"china doll" AM ms440 results--

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may want to read up on the 660. There have been some problems with some of the top ends.
Just thought I might save you a few pennies.

Yeah I need to do more research for sure. I thought about a meteor top end I know the quality would be there. I should just look for a parts saw on ebay and go that way but for some reason I want to do the chinese build lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

you might want to look in on the huskys for a china doll build-- -- they have lots of stuff of for them at reasonable $$-- just bought a tank with the covers and a air filter $47

the crankcase with cylinder go for $100 or so

one guy even sells a semi-complete 372 for about $225 shipped . other parts are as cheap as the imports for the stihl , just be aware the huskys are more complex than a stihl. lots of little parts for air dams, carb holders and so on--

when set up proper they are good saws with gobs of power.

now if i could have got the plastic parts as easy as this i might have built another 044 --but the tanks and covers are getting hard to find and pricy for the 440s= a new tank is like $125 stripped! covers new are like $55 -- you can get $200 into new plastic for a 440 pretty quick.

by comparison the AM husky plastic is dirt cheap-

now if i had to do a all china stihl other than a 440 -- maybe a 52mm 038? they were good but heavy saws IIRC but nothing like a 660--

Thats some good information ty. Any chance you will have a video of this saw cutting?

I thought about a 372 but like you stated alot of little bits. I wouldn't know of all the pieces I needed unless I had a list lol. I've never built a saw so I thought about Stihl since it seems more simple.

Maybe a 460? Have to see what AM stuff is available.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

the 460 is a great saw as well . it would be a lot like doing s 440 up with AM parts. your probably going to have to use OEM tank , covers and so on.

the good news is i think more OEM covers and the like are around for the 460.

i don't know if there is a AM crankshaft for a 460?? it would be a real straight forward build --just like the 440 just a little bigger. everything else you can get flywheels, coils, carbs and quite a bit of stuff interchanges with the 440 so AM 440 stuff can be used in some places. i don't think i have seen a 460 shortblock on evil-bay yet --but honestly i haven't looked--

i have worked on the top end on my 372xp some so i ain't completely lost on building one out of parts--but i don't want to strip the one i got to finish the build or to see how it fits. i am mostly a stihl guy -- though i do have a 372xp and recently bought a echo timberwolf.

if i get a unresolved problem i just look the parts up on the internet --most places have a schematic that shows how things fit if i get "lost".

i probably should buy the OEM shop manual for the 372xp -- the DVD version is like $10 on flea-bay--

i suppose it depends on how much work you want to do -- a 372 is a bit cheaper to build , the downside is it is more time consuming than a 460/440

i just want a 372xp china doll to go with my ms440 china doll-- and i want to see if it runs like this 440--

Latest posts

Back