Climber was stealing from me.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't see the info if it was posted, but how much money are we talking about here anyway?

Way back in his original post:

So far he has stole $1300 that I have found out about. I have been trying to get ahold of all the customers i billed and let them know whats going on.

With that and all he's added to his story since I'm beginning to doubt that the police will even want to bother and an attorney is just going to suck more money from you. Quit while you are ahead, cut your losses and learn from this. Make changes to the way you collect your money- and don't hire crackheads.

I spoke with the police today, and he said I do have a case, I need to go to the district justice office monday and file paperwork. He said it doesnt matter that I was paying him as a sub or not, the fact is he still stole the money. Have to stop in at the DJ mondays and see what happens. I am trying to hire a good climber / ground guy to replace my existing lazy a** employee, but it is extremely hard to find someone thats not a crack head. I keep getting people that want me to teach them how to climb.

I am trying to hire a good climber / ground guy but it is extremely hard to find someone thats not a crack head. I keep getting people that want me to teach them how to climb.

me too.
I have found it to be one of the most challenging things in this business..

I spoke with the police today, and he said I do have a case, I need to go to the district justice office monday and file paperwork. He said it doesnt matter that I was paying him as a sub or not, the fact is he still stole the money. Have to stop in at the DJ mondays and see what happens. I am trying to hire a good climber / ground guy to replace my existing lazy a** employee, but it is extremely hard to find someone thats not a crack head. I keep getting people that want me to teach them how to climb.

Its not being a "Sub" that matters............its the fact that its your word against his & with no contract you are screwed, if you have a case????? & you dont!!! cause... WTF it was theft!!! so you say,..........then why didnt the police have you file charges & why is he not yet arrested?, going to the Dist Justice is for civil matters, Not a theft issue!! I say this story is BS!!!

Let me guess........the magistrate is gonna determine weather he stole the money or not based on what?? you gonna summon the HO & have them testify that they gave money to a man & woman.......who prolly wont fit the description of your climber anyway!!

There is no proof........its a he said she said & I would like the district court ID# after you post that you won this cause I wanna check the public record on this one!!! According to your story.........he didnt steal anything! & if the home owner freely gave him the "cash" without invoice..............its not technically theft, it would be misrepresentation & good luck with that!!

LXT....................

Actually I am a former officer & this thread prompted me to take at look at the crimes code, specifically section: 3922 "theft by deception" now that section may have changed due to updates but the version I have this is where it is found.

there are grades of theft ranging from felony to summary, however........no one stole from you!! do you get it? read the definition of theft, no act of theft took place against you, the act took place against the home owner..........Now they would have to prove that they were deceived in such a way that the act would be considered theft........were they tricked? if so then its a felony "trickery device" but the home owners would need to go & file the charges

Bottom line is you have no action cause no crime was commited against you...........! God, no wonder you have no clue about subs, insurance or business dealings..........when you file your complaint I hope you know what section of the crime code to cite! you will no doubt end up losing more money...........$1300.00 unfortunately is a misdemeanor if you can prove anything??? worse case he tells you to suck it & does 3 days @ county.............time served, case over & your tax dollars just fed him & gave em a warm place to sleep......!

LXT...................

Idk maybe your right maybe not. I can only go by what the loca officer told me. Mabe he is wrong idk. Its just like when you ask 5 donut eaters about dot laws and you get five different answers. I have learned alot about the sub thing and insurance. Those are 2 things I don't know about but I don't needjust to to keep calling me a liar. I am just relaying what I am told. Believe it or not but I am tired of hearing you say the samething over and over. What happen to you being a cop, couldn't you cut it? I am sure if we looked at your business dealings there is some stuff that's not all on the legal. Shouldn't throw stones when you live in a glass house!

Hey how come there are so many roadside trees around Lancaster that have been topped? It's sheer madness!
Obviously the ISA/TCIA have failed to get the proper message across! Perhaps too preoccupied with certification schemes.
The next time I go down to the Shady Maple fine dining emporium I don't wanna see no more decapitated trees.

Hell, I had some lady write me two checks that totaled over $1000 and both bounced. NSF. She wouldn't answer my calls then I find she moved. I went to the police. Where I am it's a class B misdemeanor if someone does not make good on a NSF check within 10 days. The detective knew where she went and I wasn't the only one she screwed but they refused to press charges. He told me that the DA's office doesn't have enough people or time for little stuff like that. He said I should file a civil complaint but even with a judgement it's up to you to find her money and I doubt she has any.

Idk maybe your right maybe not. I can only go by what the loca officer told me. Mabe he is wrong idk. Its just like when you ask 5 donut eaters about dot laws and you get five different answers. I have learned alot about the sub thing and insurance. Those are 2 things I don't know about but I don't needjust to to keep calling me a liar. I am just relaying what I am told. Believe it or not but I am tired of hearing you say the samething over and over. What happen to you being a cop, couldn't you cut it? I am sure if we looked at your business dealings there is some stuff that's not all on the legal. Shouldn't throw stones when you live in a glass house!

I know what you`re saying & hopefully the police/Magistrate can help or atleast put on a good legal dog & pony show to make the perp think something is gonna happen!

Not calling ya a liar...........just saying this story seems like it should be a fiction novel, when I was a cop you had to work several different Twp`s after you got your MPT#, I did this part time in the eve after working in the trees all day, @ that time there were no full time positions & the pay sucked, no benefits, vacation & on call for every day the full timers wanted off..............So I decided to take the path of Trees & thats where I am now.

Yes when starting out not everything was done by the book................however, this is why many of us know what the outcome will be..........been there done that, we learned....! went above board & protected ourselves with legal BS.

as far as throwing stones & glass houses...........I can only say good luck to you, you are about to learn a lesson & you wont like it, none of us did when it happened to us............but, you think you know & what you`re told makes you think you know but in reality.........................you dont have a ####ing clue!!!

LXT.................

Dont waste your energy just keep on working, never talk to him again, snitches get stitches
if you ever see him smash him in the face
your lucky he didnt start his own biz legit and hurt you in the wallet even worse, this biz is just as cutthroat as any
this here is the best advice so far

Last edited:
Lxt you should stop I assuming because it makes you look like a a**. I made a mistake in assuming he had insurance, and also in thinking he could be classified as a sub because he supplied his on gear. As far as the sub thing goes, i have a friend that works for a drywaller and all the guys that work for him are subs. They suppl y there own gear but work on the jobs he tells them to do during the times he tells them to be there. Idk how he gets away with it but he has for 30 years. It was not nor ever ws a cash job. I talked to the ho today and she asked me if he gave me the money. I told her no. She then mentioned to me that he did a job for her mom that he left half done saying he was working for me. I informed her that he wasn't working for me anymore.

Far be it for you to tell that guy what he should do but best of luck to ya anyway.

As far as what defines a sub: A sub is like the Yeti, Sasquatch, Bigfoot. No such animal exist other than inside the mind of those that chose to believe it does.

I had to fill out the " are you a sub-contracter" form a few times. For me I just answered " NO" to the question " does yer boss tell you what to do?" Oh yeah and I also put all my insurance info on there.

I got splinters in my balls been there longer than you had your first mower. Why in the world would you leave that shiney bucket truck to come drag my brush? Something ain't jibin fer sure.What are you after? Yer nose is now wide open looking for climbers, better cover up. Everybody is ####ing climber but there are only a few of us around. By the time you are done paying for their ####-ups you'll wish you just did it yourself... and so will all the climbers.

Let them get away with it, and they'll make a living or an attempt to by crooked means. Be sure he's on the records at bare minimum. This helps police do their work later on when he does more dirty deeds. Also you didn't let as many people get ripped off as were going to be since you did you duty and reported these behaviors to the right people.

Those damn guys only congregate with more crooks, and then breed more crooks because they get away with crooked business. Nothing's right about them until they are turned in and turned around.

Far be it for you to tell that guy what he should do but best of luck to ya anyway.

As far as what defines a sub: A sub is like the Yeti, Sasquatch, Bigfoot. No such animal exist other than inside the mind of those that chose to believe it does.

I had to fill out the " are you a sub-contracter" form a few times. For me I just answered " NO" to the question " does yer boss tell you what to do?" Oh yeah and I also put all my insurance info on there.

I got splinters in my balls been there longer than you had your first mower. Why in the world would you leave that shiney bucket truck to come drag my brush? Something ain't jibin fer sure.What are you after? Yer nose is now wide open looking for climbers, better cover up. Everybody is ####ing climber but there are only a few of us around. By the time you are done paying for their ####-ups you'll wish you just did it yourself... and so will all the climbers.

That is hilarious! Did you invent that? Classic.

Very true no doubt.
:msp_biggrin:

That is hilarious! Did you invent that? Classic.

Very true no doubt.
:msp_biggrin:

I have no idea as to why you both feel that there is no such thing as a subcontractor. I am one myself, and I've used subcontractors. I'm assuming you are both joking, but I don't get the punch line.

I hope you get there permission to tape it, because its a felany in pa if you don't.

Interesting. But I am still guilty. Not only that but will continue to defy that law. It seems like it infringes on my rights as a US citizen... but that isn't saying much I guess. US citizen? Big deal.

No, I don't think i will ever talk or be around any kind of doctor, lawyer or law enforcement without having a film crew taping my version.

The one time I had called to get a straight answer about the laws concerning canoeing rivers. I had a thingy that suction cupped to the phone and plugged into a recorder. I was getting sick of people telling me to get off the property when i was in the middle of a river... espcially the one that goes through that posh golf course. If one of those guys hits me while teeing off as a float my boat down a public waterway I am gonna take it all the way.

Another time I wanted to know the laws concerning towing one vehicle with another. I wanted to make sure I got it right.

Another was when I kept getting pullled over by yer common baconators for not having doors on my jeep. I played what the trooper said. This was years ago, I recall asking the trooper to state his name because I was recording.

I dunno about such laws. I, obviously am only seeking to protect myself and stay within the law and would be quite pissed off if I couldn't tape anything that happened inthe free world.

I recently bought a digital recorded because I DO record what mother####ers say... jess in case they forget what they said. Thanks for the tip, I will make sure I notify people when I tape them from now on. Quality assurance and training purposes, both big parts of my job,I take it very seriously.

Last edited:
I have no idea as to why you both feel that there is no such thing as a subcontractor. I am one myself, and I've used subcontractors. I'm assuming you are both joking, but I don't get the punch line.

While I did say something that sounded funny I am not sure it was joke. Did I say I felt that there was no such thing as a subcontractor?

Bigfoot? Yeah, he is out there, sure is, big as life, leaving footprints in the minds of all who have seen him. I have seen him a few times myself. He is there, well, unless you can actually prove he isn't. If one wants to find him he will. Just don't be surprised when he is not exactly what you thought he was going to be. Same deal with a sub. If yer still looking for a punchline in any of that I assume the joke is on you.

Latest posts

Back