Climbing saw bar length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Alive

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 12" on my 200T. Works great for limbing and small diameter topping. But I've only brought a rear handles saw into the tree a couple of times and it didn't feel comfortable or safe. Maybe due to inexperiance. I'm thinking about putting a 16" on the 200 because I've grown comforetable with the top handle while in the tree.

What do you guys think? I know my 200 isn't going to get me out of every sutuation (like the 361 surely would).

In your opinions, do you think I should wait for the bar or go ahead and pull the 290 up there when its time to block it down?

I guess I have to get comfortable with it sometime, eventually I'm going to be in a tree that even the 16" won't do it.

Advice? Flames? Oil?

16 is the choice around here for two reasons: reach, and blocking... I have guys running 14's and 18's though...

Do they block too much with the 200? I my mind yes, but I'm not the guy 150 feet up... I often watch them block down to about 12 inches, then call for a bigger saw to be sent up.

Bar length on your 200T depends a great deal on your arm strength. My friend recently upgraded to a 16" bar when Bialey's had their sale. He likes it better now than when it was 14".

Round here most 200t run 16” with PM1. Might try a 16" lightweight bar when the need arises.

I have a 12" on my 200T. Works great for limbing and small diameter topping. But I've only brought a rear handles saw into the tree a couple of times and it didn't feel comfortable or safe. Maybe due to inexperiance. I'm thinking about putting a 16" on the 200 because I've grown comforetable with the top handle while in the tree.

What do you guys think? I know my 200 isn't going to get me out of every sutuation (like the 361 surely would).

In your opinions, do you think I should wait for the bar or go ahead and pull the 290 up there when its time to block it down?

I guess I have to get comfortable with it sometime, eventually I'm going to be in a tree that even the 16" won't do it.

Advice? Flames? Oil?

I prefer the 14" and only block to about 8~10" then bring up a 372XP.

It's not that the saw can't handle more I just have more control with the bigger saw.

16 is the choice around here for two reasons: reach, and blocking... I have guys running 14's and 18's though...

Do they block too much with the 200? I my mind yes, but I'm not the guy 150 feet up... I often watch them block down to about 12 inches, then call for a bigger saw to be sent up.

Yep, 16" is it, for pretty well everyone around here. You can cut off logs that are up to about 28", but it takes a while. Also, when you have to reach out to make a cut (with two hands, of course), it would be obviuosly better than with a shorter bar.

Yep, 16" is it, for pretty well everyone around here. You can cut off logs that are up to about 28", but it takes a while. Also, when you have to reach out to make a cut (with two hands, of course), it would be obviuosly better than with a shorter bar.

:agree2: :agree2:

I think anything less than a 16" on a 200t and you aren't using the potential of the saw.

Always found 12" bar on the 020T and 200T was very good and allowed you to use the fast accelaration of those saws to the maximum and was easier to haul around. Found that 12" was enough for the 192T if you kept the tuning a 100%. Putting a bigger bar on just seems to make a small light saw hard work ? Because Stihl says a 16" bar is ok, don't mean you have to fit one to get the most out of the saw ! Likewise if you need 2"-4" more reach then adjust your position or use a silky if it's small stuff !

i run 14" e lite bars.

got them on my 192 and my 200.the balance out well to me.i have thought of running the 16 on the 200t.i may try it when the 14e wears out.

Hi guys and girls, this'll go down like a lead balloon but my advice for what it's worth on the 200T is ditch the 14 & 16" bars and use a 12" bar only. Absolutely nothing a 16" 200T can do that the 12" 200T doesn't do better, end of story

Hi guys and girls, this'll go down like a lead balloon but my advice for what it's worth on the 200T is ditch the 14 & 16" bars and use a 12" bar only. Absolutely nothing a 16" 200T can do that the 12" 200T doesn't do better, end of story

Uhh, like cutting through a 28" log in the air now? How ya gonna do that with your 12" bar, I could figure it out but.....

Uhh, like cutting through a 28" log in the air now? How ya gonna do that with your 12" bar, I could figure it out but.....

Yeah, ya got the wrong saw for that matey

Up a tree you want to cut big limbs FAST lads..:cool:

Latest posts

Back