Climbing helmets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The helmet kevin is talking about is the best for chipping brush. One fault they have is the lack of a chin strap. Another fault is that they are clumsy, so they are inappropriate for climbing.
It could also be argued that it would take much less of an impact to injure or kill you wearing the $10 hat, so for climbing, working under a climber, or on trees that might drop a dead limb on you, the more expensive helmets are better.
So that puts us back to the question, how much is your head worth?

One other consideration when choosing a helmit is the size of the brim. I perfer no brim because it makes looking up easier. As a climber, I'm looking up a lot. My ground man complains about not having a brim because it allows sawdust in and over his glasses, but then he complains about his neck being sore from looking up, so you can't please some folks...

I recently purchased a Petzl Roc for climbing. I also have a Stihl helmet with the Muffs and face sheild on the ground. I never wore the sheild climbing, but it is nice for doing dirty work like palms, and general ground work. On those days when it is so hot the sweat is driping on my glasses and they are constantly fogging up It is nice to take them off and just use the face shield.
The Roc is a great helmet, switching from the Stihl to the Roc was like puttig on a ball cap the weight difference was so dramatic. I got it on an EBay auction brand new in the box for $65. -a little off retail.

Greg

JPS wrote "The Kiwi helemt has muff racks on them (now there is a double entander for you!!) but they dont fit out standard, need to cut the tabs down."
I believe you can add the Peltor system to a pacific or petzl helmet. The pacifics are made in New Zealand and the tabs are metric and need to be filed to fit the peltor system. I've got a coiuple pacifics on order and hope it works that out.
Thanks Tom D for the referal. The folks at pacific seem really nice.. a pleasure to buy from.
God Bless All,
Daniel
PS and to keep our sponsors happy I orderred the Peltor system, set 50, from Sherrill today and spent another 400.00 while I was there.

Last edited:
I got the two helmets from Pacific.. an R5 and a WR2000. The latter is a water rescue helmet and has built in retractable eye shield.. very nice. It's also high visibility green. Both are very comfortable and it's easy to forget I have them on when working.
I Am still trying to figure out how to put the petlor hearing muff set on the R5... I thought I was getting the tabs with the helmet.. Pacific just left a message that since it was a scratch and dent the tabs will cost an extra $15. I may try to fabricate the tabs that came with the peltor set.. In any case, I paid $110 for both.. a pretty good deal.
Since my 2 year old has seen me wearing these new helmets around the house he has taken to wearing his plastic fireman's helmet. In thinking about Tom's posts on plastic helmets... it occurrred to me that there really isn't much difference between that plastic toy helmet and the old plastic hard hats I wore... Thanks Tom for the good tip..
God Bless All,
Daniel

Last edited:
The helmet kevin is talking about is the best for chipping brush. One fault they have is the lack of a chin strap.

Similar model as the orange helmet, but with a shorter visor. Increased field of vision and equipped with hearing protection, mesh visor and chin strap. Tested and approved according to EN 397.

5056753-25_1020-329_90x80.jpg

Does he have a climbing saddle?
No..... he free climbs "his tree", the bed post and likes this transfer from a chair to the window sill in the den... does great on them though he is still working on the bookselves, much to my wife's dismay... She says things like "what are you thinking letting him climb on that"... He seems safe so far.. good three point stance and good sense. Our chiropractor says it's in his genes... gets it from me...
God Bless,
Daniel

Back