Chimney Stinks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danrclem

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Early and late in the burning seasons I let my stove go out on warm days or just build one fire to take the chill out of the house. When the temp outside is warmer than my basement (where my woodstove is located) I get a down draft. This down draft pulls the smell down into my basement and can sometimes get pretty rank.

Do any of you guys have this problem and what do you do about it?

Keep the damper closed, and burn a few 12 pack boxes before you start your fire to warm up the flue. I mean when you have no fire, open it when you burn some boxes.

Last edited:
I usually don't have any problems when lighting the fire it's just when the stove isn't being used. It gives off a really bad smell when the outside temp exceed the basement temp.

I went back and reread my OP and I guess I didn't give enough information.

Last edited:
I don't know what to tell you, when I close my damper and close the vents on the wood furnace I don't see how any smell or air can get in? Are your stove doors sealed good?

Hello,
I have the same problem....even though it's an airtight stove, the stink can still seep out !!!! I hate it !!!

Basso

Check the clean-out door on your chimney. Rain water will wash loose creosote down the chimney and it pools in the bottom of the chimney causing a rank, damp foul smelling odor. Clean that mess out and install a rain cap on top. Hope this helps. Ken

I usually don't have any problems when lighting the fire it's just when the stove isn't being used. It gives off a really bad smell when the outside temp exceed the basement temp.

I went back and reread my OP and I guess I didn't give enough information.

you were clear enough.

strange situation, since warm air is lighter than cold air, unless something is drawing the air back into the flue.

is it high enough above any roof ridge? could be wind is pushing back down(?)

Hello,
I have the same problem....even though it's an airtight stove, the stink can still seep out !!!! I hate it !!!

Basso

Our epa woodstove has a small thumb hole sized vent in the bottom back area under the stove. I plug it with a piece of paper towel when the stove is not in use. Here is some more info on the odor.
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hosmell.htm

I'm using an old Fisher woodstove so I'm sure it's not 100% airtight.

The chimney doesn't have a cleanout door on the bottom but I've thought about putting one on it.

The chimney has been cleaned recently so there shouldn't be that much creosote in it.

I take the stovepipe off and plug the chimney during the off season.

I don't think that for the most part that wind is pushing the air back down but the chimney could be too short and maybe that is creating a downdraft. I think this may be the main problem but I'm not sure. I think I'll try to add some height to my chimney and see if that works.

I didn't know if this was a common problem or not so if anybody has any more ideas keep them coming. The chimney height is probably the main culprit but it could be a combination of things. My chimney is masonary and I've also been considering taking it down and putting a metal chimney up.

Your roof vents can create a vacuum that is higher than that created by your cold chimney. Whatever is creating the vacuum can pull bits of smelly air out of the chimney through joints in chimney pipe etc. After you have been firing it hard for a while the chimney and stove really dries out and its breath is not so smelly. If you have a window you can crack open a bit, it might create an alternate path and really make no net difference in heat loss. I have the same problem at that time of year.

I was firing up the wood furnace two weeks ago with paper and kindling and small pieces of wood at the same time as when my forced draft gas water heater turned on. Because the chimney was still cold and had no draft, the forced draft water heater was actually pulling smoke out of the wood stove and the joints of the stove pipe. It got pretty smoky in the basement until the chimney warmed enough to draw.
If you have an air tight house and this type of water heater it could be pulling odors out of your stove and chimney.
If you don't have a clean-out door on your chimney, how are you cleaning it?
If you are just knocking that stuff to the bottom and leaving it there, you are leaving a big pile of fuel for an eventual chimney fire.

First off check out **********. Just about everything you would ever want to know o find out about heating with wood or coal or pellets in there. Masonry chimneys don't draft as well as metal ones so a switch to metal might help. Height too is a factor. I have a 35' metal chimney and draft is never an issue.

I'm using an old Fisher woodstove so I'm sure it's not 100% airtight.

The chimney doesn't have a cleanout door on the bottom but I've thought about putting one on it.

The chimney has been cleaned recently so there shouldn't be that much creosote in it.

I take the stovepipe off and plug the chimney during the off season.

I don't think that for the most part that wind is pushing the air back down but the chimney could be too short and maybe that is creating a downdraft. I think this may be the main problem but I'm not sure. I think I'll try to add some height to my chimney and see if that works.

I didn't know if this was a common problem or not so if anybody has any more ideas keep them coming. The chimney height is probably the main culprit but it could be a combination of things. My chimney is masonary and I've also been considering taking it down and putting a metal chimney up.

is your current chimney on the outside wall or on the inside of the house?

a chimney on an outside wall is always colder and is more prone to back drafts. whereas an inside chimney is always warm and usually doesn't have those problems.

instead of removing it, why not line it instead? that way you can insulate around the liner pipe as you install it.

I have the same downdraft issue that you describe. My chimney is 2ft shorter than is recommended. The only time I have an issue is lighting a fire when the basement is colder than outside and the air is heavy though. When my stove is not in use I leave the damper shut.

I guess I wouldn't call my stove airtight, but maybe it's better than your's. Can you narrow down where air leaks into your stove and seal it up a little?

My chimney is on the northern outside wall. I'd say that's probably the worst place that it could be.

that might be your problem. the chimney is getting cold and allowing colder air to sink back into the house. (cold air is heavier) so, the height of it probably isn't an issue or even the cause of your problem.

Before I relined the chimney and put in an insert I used to notice this, it seemed to me to be related more to higher humidity than temperature though.

Before I relined the chimney and put in an insert I used to notice this, it seemed to me to be related more to higher humidity than temperature though.

It does seem to get worse when it's raining. The porosity of a block chimney could be a factor too.

Back