Chipper chips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joekidd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I have a couple trees on my property that I want to remove. I'm going to rent a chipper and wanted to know where you guys take your waste to?? Does the municipal take wood chips or do you pay someone to take them? I might even burn the branches if I have no other easier option. Any tips?

The other thing to realize is that your stump chips will be full of dirt. We sifted ours before getting folks to take them as mulch. If you haul them as is, it will affect who might take them, and you will need to replace the dirt.

Philbert

I think he's chipping, not grinding. A Craigslist ad will usually find someone willing to sacrifice a Saturday hauling them off to save a couple hundred bucks at a landscape supply store. Failing that, most landfills have provisions for green waste.

If you don't have a use for them on your property, you will probably find out that once you've rented and picked up the machine, figured out how to use it, realized you stacked your brush all wrong, finally got the machine cleaned, fueled and returned, answered 10 replies to your ad that never showed, and finally hauled the chips to the landfill yourself...
That the bid you got for chipping and hauloff by Joe's tree service was pretty darn reasonable. Ive never seen a homeowner beat a bid doing it himself.

Good point: I read 'chipping' and processed it as 'stump grinding'.

I burn pretty much everything over 3/4 of an inch in my wood stove. Referred to as 'kindling' or 'Zogger wood' on this site, but I have seen local tree services chip up to 18" diameter.

Locally, we can haul residential wood to a county composting site as limbs; they bring in a big tub grinder periodically, and it is burned for steam generation. But they don't accept wood from commercial arborists, and I don't think that they accept chips.

Contact your local government and ask about recycling, composting, and green waste programs.

Philbert

I'm sure a quick call to the Pittsburgh dog musher society or reindeer ranching association will solve your problem in a jiffy.

He's never been the same since Alaska legalized pot.

I have no idea where he lives. I just mentioned OUR customers to give him ideas.

No marijuanna use here, my lungs are in bad shape without inhaling smoke. (Almost died this past spring from a bad lung infection, was in ICU for a week)

We don't have chips normally, but have large sawdust (harvester chain) and planer chips. Have considered buy g a chipper for all the "junk", but I haven't been able to justify 75-125k for a used on just yet.

Anyhow, it's bagged in Supersacks and we get $50. Next bag is $40 if they bring the empty bag back.

Are you wood burner stove owners not allowed to burn chips? a shovel full of Damp chips on the last thing at night on top of the logs will keep our fire "idling" nicely over night next morning open vent more wood & away we go last winter our stove stayed in 24/7 from mid Nov to beginning of March just clearing the ash as required If you can choose your wood you can get away without the mid winter chimney pipe sweep.

I've tried burning it in the shop stove, it doesn't burn that we'll and ends up filling the stove quicker. Granted I was shoveling a wheelbarrow load at a time in it.

I've tried burning it in the shop stove, it doesn't burn that we'll and ends up filling the stove quicker. Granted I was shoveling a wheelbarrow load at a time in it.
There are some YouTube videos and were some whole threads on this. There are methods for compressing sawdust into burning logs, but it it a whole endeavor. Also, some wood pellet stoves that might be adapted to work with chips of a certain size.

I have rolled some chips and sawdust up in a sheet or two of newspaper to make 'starter' (kindling) logs, just out of curiosity. But pretty much burn the larger (3/4" or larger) sticks and mulch or compost the sawdust. But I don't generate anywhere near the volumes that you do! I guess that an average guy could just blow it back into the woods (if he has woods). Sounds like the OP is in the city, like me.

Philbert

The OP said he was removing a tree. I'm wondering why he is choosing to chip the branches rather than leave them in pieces. That's usually the way we small-timers and firewooders do it. No need to rent a chipper and shovel the chips from our pickup (although I have a dump truck).

The OP said he was removing a tree. I'm wondering why he is choosing to chip the branches rather than leave them in pieces. That's usually the way we small-timers and firewooders do it. No need to rent a chipper and shovel the chips from our pickup (although I have a dump truck).

Remove / cut down. Guess I should be specific. I'm cutting down 2 decent sized trees on my property and I have no use for all the smaller limb pieces so I figured I'd shred them. I don't want a ton of branch pieces laying around on my property! My cousin is going to take the bigger stuff for his wood burner. Actually I'm gonna burn them now after some conversation. Thanks tho

Back