/8" picco.

On both of the 026 saws the exhaust has removed most of the paint and discolored the are near the exhaust outlet. This seems to be pretty common based on the pictures I have seen. Is this related to the oil used in the past? Would oil available today, such as Stihl Ultra for example, have the same results?

Latest posts

Back