chime in if you run a stock saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adirondack

Adirondack

ArboristSite Operative
The 7900 is still untouched I actually like how quite it is. .

I have the 7900. Would never think of any mod for this saw. I really like how quiet it is also. It has more than enough power for my needs. I think it would be a bit much to modify it just to run 1 less second in a piece of wood.

Austin1

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have the 7900. Would never think of any mod for this saw. I really like how quiet it is also. It has more than enough power for my needs. I think it would be a bit much to modify it just to run 1 less second in a piece of wood.
Yep it's just a joy to run it's light and smooth oh so smooth and quite. It's just zip zip through the log.
P.S ya cad sufferer's are bad for that one second thing.:hmm3grin2orange:But it is nice to eat a 361 alive for a saw that cost's $210.00 less and has a good handle on it and looks better sitting Stihl. Actually I would not want to put a stock 2171 up against my 2159 in under 20'', wood what I normally cut.

Last edited:
Gregford

Gregford

ArboristSite Operative
All mine are stock apart from....

...slight muffler mod.s to give them less back-pressure and the governor blocked off on the 2101XP. Oh yes, the baby Stihl has had the air intake slightly modified so it doesn't suck as much wood chips.

Apart from that, they're stock. I run with the theory that if the saw doesn't cut as fast as I need, it's easier to either update the saw or simply buy bigger.

My 2c:greenchainsaw:

Henry G.

Henry G.

ArboristSite Guru
Of course I don't need to mod my saws--my everyday runners are vintage Macs!!!:D

But sometimes I wonder what a "Snellerized" Super Pro 70 would do............;)

Casey
Oh no! Nobody touches my SP81 not even Brad! :greenchainsaw:
I gotta say I love my Huskies but the mac has torque like no other saw!
And muffler mod? If you open the muffler theres a screen inside-thats it. When you cut close to the ground the exhaust digs holes! It barks!

Last edited:
OhioGregg

OhioGregg

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
All mine are stock, except for slight muffler mods. And changing a saws paint color doesn't count, does it?:) Allthough, I think a newly painted saw is much faster, just like a freshly washed and waxed car seems faster! LOL

100_0255.jpg

Gregg,

B_Turner

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
All my saws are stock both because I don't like noise and also I mostly am doing urban cutting.

I run very sharp chain that makes my saws cut as fast as the muffler mods I've compared to.

BC 5100S

BC 5100S

ArboristSite Lurker
My saw is still stock but the warranty is up now so I am considering doing a muffler mod.

No complaints with the saw so far without mods. I thought I had a problem with power being down, but it turned out I had just done a really bad job of sharpening the chain. A proper filing and I am back to being happy!

andrew346

andrew346

ArboristSite Operative
All saws in my signature are stock unless you count my attempt at creating a PNW MS440 in Northern ireland! (Although, the wrap handle, large dawgs and DP muffler are stihl parts so i reckon this is still a stocker...)

bruce6670

bruce6670

ArboristSite Operative
All stock.I don't feel the need to modify something that works so well already.
Unless you know what your doing,you could really mess up your saw.
I would mod the muffler,but that is about it.

346xp
272xp
372xp
2094 jonsered

plus a few more:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts