Climber Interviews, OMG!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey what about green card?

In the good old day's, yeah, but in this economy, if you can hire, you go for what you want. I remember when good tree guys were in demand. I did real good in those days. I got 8 climbers and anyone of them could go out on his own. Maybe someday they will, but for now, they get 40 hours a week.
Jeff :)

I
Just another reminder: if they can't get/keep a drivers license, they probably can't keep a job, either.

An eighteen year old might not have one because he never has had a need for one, but certainly by the twenties, people in the service industry, regardless of trade, should have one.

I worked on a three man crew, was the only one who had a drivers' license. "Dumb" had lost his for being a deadbeat Dad (ie not keeping up child support payments) and "Dumber" being the bohemian climber he was had let his lapse (his story, and he was sticking to it). So I ended up doing all the driving for the same amount of money as "Dumb", about two hours plus a day worth while he and "Dumber" smoked dope and slept en route to the next job. &^%$#@!

I often wonder what those two are doing ten years later. "Dumb" was a clean(at least from coke) ex cocaine addict, with a third child on the way from a third girlfriend (I told time to get his nuts clipped, that way he could rut all he wanted), still living with his parents or sister, depending on who had kicked him out. "Dumber" only climbed for cash while collecting welfare payments at the same time, plus had a 17 year old live in girlfriend less than half his age who had a trust fund annuity of some kind.

Last edited:
An eighteen year old might not have one because he never has had a need for one, but certainly by the twenties, people in the service industry, regardless of trade, should have one.

I worked on a three man crew, was the only one who had a drivers' license. "Dumb" had lost his for being a deadbeat Dad (ie not keeping up child support payments) and "Dumber" being the bohemian climber he was had let his lapse (his story, and he was sticking to it). So I ended up doing all the driving for the same amount of money as "Dumb", about two hours plus a day worth while he and "Dumber" smoked dope and slept en route to the next job. &^%$#@!

I often wonder what those two are doing ten years later. "Dumb" was a clean(at least from coke) ex cocaine addict, with a third child on the way from a third girlfriend (I told time to get his nuts clipped, that way he could rut all he wanted), still living with his parents and sister, depending on who had kicked him out. "Dumber" only climbed for cash while collecting welfare payments at the same time, plus had a 17 year old live in girlfriend less than half his age who had a trust fund annuity of some kind.

You just made me depressed.
Jeff :(

I haven't had a licence for probably more than ten years now.. I try not to let it slow me down too much. So there, you can all have some fun with that one! :cheers:

And I have the license and no car right now! Around here just about everyone wants photo ID for job admin purposes, and the only one most have is a driver's license.

I can take your comment two ways!

And I have the license and no car right now! Around here just about everyone wants photo ID for job admin purposes, and the only one most have is a driver's license.

I can take your comment two ways!

I just hate to hear you guys put down a person about a stupid technicality is all.. a man is still a man with or without a license.

I have four trucks, a chipper, a trailer and a tractor.. oh wait , five trucks (forgot about the project one I haven't finished yet). Not bragging, just saying.

I just hate to hear you guys put down a person about a stupid technicality is all.. a man is still a man with or without a license.

I have four trucks, a chipper, a trailer and a tractor.. oh wait , five trucks (forgot about the project one I haven't finished yet). Not bragging, just saying.

I find it funny when the newbs who are working for someone else try to laugh at someone who OWNS their own tree service. :hmm3grin2orange:

If he has made the money to buy all of his equipment, truck and chipper without a license... Then what is your excuse...

Sometimes I wonder what planet some of these folks are from... I mean really, the problem of finding a decent climber with a drivers license is pretty common from my experience.

I find it funny when the newbs who are working for someone else try to laugh at someone who OWNS their own tree service. :hmm3grin2orange:

If he has made the money to buy all of his equipment, truck and chipper without a license... Then what is your excuse...

Sometimes I wonder what planet some of these folks are from... I mean really, the problem of finding a decent climber with a drivers license is pretty common from my experience.

See.. now you are getting somewhere pretty damn close to my way of thinking. At first I was a little worried about those grinning oranges back there. :cheers:

That was actually in reference to Rope's post to Jeff.

It is pretty common in all of the trades for a lot of experienced guys to have license troubles. Before I did tree work I did concrete and it was the same deal. Hell, the only reason they gave a 19 year old kid a job was so I could drive the crew back and forth to work.

Just a pretty common issue is all I'm saying.

That was actually in reference to Rope's post to Jeff.

It is pretty common in all of the trades for a lot of experienced guys to have license troubles. Before I did tree work I did concrete and it was the same deal. Hell, the only reason they gave a 19 year old kid a job was so I could drive the crew back and forth to work.

Just a pretty common issue is all I'm saying.

Why do you think I'm putting together the most gigantor under cdl chip truck that you can possibly put on the road! Its called workie time boys! Lol.

Ahhhhhh its nice to have an A license:poke:

Easy there pard.. :)

Last time I worked for someone else, it was as a sub.. probably the fanciest tree service around. They needed a six wheel drive bucket and operator. I got a grand a day on that job. The cdl driver picked me and the bucket up at the shop. It takes all kind in this biz.

Back