Climbing hitches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TreEmergencyB, did you check out the link I showed you? For single eye prussics you pretty much have 2 choices but as you can see for eye to eye prussics there are several. I started out on the blakes hitch and have recently switched over to the distel hitch when I started using eye to eye split tails. I really like it. What type of eye to eye split tail/ prussic did you get? I have used Beeline, TechnoraHRC, and Icetail.

yea thanks for the link i order the bee line kit from wespur with the micro pulley i thnk ima end up using the distel also, thought about getting one of them cool hitch climber pulleys but its gonna have to go on the list. how well does the distel work when accending a rope (hip thrust) does the pulley make it easier or is that just for returing from limb walks?

:blob2:

One of the things I like about the Distel is that once you get enough line below it then it will self tend. Blakes hitch will not do that and needed the pulley to help tend the slack when hip thrusting up the trunk. I do have the pulley on my distel setup but find that I do not need it as much as when on the Blakes. Oh yeah, Welcome to the site! -Kevin

Forgot to add that you can use a small loop of utility cord tied onto the biner and use it to tend slack below the distel or blakes for that matter. That hitch climber pulley is pretty nice... and $$$. My $20 pulley is just fine... for now. LOL! I have just started climbing again since my knee injury and geez have I gotten soft!

One of the things I like about the Distel is that once you get enough line below it then it will self tend. Blakes hitch will not do that and needed the pulley to help tend the slack when hip thrusting up the trunk. I do have the pulley on my distel setup but find that I do not need it as much as when on the Blakes. Oh yeah, Welcome to the site! -Kevin

thanks... that sounds pretty cool to me about the distel i cant wait for it to get here

open prussick

I have used a 5 coil prussic forever. Started out with 4 coil but went to 5 coils after I put some weight on.

TrEmergencyB, check out the link in TreeSpyder's signature "I'm knot crazy". He's got tons of knots on his website. Good resource to bookmark.

I'm currently experimenting with the VT but I plan to check out the Distel and a few others. I'm playing around tying knots tonight. I've got an HRC cord and a plane jane $20 micro pulley.

Forgot to add that you can use a small loop of utility cord tied onto the biner and use it to tend slack below the distel or blakes for that matter. That hitch climber pulley is pretty nice... and $$$. My $20 pulley is just fine... for now. LOL! I have just started climbing again since my knee injury and geez have I gotten soft!

I'm still working on switching to a distel but as far as the HC pulley goes, I have seen people have trouble with it holdingyour hitch open so it won't grab. Not sure it is worth the money IMO.

I'm still working on switching to a distel but as far as the HC pulley goes, I have seen people have trouble with it holdingyour hitch open so it won't grab. Not sure it is worth the money IMO.

I've only had problems with it when the biner from the secured end of the line hits the top of the hitch and doesnt allow it to bite, or if I've got to use my 1/2" line with an anchor hitch, if I clip my secured end back onto the pulley, the bulk of the anchor knot hits my hitch and has it slipping constantly, so I'll usually just clip off to the ring on my bridge to clear it.

Its just a matter of setup, and keeping an eye on your stuff! I would never recommend a newbie to climb on one of these systems, as it would be far too easy to send them ziplining straight to the ground.

Just to hijack the thread a little more. What length cord do you guys use for the distal and VT?

Just to hijack the thread a little more. What length cord do you guys use for the distal and VT?

I'm using the 8mm HRC. 36" with tied eyes. Had it for around 3 years but haven't used it a whole hell of a lot. Been playing with the VT and actually have it tied on my climbing line right now. Haven't really incorporated into my work yet because of time restraints. I feel comfortable enough with it now to actually use it on a job now tho. Super responsive knot! Can't wait til it stops raining so I can actually do a job with it.

My last eye and eye splice on icetail for the distel was 32" but I was going for 28" (my math sucked that night). 30" should work fine I just wanted to see how close I could get it and still work.

I'm using the 8mm HRC. 36" with tied eyes. Had it for around 3 years but haven't used it a whole hell of a lot. Been playing with the VT and actually have it tied on my climbing line right now. Haven't really incorporated into my work yet because of time restraints. I feel comfortable enough with it now to actually use it on a job now tho. Super responsive knot! Can't wait til it stops raining so I can actually do a job with it.

Well thats exactly what I have HRC 36 tied, I figured it would be okay for the VT but I was thinking it was a little long for the distel. From the sounds of what Ghillie is saying I am assuming correctly.

Guess its the VT time, until I buy a new one. Leaving the comfort of the blakes is like a baby kangaroo leaving its mothers pouch for the first time.

Well thats exactly what I have HRC 36 tied, I figured it would be okay for the VT but I was thinking it was a little long for the distel. From the sounds of what Ghillie is saying I am assuming correctly.

Guess its the VT time, until I buy a new one. Leaving the comfort of the blakes is like a baby kangaroo leaving its mothers pouch for the first time.

It's not so much what is comfortable with me as what is just habitual. I have used the blakes and other hitches but I have been climbing with a prussic hitch (regular, not french) for so long it's like second nature for me to tie one. I can have one tied in a few seconds and be moving on. The french prussic really grabs and slides like a dream. From my limited use of it I really like it. I'm just so used to doing things they way I've done them forever it's hard to break old habits. I think you will like the VT on that prussic cord. It seems really smooth so far. Are you using a micro pulley with you setup?

Latest posts

Back