city crew removing trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blades

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
per title, as they are going to be redoing road in front of shop so asked nicely about getting the trunks. Got a rabid no as a response, guess guy must have got up on wrong side this morning. Was going to offer to sharpen chains for them as that is what he was doing but after the flip off I just scooted. Could have been a couple cords worth of medium Maples 8-10" trunks. They are just stuffing the whole shebang in a chipper. This right out my at the edge of the parking lot. Kind of ticks ya off, what a waste. I suppose it is more efficient for them just to stuff them which is fine but didn't need to be so blasted rude. This was at 7:30 am they were just starting.
Just to make the morning complete, had whole tread seperate off the casing on one of my trucks, trashed the 1/4 panel. Not retreads, Firestone, 265R7516E . Either Murphy is working over time or Friday the 13th got extended.

Attachments

• Truck blown tire 002.jpg
    Truck blown tire 002.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 202
  • Truck blown tire 006.jpg
    Truck blown tire 006.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 213
  • Truck blown tire 004.jpg
    Truck blown tire 004.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 188
Could be ins. wise. We are talking about 30 yards to drop it out of the grapple at the back of the parking lot. No way they can put whole tree into chipper with out limbing. Looks to be a 15" chipper I will get a pic shortly but it will kind of distant as I don't want to incurr any more rathe this morning.

Maybe he is a Warmista and is incensed at the thought of you adding to your carbon foot print by burning this wood.

Could be any number of reasons, maybe he sells the chips. maybe he got burned several times in the past when some guy claimed he would cut up and haul off the trunks, only to get a call later from whomever hired him to go back and finish cleaning up the mess. I mean, who knows...

maybe he got burned several times in the past when some guy claimed he would cut up and haul off the trunks, only to get a call later from whomever hired him to go back and finish cleaning up the mess.

That is the most often cited reason I hear from businesses local to me. Naturally I was just mouthing off in post #5.

pic of chipper Vemeer 2300

Nice, that's a 20 inch chipper and it will eat a 15 inch tree without limbing it up. I think that is 500 hp or so.....

That's why they don't want to give you the trunk, they would have to cut all the limbs off and feed one at a time.

Might be getting paid for chips by the ton, also

Just sayin.......

They are cool to watch, usually a grapple is mounted right on the chipper so you can feed heavy pieces.

We've had guys show up with chain saws asking if they could help buck logs and keep what they bucked.....we kindly say 'no way GTFO" if you cut your leg off with that there Wild Thing we're screwed.

I do understand all that. Also it was a private concern didn't know that unit later in the day.So that makes it a contract job, and likely no wiggle room due to contractual provisions. I was just ticked by the attitude. I run my own business for some 40 + years and there are days when I more than likely pissed someone off the same way. I saw them feed a tree into that chipper butt first - gone in about 3 minutes, Yikes! As I said its not been a particularly nice month mechanically for machinery and that tends to make me a bit sensitive. What ever happened to parts that are less than 3 digits before the decimal point?

Ran into that in the steering column shifter assembly, couple of plastic bushings that wear out. not available individually only the assembly at $60 from the parts house & of course double that at the dealer. Couple hour job to pull & replace assembly. They are just split spacer rings that are extruded for a few cents. You can just snap them in and out without removing the assembly. Glad I looked at the replacement part prior to pulling the old one out saved a lot of headaches. I wonder how many times that has been done at the stealerships and then charged full tilt.

when we can we'll let you have it no probs when we can not we'll say sos no can do, a lot depend on circumstance location the task

Giving away city wood can be helpful quit pro quo but sometime it creates issues, I seen cars danger double parked on high speed hwy s and two women punch on about logs left as both thought each had dibs on them. Then there's the take the good logs leave to bad wood and we have go back or been told we abused a bloke even thou we did not but he knew he could sling bulltwang mud and we loose our jobs without fair any judgement,,,, it not always easy being city crew.

99% of public a cool 1% are flippin twit's but still wreck easy opportunity for all

Or maybe this fellow just thinks he's part of "government" and doesn't answer to you nor does he have to accommodate you. When I was doing ironwork I've seem so much new stuff that not even touched dispatched to the dumpster because the superintendent said so. Others I've worked with would ask me to take stuff, but then on occasions you that one that just has to act like an ass.

Or maybe this fellow just thinks he's part of "government" and doesn't answer to you nor does he have to accommodate you. When I was doing ironwork I've seem so much new stuff that not even touched dispatched to the dumpster because the superintendent said so. Others I've worked with would ask me to take stuff, but then on occasions you that one that just has to act like an ass.

That example comes about because some of the I Promise I'll Clean It Up And Won't Block The Road (and they don't and do), or people arguing about it, or complaining to the gubmint worker's boss that they weren't "fair" and numerous other childish complaints, or maybe even the law? cause problems and so the easy way and "fair" way is to roll the chunks over the side of the road and down the hill.

As a former gummint worker, I can say the firewood cutters as a whole have the most whiney people amongst their cohort. One guy was even going to have me fired because I shooed him out of a no-cut area. I could have given him a ticket and a fine or a court visit. Another was mad because I wouldn't mark a blowdown off the road (illegal) for him to cut. There were two hemlocks blocking the road, which were legal but he was a wood snob and refused to take the, so I cut the road open, where woodcutters probably muttered about wrong lengths cut (if they lowered themselves to take hemlock).

You can't please everybody. But they all expect you to do so. Retirement is good.

That's too bad about the lost scrounge and the tire. Not sure what the guy's problem is but I guess some people were never taught any manners. Even if he can't allow firewood scrounging there is no need to be a db.

Latest posts

Back