Chimney hat or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swyman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any pros or cons to putting a lid on the chimney? I have a CB 6048 with standard 2 sections of pipe. THinking about adding a third to try and gain more draft or would I benefit more with a door draft inducer?

A cap can reduce draft in some situations and if you already have draft problems and burn pretty much 24/7 keeping the chimney hat off is a good idea. Otherwise I like having it so water doesn't get down my liner especially during more temperate weather where I'm not burning 24/7.

Cap

If I leave my chimmney cap on the mouth of the chimmney pipe will clog over with a creosote cover and I find myself removing the cap at 3am....It seems to happen when it is a rain snow mixture.....But if I leave my cap off.......I do not have a problem....This happened before I replaced my catalytic so i will try it again and give updates..I just don't want to be out there at 3 am in the sleet on my roof

I have the Central Boiler raincap on my 5036. Does the job of keepng rain out and I don't have to climb up there and put a bucket on the pipe in the off season. Also helps to keep the rare spark or ember contained. The downside of it is that is will drip creosote juice on to the boiler roof, and I have yet to find a way to easily clean that off. Looks no worse than the smoke stain on the front above the door.

Chimney Cap

I took my cap off because it was dripping WAY TOO much creosote onto the roof of the OWB. Major mess and major pain to un-clog, not worth the hassel.

I'm glad this was brought up, I noticed that my cap is dripping that acidic water on my roof and is eating away at the galvanized flashing around the pipe. I am sure it is doing this because I typically run the stove cooler than I should or else it will heat me out of the house. When I cleaned the stove this weekend I had a trail of that water running down the roof, so I thought of just taking off the cap since I burn 24-7. I thought that the wood may have had to much moisture in it but the ends of the wood are all cracked up.
Any input on this would be appreciated.

I clean creosote off mine 1 or 2 times a year before its a problem. Most of my doublewall pipe is inside the chimney that has cracks . bout 2 foot sticks out and that is where most the creosote accumulates I assume because that section is exposed to the cool air. 1 or 2 cleanings a year has been more then enough. I had the top off a couple weeks and couldn't tell much differance other then rain gets in if the stove isn't going.

Not sure about a cap on your boiler chimney but it's a must for masonry chimneys with wood stoves. Saves allot of problems down the road caused by rain and snow.

I put a cap and two foot extension on my Woodmaster 3300 about two weeks ago that I bought from WM. Have seen no negatives so far. A bit pricey ($170.00 for both including SH). Burning maple and oak that has been seasoned over a year and a half tho.

I am glad this thread was started. How about anyone who has the cap on without an extension? Maybe with the additional heat of being close to the stove there wont be much creosote? Probably would still be messy though. I have been toying with the idea of this but I would like some first hand experiences first

Installed 4' pipe & chimney cap this year on NCB 175 before starting. Thought cap would be a good safety precaution just in case of sparks. No problems so far.

I just added six feet to my chimney because I had to put it through the roof of my wood shed. I was just looking the other day and my stainless extension and cap are already brownish/black I haven't even been burning for two weeks. I hope I don't have to crawl up there mid winter and unplug the chimney cap. If so it's coming off. I've been burning dry wood. Hickory, oak, and walnut.
chimney.jpg

If I leave my chimmney cap on the mouth of the chimmney pipe will clog over with a creosote cover and I find myself removing the cap at 3am...

burn only dry seasoned wood and you will not get any creosote

JCappe, your's looks just like mine. I checked mine after noticing discolor. I found just a dusty like soot. Also noted heat bluing on it. That tells me still burning hot all the way to the cap. My wife would get scared when she would see a red glow coming out the stack about two feet high last season. So that's why I purchased the ext. and cap. Funny thing is I still get the red glow around the cap just two feet higher, but cap does control the sparks.

My CB dealer advises against a cap. I have a 5036 with standard 2 sections, natural draft and have no problems. Any rain or snow moisture is quickly dried. The cap can hider your natural draft as well. Why spend the money if you don't need to. You can buy dice valve covers for your tires but they don't do much either!

Back