Climbing helmets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
JPS recently wrote "Got me the new Kiwi helemt that is all the rage. Done Blair's Sierra Moreno is carrying the dielectric version for $75"

What are the pros and cons and what other helmets do you all use and recommend?

Thanks,
Daniel

For rec climbing I'll pull out my Petzl but for work I use the Talion. The brim is nice and there isn't a problem with putting stickers and decals on the helmet unless you have to abide by line clearance regulations.

http://talioncorp.com/

http://pacifichelmets.com/

Look at this comparison chart for various helmets:

http://www.spelean.com.au/BW/TM/BWtechhel.html#helmets

When did anyone who uses a plastic helmet toss their's into the trash? They have a pretty short life compared to carbon fiber and composites.

Murph, What do you wear and why?

Tom

I finally bought my first helmet for treework about a month ago. Dunno the brand, I got it from a local saw shop. It was the only one I could find locally for under $50 and it's very light.

Used to have to wear a hardhat while climbing at Davey, but it always seemed to fall off within a few minutes of my tying in. :confused: Other than the fact that it had no chinstrap and weighed about 4 pounds, I can't seem to figure out why it kept falling off! :rolleyes:

I'm sure my next one will be a higher quality helmet. I'm finding that it isn't in my way at all, and much more comfortable than I imagined. I clip it to the handles of my climbing bag when not in use, so it is the first thing I put on when getting ready to climb. Thanks to you guys for being a good influence on me! :angel:

Tom,

What Petzl helmet do you use? Is the Petzl Roc o.k. for tree work? I am planning to buy one from Sherrill But I don't want to spend the $$ if it is not good for working with. I checked out the links you posted and noticed that composite helmets are best.

Last edited:
going by the chart in toms link http://www.spelean.com.au/BW/TM/BWtechhel.html#helmets here are a few questions i have. 1, how could thay make a blanket statement of 5-8kn for ALL plastic helmets. did they research every plastic helmet on the market these days? the elios is realy a thin helmet but it has a foam core on the top. i would think that it would improve its rating.....? as far as composite good for 10 years and a plastic good for 4 , is that really a factor? will any one keep a helmet for 10 years or change when a new design comes out? after any good impact a helmet should be tossed in the trash." Movement upwards after impact Large, Can fly off head" how can this statement be true if a chin strap is in place."Protection in a fall Poor for plastic Fair to very good for composite" fall protection i feel is by design not material. "Stability Can be uncertain for plastic Good for composite" again stability is by design not material. is it me or does the chart seem biased?

Bought this helmet from Sherrill for rec climbing
ecrin_best.jpg

and this one from Husqvarna for work.
1020-269x120.jpg

Spike,

Before you plunk down long green, you might check to see if that helmet has the ANSI rating. ANSI Z89.1-1997, Personnel protection - Protective headwear for industrial
workers. (Thanks TMW]

1, how could thay make a blanket statement of 5-8kn for ALL
plastic helmets. did they research every plastic helmet on the market these days?

The chart is at least two years old so they might not have all of the plastic/foam helmets considered. Instead of looking at the actual numbers look at how much stronger the composite helmets are than plastic.

as far as composite good for 10 years and a
plastic good for 4 , is that really a factor? will any one keep a helmet for 10 years
or change when a new design comes out?

I've seen too many plastic helmets that are scratched and scuffed and too many years old. UV degrade of the plastic helmets is probably the biggest factor.

"Protection in a fall Poor
for plastic Fair to very good for composite" fall protection i feel is by design not
material.

IF you think its design not materials, put a musk melon inside a plastic helmet and smack the helmet with a hammer. Now take a composite and do the same. We';; share the melon juice that runs out from under the plastic. I've done this before. It sure doesn't take much of a whack to dent or crack the plastic. What do you think motorsports and rescue helmets are made from? Certainly not plastic. Compare fifty bucks for plastic to seventy five for the Talion. Since anyone is going to have to spend about fifty for a plastic, it really only "costs" twnety five for the composite.

"Stability Can be uncertain for plastic Good for composite" again stability
is by design not material.

Don't know what they mean by stability. It mighjt be that some of the plastic helmets have four point suspension instead of six.

is it me or does the chart seem biased?

Biased to...? To me, it shows how much cheaper and better a better helmet is. Like John says, "How much is your head worth?"

Tom

Last edited:
The big problem with the logger style helmets is that they only have a single chin strap, if that. They have been known to be knocked off on first impact of a bad swing.

Most mountain helmets you have to drill to add ear muffs too. Not a problem if you wear plugs.

The Kiwi helemt has muff racks on them (now there is a double entander for you!!) but they dont fit out standard, need to cut the tabs down.

I think the biggest thin this helmet has going for it is comfort. My roc hurts my head after a few hours, this one is great. drawback, no vents.

Here is one for chipping deadwood
f8xtremecropopt.jpg

Have I worn that joke out yet? Could you see something like that for operating a skidder on a ladclearing? Hooked up the the AC unit, blowing cold filtered air into you...

I agree that the loggers helmets are not for dancing through the tree tops but I usually just climb and whack, woops, I mean prune a limb out of existence then I`m back on the ground.

I, too, now am wearing the Kiwi helmet. Thaks to TD telling me Don Blair had one that he didn't want to carry home as luggage, I got it from the man hisself.

Seems like the best helmet ever, and my other one is an HB Wales El Cap, with full brim for strength and also composite. Both are much stronger, especially in side protection, than the Petzl, and, of course, all plastic $10 hard hats.

I`d rather have a $10 helmet with a cage and muffs than a $200 lid with a built-in flashlight pod to securely hold an Underwater Kinetics 4AA, Pelican Stealthlight or Streamlight flashlight. :D

I mostly wear a Peltor with custom made chin strap for smaller stuff.
I do have a Pacific helmet and the rachet adjustment is geat and really 'comfy' as JPS says I save it mostly for Big trees/rec climbing and competitions.
I found it to be a bit heavier than the plastic, less vented and the earmuff attachments not user friendly( compared to the peltor setup). So it sits on the shelf mostly now...that way it gets less skuffed too.
Spike ..I kinda knew you weren't wearing a helmet tree climbing, what gives..nice lite pants, shirts, 'sunnies':cool: ...baseball cap ?Sounds like a day out . With all my PPE at least I feel like I am going to work!!
This is Murph knowing he's doing the right thing but still trying not to be Jealous:D
Just take Care Hey

The $200 helmet is just for the groundies running the chipper. We cannot have them breathing all that dust now! Dimestore dust masks are a thing of the past now, they need inline air for this kind of work!

ANSI Z89.1-1997, Personnel protection - Protective headwear for industrial workers - Requirements.

Interesting thread. Only thing I care to add at this point is that my head is worth more than $10.00. What is your head worth?

Thanks,

TMW

I don't like using the face shields or ear muffs. The shield gets in my way and the ear muffs hurt my ears with the safety glasses.

I have a used a bunch of different types but am currently using the Pacific Kevlar helmet that Tom D. was talking about. I like any of the approved (ANSI Z89.1-1997) styles that have a built-in chin strap, the brim is nice and it is lightweight and comfortable.

On the cost issue, I feel my head is worth it if I am protected and comfortable.

Thanks,

TMW

Ok, now we have a problem.
I won`t work without a face shield and muffs so we are back to my original question and that is, who makes the best hardhat or helmet with a face shield and ear muffs?

So is it then safe to say ,
The best hardhat/helmet available with a face shield and ear muffs is what has been referred to here as the $10 hardhat?
If it is, then I`m wearing the best available.

Back