Climbing hitches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, I've seen it mentioned about the need to make sure it's well dressed before you put weight on it in the tree. I don't know about you but I do that with any hitch I use. Firming up your hitch is just common sense and self preservation if you ask me, I don't care if it's blakes or a VT I'm gonna make sure it'll hold wieght before I jump off on it.

Climbed on the VT all day today. First time I used it on a job. What a slick knot. Very smooth! Only thing is it doesn't like to grab very well when ascending. I'm working on figuring that out. Maybe it's time to go completely to SRT for ascending and switching over to the VT for just a working system. Any way, first day using it and I'm hooked. One thing though, I might have to get me a pair of Michael Jackson's for working with it. The tress cord doesn't cover as much rope as a regular split tail or traditional set up and will burn the hands if not taking care...

i got a question on the distel?

i need help finding a website that tells me how to tie the not can anybody help me out?

distel

thanks for the website. i also would like to learn the vt. i do slot of climbing with our crane and trying to find faster ways to tie in and out without useing the standard blakes or tauteline hitch. just want to unsnap pull my line thru sanap in pull out slack and ready to send dust flying, if you got any suggestions will take any you guys have.

thanks for the website. i also would like to learn the vt. i do slot of climbing with our crane and trying to find faster ways to tie in and out without useing the standard blakes or tauteline hitch. just want to unsnap pull my line thru sanap in pull out slack and ready to send dust flying, if you got any suggestions will take any you guys have.

A VT will work for what you are wanting to do but it sounds like you are just wanting to go to an open instead of a closed system. Any split tail system will allow you to do that. Still-0-Matic's link will show you links to other resources if you go to the home page here:

http://www.mytreelessons.com/index.htm

split tails

well i have a split tail 1/2 and use 1/2 climbing line i have a snap with a micro pully under my hitch it is hard to get it to pull the slack out of my line. i watched some videos on youtube.com they tie some other kind of rope to the other end of the line witch has the pully hooked to it how will that help

I've been using the VT a lot lately but can't seem to see how it's any better then the knut which i've been using for over a year now. The distel is a pretty good knot when you're on spikes but for lots of pruning it tightens way to much and the schwabisch is basically only good for rigging purposes. I'll take some pictures of the knut and you can give that a try.

what do you think the best hitch for trimming is? pics would be great how long of a bee line would you use for the vt? would that be to long for the distel hitch?

what do you think the best hitch for trimming is? pics would be great how long of a bee line would you use for the vt? would that be to long for the distel hitch?

distel I am using 4 wraps above and 1 under (I am on the heavy side) and I am using 26" anything longer I found just causes unnecessary slack, I use it with micro pully and it runs nice climbing and walking limbs. Although from what others are saying the VT may be even nicer.

thanks for the info i will be in touch. will i need a longer cord for the vt or you think 26 is enough for both?

What I did when I was testing was I bought an HRC 36" with tied eyes and just kept retying the barrel knot until I got them to the length I wanted I like the VT at around 26" Distel is running well at 26" but I may shorten it a little more (as my cord is braking in I see a little room to tighten it up). I would start with a tied eye around 30" and see what seems good to you. I think most using the VT are around 24-26" but I am not 100% on that others will probably chime in though.

Yup, I did the same with the 36" HRC. I might have aready mentioned that in this thread, sorry if I am repeating. I started with 36" and it was way too long on the VT. It is user specific though. I shortened mine about 10" to 26" or thereabouts and it worked a lot better on my old 4 D saddle. I just switched to a new saddle with a rope bridge and had to shorten it even more. I might be using 22" or so now. Not sure how long but it's a heck of a lot shorter than I started out with. Use tied eyes and you can adjust to your specific needs. After you get it figured out then you can buy sliced eyes.

distel and vt

:greenchainsaw:Do you guys use a micro pully under the distel like you would the vt? just got my eye to eye and my blaze rope and ready to try them out. Any oyher tips before i get started?:chainsaw:

:greenchainsaw:Do you guys use a micro pully under the distel like you would the vt? just got my eye to eye and my blaze rope and ready to try them out. Any oyher tips before i get started?:chainsaw:

I do, I run a micro to a biner connected directly to the saddle I am mostly hand over hand/body thrusting.

Latest posts

Back