"china doll" AM ms440 results--

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the bad thing about doing these is when you build one-- you decide it needs a brother--LOL!

my MS440 is running so well-- that i have started ordering parts for a 372XP build!!

I am thinking that it would depend upon ebay prices or if you find used oem parts on eBay but what could you build a 361 or 660 for using AM parts? Range?

I should add, I see quite a few AM parts on eBay but I am not well versed enough to know everything that I would need.

I should add, I see quite a few AM parts on eBay but I am not well versed enough to know everything that I would need.

Just an observation: If you start with a basically complete saw with a fried engine you are way ahead. The plastic parts can run the expense way up. So, don't start out with one a tree dropped on.

I am thinking that it would depend upon ebay prices or if you find used oem parts on eBay but what could you build a 361 or 660 for using AM parts? Range?

Basic carcass from the pile, 20 bux
Replacement engine, Farmertec 49mm bore, 87 bux.
Rim drive clutch/sprocket, 3/8x7, 15 bux. (3/8x7 spur/drum from Stihl dealer, 15 bux)
New chain catcher, 2 bux.
Fuel and impulse line from Stihl dealer, 16 bux.
Nylon chain bumpers, (4), 4 bux.
Clutch cover from China, 10 bux.
Air filter cover from Stihl dealer, 23 bux.
Oil pump drive spring, buck and a half.
New pull rope, mineral spirits, engine degreaser, etc., another 10 bux.

Each project will vary according to previous abuse. And, if you have a serviceable bar/chain with the carcass. (20" Forester b/c, 35 bux)

Total 188.50
This carcass came with bar/chain in serviceable condition

All in all I figure I can clear $2/hr. LOL

Entertain the geezer........priceless

started buying stuff for the 372XP china project .

gosh there are lots of "little" parts in that one-- not as "straight forward" to build like the 044s-- lots of carb stuff--

i figure it will take me a year to round up all the little bits --- i ain't in no hurry anyway-- got a shop full of saws i can run in the meantime.

the 372XP--just bought all the plastic stuff for it-- i don't think i could clean up old plastic for what the tank and covers went for .

yea this is addictive though--someone should have warned me!!--LOL

you just wait till i get my "china doll"/372XP going!--

that could be a while with a two week wait for this and that-- all them two weeks here and there add up!

my XP project is going to have all new plastics , covers, tank , everything-- i think they all cost me like $47 shipped--- new crankcase $38-- if it is good as that one i got for the ms440 it will really be something. that $65 i put on that ms440 crankase was $$ well spent.

and they got all the chain brake parts in a kit for the 372-- very nice--

the only problems with building a 044/ms440 is a new tank is pricy and the plastic is all OEM --like new air box is like $55

my guess is you could build a 066 pretty reasonable if you DIY-- they got plastic kits for like $55 with tank and all like the XP and short blocks for like $147 -- i bet if you shopped around you could do a china doll 66 for around $300+ give or take.

i thought about doing a "066" but i can't figure out what i need such a big sawmill for??--

I've thought about building something completely from china parts. I already have an 044 so thinking 660. Like others said I have no need for that size...maybe a 361.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back