cobra problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old timer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
just had to use (cobra bracing )for the first time, anybody out there got the secret of installing the shock absorber into the line , tried vaseline as advised by the rep, but no joy,just alot of frustration?

just had to use (cobra bracing )for the first time, anybody out there got the secret of installing the shock absorber into the line , tried vaseline as advised by the rep, but no joy,just alot of frustration?

Unless its stated that if not used the system is liable to fail I would toss that thing off the closest bridge and not think twice about it. I am not sure you even need it.

I never used Cobra, probably never will. BUT...

If it takes lubrication, I would try electricians wire pulling lubrication, available at any electric contractors supply house. Uncanny slick, and it doesn't leave a greasy film. Washes in water. Buy it in squeeze bottle quarts, with a nice pointy nozzle. Keeps good for YEARS.

Not quite as slick, but more commonly available: tire repair soap. Reasonably cheap, and it dries a bit quicker than wire lube. Some brands are definitely better than others.

I've installed a few, and feel you only need that dilddo if there is potential for major shock loading.

I use dish soap and milk it in a little at a time, if you can do it on the ground and then take it up, it is much easier.

First of all, make sure you have the right shock absorber for the right size cobra rope, im sure you would presuming ya brought a kit.

Install one end first then put the shock absorber in, dont try do it after both ends are installed

Insert the shock absorber making sure no strands have been caught, hold the absorber with one hand while milking the rope with the other until it gets tough, then use both hands with the absorber resting on something. The key is opening the braid up as much as possible then milking the rope over the absorber.

The new kits dont require lube as they have come out with a thin layer already there, its hard to notice but it is there.

Absorbers are really necessary when there is high natural canopy movement. Absolutely dont use an absorber when bracing an already split union or bracing a lateral branch.

I have installed seriously hundreds, its really hard to explain how to install, much easier to show... It takes no more that 15 minutes to install the complete system once you have it down.

Good luck

re, cobra problems

thanks guys ,always best feedback from the pro,s,most reps just want to sell and don,t have the hands on experiance it seems to me now that unless you do loads of them they are a major ( pain in bum) and possibly most times not needed. (ps bet i get feed back from the rep,s)

I've installed a few, and feel you only need that dilddo if there is potential for major shock loading.

I use dish soap and milk it in a little at a time, if you can do it on the ground and then take it up, it is much easier.

I add: major brutal shock loading , its not often I find the senerio. I would rather add another run than to subject one run to that much force. From what it takes to get these absorbers in I feel very glad i never messed with it.

I add: major brutal shock loading , its not often I find the senerio. I would rather add another run than to subject one run to that much force. From what it takes to get these absorbers in I feel very glad i never messed with it.

Out of curiosity, will we run into problems if the shock absorber is not installed ( legally speaking ) ?

Out of curiosity, will we run into problems if the shock absorber is not installed ( legally speaking ) ?

People can sue for anything, you need to word the contract to say that you are reducing the risk of failure, not eliminating it, by moving the loading away from a defective spot.

A buddy/client of mine does steel & lag a few dozen times a year, had one in and a 75 mph wind storm comes through and take s a top off 2 ft above the cable, this spring.

People can sue for anything, you need to word the contract to say that you are reducing the risk of failure, not eliminating it, by moving the loading away from a defective spot.

I guess I'm worried that if the client can prove the cable was not installed to manufacturer's specs this would leave the arborist a little more open to problems. This is the main reason I shy away from cabling, too much liability.

Shock absorber is not necessity rather helpful to reduce shock-loading. Your call as mentioned by (previous) experienced installer.

As with all cable installations, a signed wavier by customer is highly recommended for liability sake.

Installation suggestion; install prior to second connection. Lubricating with bio soap (included with kit) or, as mentioned, electrical lubricant and insert one end then milk the remaining body by advancing rope over body and "milking" forward. If done correctly it shouldn't present a challenge. If you're finding it difficult you're probably pulling absorber instead of milking rope over the absorber. Previous posts to this were good suggestions.

Hello old timer.
Jim1NZ is absolutely right. The installation of the shock absober should be very easy and since 2006/2007 cobra can be installed without lubricant.

There are only two reasons why the shock absorber installation could be difficult.

1. The cable has an production error and therefor the braiding is a bit too tight at a point.

Try to milk in the shock absorber into another part of the rope. When ever you think the cable (or another component) has a production error then please contact your supplier or the manufacturer ([email protected]). We will try to help you.

2. You try to use a shockabsorber with the wrong cable size.

What cable type did you use (standard, plus or 8 t?) and what is the diameter of the shockabsorber you had problems with?

Greetings
Jörg

Back