Climbing hitches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One way to do it is to set the pull line in the tree and then have the groundies rig up the blocks to put tension on the rope. Then clip on with a biner and jump off. Obviously you can't do that every time but its fun when you can.

ahh yep thats the knot, its a typo in the book i guess cause they refer to it as a bachman in the paragraph, but the drawing has the caption under it of blakes knot. so does the bachman have any use in the tree climbing world, it seems to work well from what i can see but never heard of anyone using it

Bachman is intended for SRT as a substitute for a mechanical ascender, not a DRT hitch.
-moss

never used a figure 8 before not sure how they work. when tieing in to your pull line could you use your 6 loop prussic and come down that way? other climbers i work with are all old school so i have to teach my self all the new school techs they say its just more room for error

never used a figure 8 before not sure how they work. when tieing in to your pull line could you use your 6 loop prussic and come down that way? other climbers i work with are all old school so i have to teach my self all the new school techs they say its just more room for error

There's a lot of wisdom in that statement and I was taught by the same type of people. However, some of the new school techniques are just so much more efficient and make the job go faster and easier. I'd encourage you to continue to explore. Just be safe and go low and slow. A figure 8 has been around forever and is a great piece of equipment to carry in the tree with you. If you ever have to descend quickly for emergency reasons it is about the fastest way to hook up and descend. Just clip it to your D's with a biner, loop a bite through it and go.

I am also studying a lot of new school stuff now too. I just got the book "On Rope" yesterday in the mail and just got a chance to start reading a little of it today. So far it seems like a great resource for new school climbing and knots. Might want to check it out.

i will def check out the book do you know of any web sites that show what the fig 8 looks like with the rope running thru it? just learned the distel and think its great

i will def check out the book do you know of any web sites that show what the fig 8 looks like with the rope running thru it? just learned the distel and think its great

Sorry, not offhand. Sherrill or Wespur may have a pic on their website of it. they are both site sponsors and you can click their links at the top of the page. I know there is a pic in either one of both of their catalogs. Maybe someone else can chime in with more resources here.

2173450103_87636d1384.jpg

Rescue 8

Notice the ropes all run the same on all this type of descender. The "wings" are simply a way to make the 8 a little more "idiot proof" by reducing the risk of the rope slipping into a girth hitch (larks head, cow hitch, ring hitch). If you're paying attention (highly recommended) the "old fashioned" 8 is fine AND it does not have the "wings" to get hung-up on things.

picture.php
RESCUE 8

picture.php
ESCAPE 8

i guess the net has a little bit of everything! I got to use the fig 8 today and it works alot better then spiking the whole way down and a whole lot faster

Latest posts

Back