Climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCMA

ArboristSite Operative
Here are a few books and videos off of my book shelf.

1. The Tree Climber’s Companion, by Jeff Jepson
2. Tree Climbers Guide, by Sharon Lilly
3. The Fundamentals of General Tree Work, by G.F. Beranek
4. Arborist Knots for Climbing and Rigging, ISA
5. Basic Training for Tree Climbers, Six video set.
6. ArborMaster Training Video Series, Climbing Techniques.

All of these can be order either through the ISA or TCIA.

BigUglySquirrel

BigUglySquirrel

ArboristSite Operative
Ok thanks for the advice guys. I cut trees for side money which I have reinvested in my equipment, but some situations require climbing or a bucket. I may try to buy a bucket truck that needs rebuilt. I live south of Columbus. I may consider going to a school or finding a company to work with. I would like to increase my skills.

Gravity doesn't care if you're doing it fulltime or just for vacation cash. Don't forget it. You obviously realize that there is a right way to go about climbing...that's a big first step. Congrats!

Again, Climbers Companion was a big help for me. I recommend that you get a length of rope...roughly 8 or ten feet... and practice every knot you can find. Even if you THINK you'll never use it. Start with tautline, Blake's hitch, the bowline, the running bowline, the timber hitch, how to back up with a half hitch, how to execute a butt hitch. Those are probably the one's you'll find yourself going to over and over for the rest of your cliimbing/trimming days. Practice them till you can do them without even thinking about it.

SOmeone else mentioned it and I think it's by far the best way to get into the tree....find a reputable tree service and make a few bucks as a ground guy for awhile while you're learning. You'll be surprised how much there is to know that you never even thought about. At any rate...good luck and remember when you're trying ANYTHING new--

LOW AND SLOW IS THE WAY TO GO

WolverineMarine

WolverineMarine

ArboristSite Operative
I just missed out on the ACRT course in Akron, it is going on this week. I do have the climber's companion on order though

Good luck if you go to that course next yr copper...I REALLY enjoyed it..my instructors name was Shawn..my god..talk about a walking database of tree/rigging/climbing info..they offer another course on line clearance I'll be attending in the next couple of years for sure...

Job Corps Tree

Job Corps Tree

ArboristSite Operative
Any of the new guys that are under 24 can get free training through Job Corps in the ACRTinc Urban Tree Worker program, on completion leave with a job and a full set of climbing gear. Can be done in 3 or 4 Months if you have a HS deploma. There are 6 centers around the US teaching this trade. 1 in OR,IL,VTAR and 2 in KY

Last edited:
woodchux

woodchux

Addicted to ArboristSite
Any of the new guys that are under 24 can get free training through Job Corps in the ACRTinc Urban Tree Worker program, on completion leave with a job and a full set of climbing gear. Can be done in 3 or 4 Months if you have a HS deploma. There are 6 centers around the US teaching this trade. 1 in OR,IL,VTAR and 2 in KY

You young fellers out there should jump on that offer!:cheers:

Job Corps Tree

Job Corps Tree

ArboristSite Operative
This program started in 94 in southern IL., 96 in AR and so on tell we have the 6 Centers. I did not know about it until 98 or so became an Instructor in Jan. of 2000. It was all Weaver and basic tools , now it Buckingham , VT , double ended flip lines. The goal is for a Trainee complete and be ready to go and pass the ISA's Certified Tree Worker Test,not to have work for 18 Months but to ready in 4,6 Months and less. Have Trainees do it in 3 Months and have the Skills to do it. Most the Job Corps centers have Buckets trucks, Chippers, Stumper. Our center in AR we load up on all of the new tools GCRS, rigging Pulleys, Speed lines, Air Spade. Our guys get the Best training we can give.

SLlandscape

SLlandscape

ArboristSite Operative

I live in Dalhart Texas, which is in the north west corner of the panhandle. or about 3-4 hours north of lubbock (if you know where that is). Do you know of any places in Texas besides Irving where they have something similar to this.

Thanks

Latest posts