Climbing a pine tree, some questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What he wants is for you to work and learn from a pro instead of making an ultimate mistake costing you and the whole industry. I feel the same learn before costing you your life and raising the insurance rates.

This is like a scene from "Airplane!". "Remember Striker, we're all counting on you.". Costing the whole industry? Give the guy a break!:dizzy:

This is like a scene from "Airplane!". "Remember Striker, we're all counting on you.". Costing the whole industry? Give the guy a break!:dizzy:

uh, truth hurts.

Idiots make our insurance go up and take money from our pockets.

Ill treat him as such.

climbing is very dangerous, you will be in my good hands. i have helped many new eager young fellas ta get there feet safely off the ground. i will teach u the basics of knots throw-ball and proper cutting technique then we go up and use what we learned. after you get the basics and safety down it will be up 2 you to practice, practice, practice. it takes many many years to become a smooth successful efficient climber. in this biz speed comes with knowledge!!! imo white pines are a pita they dont hold much hinge and go where gravity takes em. snap crackle pop and strait down they go. dont ever think you can walk a leaning limb in any direction other than its natural stance.

Last edited:
climbing is very dangerous, you will be in my good hands. i have helped many new eager young fellas ta get there feet safely off the ground. i will teach u the basics of knots throw-ball and proper cutting technique then we go up and use what we learned. after you get the basics and safety down it will be up 2 you to practice, practice, practice. it takes many many years to become a smooth successful efficient climber. in this biz speed comes with knowledge!!! imo pines are a pita they dont hold much hinge and go where gravity takes em. snap crackle pop and strait down they go. dont ever think you can walk a leaning limb in any direction other than its natural stance.

The truth is white pines have a low modulous of rupture but Our loblollies are quite strong, I have climbed both and I prefer loblollies. Teach him the basics of climbing yes you can but let him know how much still needs learned to effectively bring down limbs with rigging and such and that he should learn that as well before embarking on projects that could kill him!

I've been wanting to take down these 2 100 ft leaners beside my shed for a long time. Finally going to do it tomorrow. I'll admit, I jumped into this thing head first and had learned about 50% the hard way. I've teamed up with a guy down the road that has been with Asplundh (sp?) for many years. I installed a satellite system for him and got him the "hook up" so he feels the need to teach me something new about climbing and rigging every time we meet. No matter how much else I have to do I always let him end the conversation. I get him to let me tie new knots over and over on the ground and he doesn't mind giving me positive construction on every seemingly small detail. I've climbed these two trees several times just to practice with my ropes, and I think we can take them down safely. I know I ramble. I'm full of turkey. The only thing I wanted to say is that I'm very appreciative of the pros out there that don't want to make a fool out of me for wanting to do what they do. His wisdom has probably already saved my life, and will probably make me some scratch in the future. Kudos to those of you that have the patience and kindness to tech a rookie a thing or two.

I've been wanting to take down these 2 100 ft leaners beside my shed for a long time. Finally going to do it tomorrow. I'll admit, I jumped into this thing head first and had learned about 50% the hard way. I've teamed up with a guy down the road that has been with Asplundh (sp?) for many years. I installed a satellite system for him and got him the "hook up" so he feels the need to teach me something new about climbing and rigging every time we meet. No matter how much else I have to do I always let him end the conversation. I get him to let me tie new knots over and over on the ground and he doesn't mind giving me positive construction on every seemingly small detail. I've climbed these two trees several times just to practice with my ropes, and I think we can take them down safely. I know I ramble. I'm full of turkey. The only thing I wanted to say is that I'm very appreciative of the pros out there that don't want to make a fool out of me for wanting to do what they do. His wisdom has probably already saved my life, and will probably make me some scratch in the future. Kudos to those of you that have the patience and kindness to tech a rookie a thing or two.
be sure ta empty the shed first:dizzy:. its better to do a few small ones first, but if u must, remember big tree small tree its the same concept both can kill!! post us some pics of thees 100ft pines. remember to go to the work, use both hands on the saw and always have two points of life saving tie-in's when ever running the saw! i think you are nucking futs!!!:eek:

be sure ta empty the shed first:dizzy:. its better to do a few small ones first, but if u must, remember big tree small tree its the same concept both can kill!! post us some pics of thees 100ft pines. remember to go to the work, use both hands on the saw and always have two points of life saving tie-in's when ever running the saw! i think you are nucking futs!!!:eek:

it won't be the first/tallest one I've climbed to take down. But the first I've ever had to rig down. I'll try to remember to get some pics throughout. we're going to use the one furthest from the shed to rig the majority of the closest one down. The second one I think we can swing the limbs with the tractor and then just use the rope puller to take it down in 4-5 ft sections. I'm very excited about it. I'm glad this one is mine and not a paying job. I would have turned it down and probably not had the chance to hang around and learn anything.

it won't be the first/tallest one I've climbed to take down. But the first I've ever had to rig down. I'll try to remember to get some pics throughout. we're going to use the one furthest from the shed to rig the majority of the closest one down. The second one I think we can swing the limbs with the tractor and then just use the rope puller to take it down in 4-5 ft sections. I'm very excited about it. I'm glad this one is mine and not a paying job. I would have turned it down and probably not had the chance to hang around and learn anything.
sounds like to me that u will be just fine. just remember to use some sort off back-cut to avoid peeling your azz into the trunk:)

So youve climbed trees taller than 100 feet and chunked them down?

Nuckin futs is right. Best of luck, might behoove you to have an experienced climber around with some aerial rescue gear.

So youve climbed trees taller than 100 feet and chunked them down?

Nuckin futs is right. Best of luck, might behoove you to have an experienced climber around with some aerial rescue gear.

I climb and piece 100 foot many times it gets harder to find 140' trees
now adays though. Tallest I remember was a tie between sweetgum and
black gum.

white pines are in fact one of the most important and tallest timber trees in the northeast,and prolly the worlds most important timber. at one point in time these trees grew to heights of 200-220ft tall! the white pine has been so extensively lumbered that there are about none of these virgin pines left. i have yet to see a pine any taller than 100ft around my area,usually the wind gets em before they even get ta 80ft tall. its hard for me to believe that your two pines are any bigger than 60-70ft. give us some pics man!!

white pines are in fact one of the most important and tallest timber trees in the northeast,and prolly the worlds most important timber. at one point in time these trees grew to heights of 200-220ft tall! the white pine has been so extensively lumbered that there are about none of these virgin pines left. i have yet to see a pine any taller than 100ft around my area,usually the wind gets em before they even get ta 80ft tall. its hard for me to believe that your two pines are any bigger than 60-70ft. give us some pics man!!

I have climbed loblollies over the 100 foot mark here trees growth are specific to genetic potential and environment maybe it 's Pa! But you are right about the white pines genetic potential the grow tall I seen some tall ones in Mi. The largest pine I have cut here was a little over a hundred foot tall and was actually measured by a forester and thought to be the state record it was sixty seven " at the base and 52" fifty foot up and remained that way till around sixty five foot.

Last edited:
ive cut some big azz pines round here rope!! u know what they say, the bigger they are the harder they fall. the tallest trees iv removed were tulip poplar on Gibson island in Md. i have also seen some biguns in the Sherwood forest in Md. its not to often i get ta whack on old growth hardwoods any more. we have some huge sycamore trees in thees parts!! i love removing the big ones but it just ain't right.

ive cut some big azz pines round here rope!! u know what they say, the bigger they are the harder they fall. the tallest trees iv removed were tulip poplar on Gibson island in Md. i have also seen some biguns in the Sherwood forest in Md. its not to often i get ta whack on old growth hardwoods any more. we have some huge sycamore trees in thees parts!! i love removing the big ones but it just ain't right.

It is if they are dead but I hate sycamores I mean merry Christmas by
mentioning those I dread the new year:cry: Tulips get big here too tall
weakwooded sobs. It is better to prune them though:angel:

I think our tallest is basswood at 151 foot not red woods
but hey you fall from 20' just as dead!

Last edited:
It is if they are dead but I hate sycamores I mean merry Christmas by
mentioning those I dread the new year:cry: Tulips get big here too tall
weakwooded sobs. It is better to prune them though:angel:

I think our tallest is basswood at 151 foot not red woods
but hey you fall from 20' just as dead!

Some one correct me if I am incorrect.

But once you are falling from 32 ft you might as well fall from 1000 ft you are going the same speed.

Some one correct me if I am incorrect.

But once you are falling from 32 ft you might as well fall from 1000 ft you are going the same speed.

Your way off buddy. The fall might be just as lethal but you arent going to hit terminal velocity from 30 feet.

I think its somwhere around 120mph flailing , probably a good bit faster if you were aerodynamic.

The tallest pines on the east coast were up to like 250-260 feet tall if I remember. 200+ foot tall stands of virgin pine were very common with a great many taller than that. The hardwoods around here either arent old enough or the climate wont let them grow to gigantic proportion.
I see sycamores and tuliptrees occasionaly, a couple catalpas, mostly by far maple and oak. No hardwood over 100' really.

MA was clearcut from boston to new york though so thats no big suprise.

I'll get some pics when it gets light. The tallest pine I've cut was 52" at the base and we estimated it was just over 100'. my new tree buddy told me these two were both between 90-100ft. I didn't think they were that high, I have dozen on the property and some much straighter and taller. This brings me to a question I've been meaning to ask you guys. I have an inclinometer, so, for instance, if I walk 50ft from a tree and the top is then at 35 degrees elevation from where I stand, what's the math to tell how tall the tree is?

I'm sure this is probably a simple rise/run equation I forgot fom 5th grade, I just don't remember.

I'll get some pics when it gets light. The tallest pine I've cut was 52" at the base and we estimated it was just over 100'. my new tree buddy told me these two were both between 90-100ft. I didn't think they were that high, I have dozen on the property and some much straighter and taller. This brings me to a question I've been meaning to ask you guys. I have an inclinometer, so, for instance, if I walk 50ft from a tree and the top is then at 35 degrees elevation from where I stand, what's the math to tell how tall the tree is?

I'm sure this is probably a simple rise/run equation I forgot fom 5th grade, I just don't remember.

Pythagorean theory I think if I remember correct it's is 6+8=10 hypotenuse
but it has been a long long time since school so may be incorrect.

So back away 60' sight 100' and it should hit at 80' height.

Last edited:
... if I walk 50ft from a tree and the top is then at 35 degrees elevation from where I stand, what's the math to tell how tall the tree is? ...

If you want to make it simpler, move to where the angle is 45 degrees. Assuming level ground, the tree height is obviously your height plus your distance from the tree. If you can't see the top from 45 degrees, you will have to do some simple trigonometry (tangent of 35 degrees times 50 feet plus your height = height of tree).

If you want to make it simpler, move to where the angle is 45 degrees. Assuming level ground, the tree height is obviously your height plus your distance from the tree. If you can't see the top from 45 degrees, you will have to do some simple trigonometry (tangent of 35 degrees times 50 feet plus your height = height of tree).

THANKS.

I think you guys are right. I was about 20 ft from the top today when I lowered myself down with a 120' hank of rope, there was a bit of left over rope. I don't think the trees are quite 100'. I know some on the property are though. I took a picture, I'll post them all when we finally get them both down.

Shed still intact thus far.

Latest posts

Back